“Very Comfortable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bellaterra Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 34 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I prefer B&Bs over hotels, and Bellaterra is an example of why I do. My room was nice & clean. There was even a large desk that allowed me to work right in my room. Ellen is such a nice host and I will stay again next time I visit Portland. Super easy to get downtown as the bus stop is just a few minutes away. But I have to say, breakfast by Evan was the real treat. Just let him know what you like and he'll cook to order.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank B_J_D_123_1

Reviewed 30 August 2013

First of all Ellen is very nice and the room was decorated nicely. But the common areas of the house are very cluttered. The outside of the home is poorly maintained and there are items all over the yard. Ellen was also only seen once and that was a check-in.

The hot breakfast is very poor. One morning for 4 adults 5 total pancakes were served as one of the limited breakfast items to share. Another morning we were served some egg/cucumber combination.

The home could be very nice but it takes effort to run a proper B & B and it appears as if the level of effort is lacking. There are better places to chose from and spend your money

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank luv2trvl5758
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Not too impressed with this place. My BF and I stayed in the Scheherazade room and I found it cramped and uncomfortable. No room to put anything on or walk around. We found out ants roam the room and immediately found and ransacked a bag that I had some fruit in. We had to be careful after that not to leave any food out in the open so they would find it. Most egregious however was that despite staying for 5 nights - we found out no room service done after 1st night (bed not made, trash not taken out). The 2nd night - trash was taken out but bed NEVER made. Subsequent nights - no room service. On 4th night - our little size trash cans were overflowing with leftover boxes and I feared we would get ant invasion so we asked Evan to at least empty the trash. He did comply but didn't make the beds. I've never stayed in a place where no room service was done??? Ellen the inn keeper was very nice and always did her best to give us pointers on where to go in Portland. She doesn't get up until after 11:30am every morning but stays up past midnight. Home looks big from the outside but there are only two rooms to see - the small reading parlour and our room. For such a huge appearing home - I would have thought there were a few more charming rooms we can hang out in. The neighborhood however was lovely and quiet so one can get R&R with no noise disturbance. There is Wifi and usually ample street parking. Last word of warning for the ELDERLY AND INFIRMED travelers - do not come her as it sits on a STEEP hill - you have to carry your bags up about 10 steps on the outside to get to front door and then another 7 steps inside to get to the 2nd floor and the rooms. I am not holding it against the B&B but if you are elderly and have any walking/hip/knee issues and have no help - do not stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Foodie222
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed for two nights in the Woodland Room. Some aspects of the place are very nice - the old house has some good bones - wooden stairs, some interesting wood mouldings, decent shower, etc. However, many aspects were very strange and/or disappointing. There is a microwave and a bar fridge stacked incongruously on a table in the bedroom - it would be better to just have these things available in the dining room. The bed was squeaky and overly springy, though otherwise comfortable.

The main areas were the least attractive - the comments by others about a hoarder's paradise are apt. The dining room has a paper-strewn piano against one wall, there were papers underfoot at the table, boxes piled on every available surface, an old 13" TV stacked on a chair and napkins draped over piles of things (presumably to hide them).

Breakfast was poor - essentially serve yourself, including a pile of scrambled eggs served on a plate and handed around. The only thing set on the table was a plate, knife and fork. All the food was on a sideboard or in a small bar fridge. There was no butter at the table, and the bar fridge was stuffed so full, it was hard to tell what was in it.

There was a toaster oven and a coffee maker on the sideboard, but only one would operate at a time. There was a note taped to one saying that they should not be operated at the same time or else a breaker would trip. Another guest turned on the toaster, not noticing that the coffeemaker was on, so naturally the power went out. The innkeeper was not present at breakfast, so we didn't know where to go to reset the breaker when this happened, so no toast for us.

With some attention, I think this could be a very nice place, but the owner doesn't seem to appreciate the norms of running a B&B (neatness and cleanliness are very important!). Given the deficiencies, I found the price of $140 (+$15 tax) quite high, though it does seem as if Portland hotel prices in the summer are exceptionally high anyway. In comparison, it's still a relatively inexpensive place to stay, but could be so much better with not much more effort.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ajho
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The host couldn't do enough for us, she is very knowledgeable about the area and related to us very well. We stayed in the Scheherazade room which was grandly decorated and had the coolest sink ever!

The communal area was a bit cluttered but full of useful books, magazines and fliers on the area.

It is located in a friendly part of town roughly 2 mins walk away from a bus stop which takes you to downtown (buses run every 20 mins or less). There is free on-street parking which is also very useful.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We chose the title for this review from what a previous reviewer had come up with; seemed to fit our experience perfectly.
Here is a perfect case where a website can be very deceiving.
We began to have second thoughts as we climbed the stairs to the front entrance. Hanging from the porch was a set of wretched drapes among the tangles of what appear to be Christmas lights. The front entrance was nondescript and wherever one looked there were piles of things in what I assumed to be a kind of front parlor. As we soon were to discover this was a big house but it was never a grand one. If you looking for handsome woodwork and a decor that is warm and inviting, this is simply not the place.
The guest rooms do appear as they have been remodeled recently which made them on the average side of being comfortable.
In a word the place is drab/unkept. It needs an owner that is enthusiastic and creative enough to oversee a transformation. In its present condition it just doesn't work.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 4everWildcats
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I just stayed at Bella Terra for four nights while doing a yoga teacher training at a nearby studio. Yes, it is on a steep street, as are most of the streets of the Corbett area in Portland. There are very nice coffee shops and restaurants in walking distance and it is close to OHSU and the riverfront. I didn't have breakfast but my room had everything I wanted at half the price of a nearby 4 star "hotel", which also charged me $20 a night parking. A microwave, tiny refrigerator, comfy chair, 5 pillows, bath sheets + towels, great bed, funky atmosphere, a much appreciated clawfoot tub with plenty of hot water after a full day of yoga, quiet, non intrusive owner and guests. I AM going back and have already rebooked for Sept. Ellen is friendly, warm, interesting and helpful. I recommend Bella Terra!

Room Tip: I stayed in Shehezarade - it was perfect for one person - you might want to choose one of the larger...