“a bargain motel worth your attention”
Review of Viking Motel

Viking Motel
Ranked #71 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The motel was in a location convenient for us. It is a very modest place, but the price was right. There is a coffee maker in the room and a small refrigerator. The people who own and manage this motel are very accommodating.

Room Tip: We found Room 105 to be clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is an older hotel that could easily be overlooked but the location, cleanliness, customer service, and value are great.

Hari (spelling?), the owner, has run the hotel since 1978. He takes great pride in making sure that you are comfortable in your room and pleased with your stay. I really enjoyed interacting with him. One of the most pleasant experiences I've ever had with any hotel concierge.

I highly recommend staying at this motel :)

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed at the Viking for two nights out of my week stay in Portland. The room was clean, the staff was for the most part friendly, but most of all it was in a wonderful location. It's about a ten minute walk from a grocery store and right across the street from the MAX train. It's perfect for someone who isn't renting a car and needs public transportation to get around.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I needed a 2 week stay for my son before University Point opened for summer internships. My Son was doing a twelve week internship. I found this place through reviews and called and talked with owner. I also went and saw the place. It was very clean, safe, and business orientated. I felt confident my Son was safe here for the few weeks. The price was outstanding all considered.

A+++++++++++++++++

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This place is all about value! And for me, location. It's close to a grocery store, coffee shop (which the Viking front desk has coupons for), and the MAX train. Also, a huge bonus for me is that it's just a 13 minute walk (yes, I timed it) from my relative's house. All in all, super convenient!

The hotel and rooms are simple and look rather old, but it is all quite clean. The rooms can get stuffy in warmer weather, so be prepared to open your windows. Also, for the colder weather, the heating system in the room can be a bit tricky... I do not recommend keeping it on over night! You will wake up miserably hot and sweaty!

The free wifi is iffy... it is mostly super duper slow. This is not a complaint, I love free amenities, I'm just warning you.

The staff is friendly and accommodating. I recommend this place if you want a no-frills, affordable place to stay in Portland.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NinerFace
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 months while in Portland for my job. If you want fancy, go elsewhere. If you want very clean, comfortable, and safe, this is the place. The folks who run the hotel were awesome. And the housekeeping staff wonderful. They were all so kind and helpful with my schnauzer. I would gladly stay here again if I find myself in Portland again!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Regsmom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

First of all, when I called for a reservation Brian was very helpful and made us feel as if we would genuinely be welcome at the Viking. And that's how we felt for both nights of our stay. The first night we arrived later than planned and Brian called to make sure everything would be in order when we arrived. Our room was comfortable and quiet and Dave provided a hair dryer for us right away. The rates were reasonable and the laundry room was a real plus. When I mentioned being disappointed that the neon sign wasn't on Brian turned it on for us and even took a picture of us in front of it. It's sometimes hard to get good intel on these smaller local places but the Viking was a real find.

Room Tip: All the rooms are about equal.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple