“A Mini Vacation”

TarBoush Lebanese Bistro & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
TarBoush Lebanese Bistro & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #830 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Lebanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Bubbly waitress is certainly an asset. She gave great advise and suggestions. We ordered "the feast", it was fabulous. We also experimented with fun cocktails. It was a great experience.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband and I had been looking at Tarboush for over a year, worried that -- like a number of places we have eaten -- they equated vegan with gluten-free (my husband, who is celiac, cannot eat gluten or dairy, but is fine with meat and often irritated when tofu is all he is offered). It turns out that (although their advertising copy is confusing), the menu and staff at Tarboush are not at all confusing or confused. Indeed, from being seated to being served, despite there being few servers and a fair number of patrons, we were treated very well. The waitress not only understood my husband's dietary restrictions, she offered him slices of cucumber to dip in the savory herbs and olive oil I was given to use with fresh pita. (Okay, she had not thought about the fact that my bread was going to contaminate the dip, but the thought was appreciated.)
We ordered full entrees, kabobs, salad, rice, all of which which were tasty -- a nice vinegar based dressing on the salad, while my lamb was perfectly cooked, grilled but still tender. My glass of wine was also unexpectedly good (I went with the house red; next time I think I will be more adventurous and try one of the Lebanese wines). My husband said his martini was well made (stirred, not shaken, for one). The atmosphere may not be to everyone's taste (think comfortable living room, not high tech design), but we could hear one another, talk, and the tables are placed so that we did not have to listen to other people's conversations. Oh yes: it is also reasonably priced.
There clearly are more intriguing things on the menu, which on our first visit we did not order, but I am looking forward to a return visit and sampling more widely. I am not sure this is where I would take out of town visitors; while tasty food in a comfortable friendly setting is what we look for, wanting places we can go to regularly, at least what we tried was very good but not out-of-this-world. Still, we will definitely go back.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

This restaurant is small and has lots of atmosphere. It is in an old house. What really stood out was the friendliness of the owner and the waitress. They were SO warm and welcoming...and accommodating. The waitress was so helpful in suggesting wine choice. The menu is very interesting, as I had never eaten in a Lebanese restaurant. We all enjoyed our food. I especially liked the cabbage roll appetizer and the fava bean appetizer. One person in our group had a combination plate with tabullah, hummus, and a few other things; I would have enjoyed that too. I had some bread stuffed with spinach because I love cooked spinach. I liked it but would have preferred it as an appetizer. It was more bread than spinach.

I would gladly return to try other dishes. There were many that looked good to me and the flavors were pleasing.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

we came yesterday for the hawthorne st fair, and wanted to try tarboush. we sat outside, engaged in some people watching and began with a Almaza (From Lebanon) and a stella artois. next we shared the falfel with tahini and pita bread. everything was delicious and fresh. the parsley added a lovely flavor. the server was so friendly, informative, and efficient. it made our day! thx!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

It was very difficult to chose from such a varied menu. I was happy I settled on the Kafta Kabob-two char-grilled skewers of Organic ground beef, parsley & onions, over a bed of basmati rice w/ a side of red sauce). It was simply scrumptious.

The service was also excellent. Having had a long day on the road, I was extremely pleased to be served so efficiently.

I will definitely make it a point to return whenever I'm back in the Portland area.

1  Thank Gunta14

Been to TarBoush Lebanese Bistro & Bar? Share your experiences!