“A hidden gem”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sandes of Time Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 34 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My, oh my, what a place! I happened to stumble upon Sandes of Time while planning my latest trip to visit my son. So sorry I hadn't found this earlier; what a treat. I've stayed at many B&B's, and this is top-notch. It's beautifully decorated and inviting...the overstuffed furniture, the porch swings, fireplaces, the gorgeous landscaping. They've taken great care to attend to every little detail. I was quite content, between visits with my son, to soak in the quiet and beauty of the home and read, walk around the property, listen to music...ahhhhhh, so relaxing. As much as I'd love to have the kids at home during the holidays, I'm secretly hoping to 'have' to plan another trip around Christmas to enjoy what is sure to be a beautiful holiday setting. Thank you for a truly wonderful weekend.

Room Tip: Although I'd wanted the Spring Garden Room, I was very happy with the Summer Garden Room. Very c...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Such a wonderful place! We were so impressed! The only problem was agreeing on a favorite room. My husband likes the one with the huge bathroom with the biggest shower head we've ever seen (Winter Garden). I liked the room with various tones of green (Spring Garden). I also thought the two room suite was adorable. I know my six-year-old granddaughter would love the little room with twin beds. I'd like to come back again and bring her. The whole house was decorated with such care and had a warmth and homey feel. I'm a gardener so, of course, I was impressed with the perfect grounds.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2012

This is one of the best Bed and Breakfast homes we have ever been to. We couldn't have felt more welcome. Hidden away you will drive into a very lovely property. Everything was perfect. It made our first visit to Portland very pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David and Victo... W
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Sandes of Time B&B was the perfect setting for my Portland girlfriend’s getaway. This scrumptious B&B is on a wooded hill overlooking three acres of manicured grounds featuring gardens, a fountain and even a meandering brook. In the Milwaukee area of Portland we were only 10 minutes away from all the adventures the city has to offer and just 30 minutes from the airport but why leave when the porch swings beckon and the thirteen fireplaces glow? This is a retreat of the modern Jane Austen’s dreams. Romantic and cozy. Smart and modern. The Wi-Fi is fast and the pace of life is slow. A stately historic home with ties to Oregon history, Sandes of Time was completely restored by Terry and Al themselves. A work of love with a lot heart and soul.

*The whole house is heated by 13 stategically placed gas fireplaces. Gorgeous! Each room has individually controlled A.C. in the summertime.

*Every room has deep tubs for lovely baths. Soaking in the Winter Garden’s huge tub in front of the fire will cure whatever ails you.

*A guest kitchen with a small fridge/freezer, microwave, coffee and tea service, complimentary bottled water and soda, utensils, cups and dishes. Everything you need for a porch picnic or a late night snack.

*The refurbished basement has an awesome screening room with many plush armchairs and even front row children’s desks so the little ones can watch too! The projector plays DVD’s as well as Netflicks and Hulu. A popcorn cart completes the experience.

*The basement has a fireplace in front of the full bar. A fun environment for family and friends to gather.

*Torn from the pages of “Victoria” magazine, the home has many lovely nooks and crannies to enjoy. There are three outdoor porches with porch swings, two window benches one original to the home and a large living room where all can gather in front of the home’s original fireplace. You will be able to enjoy company comfortably or steal away to a cozy corner to finish that book or share a secret.

*Terry and Al are the consummate hosts. They love their home and it’s history and endeavor for the comfort of their guests. Not at all intrusive but with a sharp wit and warm humor, I very much enjoyed our chats about the history and reconstruction of Sandes of Time. They leave snacks and treats about for you to enjoy and are readily available to their guests as they live on premises. They have seven grandchildren and are very family friendly. I love how they arranged the home for both adults and children to enjoy.

*Constructed at the turn of the century by the nephew of the designer of the Oregon state seal, Harvey Gordon Starkweather built the home for his family and raised seven children here. Son of a pioneer and a gold rusher Harvey had a hand in developing highway 99E. Politically significant and education minded he is remembered in the pages of Oregon history and honored at Sandes of Time. The past makes the present all the more special here.

Whether for a individual private retreat or a bonding trip with loved ones, young and old, you will be perfectly comfortable and well taken care of. Thank you Terry and Al for a girlfriends getaway we will never forget!

Room Tip: The B&B welcomes children. The Secret Garden is great for family and friends. Rent the whole inn...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2012

So, we just visited our favorite B&B again for the second time in January. It felt like coming home for me! I love the peaceful park like setting and beautiful home sitting atop the grassy knoll. The ambiance is lovely, warm and comfy the minute you walk in the door. The rooms are fresh, clea, cheerful and so beautifully appointed. The grounds are immaculate and stunning even in the dead of winter. You will feel so welcomed and so at peace in this beautiful, quaint B&B. Terry makes wonderful breakfasts that rival Martha Stewart. The owners are so friendly and thoughtful and really great people! The location is great for visiting Lake Oswego area and is within 20 minutes drive to downtown Portland. Sandes of Time B&B is #1.. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mik531
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Been a year since our visit and so happy to see such great reviews -- all well-deserved. Quiet, comfortable, lovely rooms at night, delicious hand-crafted breakfasts in the morning to linger over on the porch. Historic stone Victorian conveniently located just minutes from downtown Portland yet tucked away in a shady corner near the river offers just the right amount of quiet solitude. Immaculate, well-kept grounds that invite a relaxing stroll and even an occasional outdoor wedding. Price very reasonable and have often recommended to friends for family or couples getaway. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All rooms are good and website pictures accurate.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NorCalBeachGuy
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Brought my family of four to this great B & B - home and grounds are gorgeous, hosts catered to our every need, breakfasts were delicious. Location was convenient to Portland and natural attractions like Mount Hood and Mount St. Helen's. We stay in lots of bed and breakfasts and this one is top notch - will stay there again if we're in the area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Lakeshore Inn
Hotel deLuxe
#3 of 144 in Portland
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland

Been to Sandes of Time Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!