“Awesome find!”

Inn at Marquam Hill
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Inn at Marquam Hill
Ranked #11 of 33 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My mom and I stayed at the Inn for 2 months after I underwent stem cell transplant at OHSU. Mike and Nancy were beyond wonderful hosts and we were "at home" away from home. They catered to us at every turn (when they could) and treated us like royalty. The breakfasts are fabulous - almost anything you can think of and requests accepted - and it was so nice to have a kitchen and dining area for lunch and dinner. The location was perfect and the view (depending on the room) is lovely. Rave, rave, rave. I would highly recommend to anyone needing a one night stay or extended.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Holly C

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I had made the reservation for my wife and daughter with Mike (owner's son) for a single room with two beds and private bath. Mike said he could do it if we booked two nights but not a single, so I booked both. When they arrived the owner said they couldn't honor this room ("Mike made a mistake") and didn't realize it was for two people (that is why I wanted two beds!) and moved them to a single room with one small bed and a shared bath. They had my contact information so if they couldn't honor the original reservation why didn't they call? The area and B&B are nice, bed is comfortable, the owners are pleasant, and it is close to OHSU on the positive. On the negative the walls are extremely thin (they could literally hear the people in the next room rolling over as the beds squeek), the gentleman above them kept my wife up most of the evening walking around on hardwood which resinated to their room, and had to share the bath (not a big deal if they weren't private people). If you are a walker, prepare to walk in the streets as sidewalks are hard to come by, they do say it is a pretty safe area to walk. FYI - they don't take credit cards.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 September 2013

With two days of medical tests and meetings, we wanted a place to stay that was close by and reasonably priced. The Inn met both of those requirements. Mike is the greatest host and his assistant Nancy just wonderful. We found our room to be spotless and very comfortable. The only drawback was sharing a bath as we were not familiar with the locations of the other bathrooms. A floorplan in the room would be a nice added touch for location of other baths. We would highly recommend this Inn to everyone. Yes, you do hear activity in the kitchen, but this house is like home. Those of you who travel know how stuffy hotels can be with air quaility just not always acceptable. The Inn is full of fresh air. If you want comfy coupled with a great location and friendly host, then this is your best choice. We will stay again.

Room Tip: A floorplan would be helpful.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Misseastcoast
Reviewed 25 July 2013

When my travel companion was suddenly flight-for-lifed to Portland during a vacation, I found myself at OHSU hospital searching for someplace to stay while I waited. The Inn at Marquam Hill (literally just up the street from the hospital) was more than a reasonably priced bed and breakfast. Owner Mike Watson, has created a safe haven for people waiting on medical procedures, dealing with life changing health issues for themselves or family members, and for those who just need a quiet, homey place to get away. The trails through the forest directly behind the Inn were a sacred refuge as well. I would recommend this Inn to anyone who is looking for a place to stay in Portland. Mike knows the area well and had maps and brochures for almost any activity or site you could think of. Thanks again, Mike! You were a safe harbour during a turbulent storm!

Room Tip: We peeked into some of the nicer rooms and this would be a lovely place for a honeymoon, anniversary...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank NancyCOLO
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The location can't be beat if you need a place to stay near OHSU. The house is lovely, clean and well kept with a very homey atmosphere. We booked a large room with king size bed plus a cot which met our needs well and had arranged to have the room for 4 nights. When we arrived and for the next 3 days, there was no one to greet us or show us where to find things like towels. there was a welcome letter on the table waiting for us, which showed our reservation for 4 nights as requested. After the 3rd night, we were told we had to relocate to another, much smaller room as the room we had was now going to someone else. So even though our welcome letter showed us as being there for four nights, the woman who runs the Inn claimed we only asked for 3. The smaller room was slightly less expensive. Since we'd paid for all 4nights in the larger room, they eventually issued us a small refund several weeks later. Breakfast was served for about 1 hour each morning with a time we couldn't make work for us. When we checked out and asked for a reduction since we had not been able to enjoy the breakfast, we were told we could have made ourselves breakfast. Since no one ever communicated any of this to us and the Inns literature indicated guests could use the kitchen to make tea or cocoa. No mention of being able to actually prepare a meal. So the pluses were that beds were comfy, the place was lovely, clean and quiet, the bathroom down the hall was nice but having to move mid stay was really disconcerting, waiting weeks for a refund and not getting the breakfast part of this bed and breakfast made us feel disappointed and a bit ripped off.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are more accessible. Two of them share a bathroom and one has its own ensuite...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank anansi
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This is not my usual way to travel (bed and breakfast, shared bathroom) but it was surprisingly pleasant and comfortable. Yes, it is a converted home and doesn't offer the most privacy or silence, but it is very clean and well-maintained. Breakfast was delicious and so was the company of the hosts and other travelers. The best location if you are visiting OHSU!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank KingsPointe
Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

I booked a room at this B&B at the last minute wanting to try something different than usual and because it was more convenient to my location for a course I was attending at OHSU. Overall my stay was adequate--the home is beautiful, clean, comfortable, and the price was affordable for a single queen with shared bath and also breakfast. Nancy was very responsive to my email inquiry about availability of a room at the last minute and booking was easy. While she informed me she might not be there when I arrived and a packet of info with everything I need would be waiting for me (and it was), I never saw her or Mike until the next morning at breakfast. Mike was only there momentarily before leaving for a meeting. Breakfast was good, basic morning fare. Chatting with Nancy over coffee was the best part of the stay--the thing I expect from a B&B. After breakfast she disappeared again and I had no opportunity to say good bye and thank her. If you are looking for a location convenient to OHSU with comfortable, clean accommodations this would be adequate. Parking is limited and at certain times a permit is needed which the hosts will provide but it wasn't an issue for me because of when I arrived and departed. If you are looking for a B&B experience with more attention from your hosts and spending time with them and the other guests this is not the place. I would not stay here for a recreational or leisure visit to Portland, but any business at OHSU this would work.

• Stayed: May 2012