“Still thinking about it!”

TarBoush Lebanese Bistro & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
TarBoush Lebanese Bistro & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #431 of 4,563 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Lebanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 January 2014

As stated, this is in lovely old home that is spotless and inviting. The service was kind of slow and our waiter wore a baseball cap during the whole meal which seemed out of place in this nice setting. BUT - the - food - is - amazing!! I am still thinking about the hummus, Baba ganoush and fresh bread. There are so many vegetarian options that I couldn't decide what to have. I ended up having a veggie mezza so I got some of everything. My friend had lamb and raved also. It was delicious and I can't wait to go back!!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Very pleasant atmosphere...restaurant is in an old house. There was a nice variety of offerings and the food was good. I thought it was a little pricey...I have had good Lebanese for a lot less, but, granted, in a more casual setting. The service was fine, but not stellar.

1  Thank OutdoorBoomer
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Bubbly waitress is certainly an asset. She gave great advise and suggestions. We ordered "the feast", it was fabulous. We also experimented with fun cocktails. It was a great experience.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband and I had been looking at Tarboush for over a year, worried that -- like a number of places we have eaten -- they equated vegan with gluten-free (my husband, who is celiac, cannot eat gluten or dairy, but is fine with meat and often irritated when tofu is all he is offered). It turns out that (although their advertising copy is confusing), the menu and staff at Tarboush are not at all confusing or confused. Indeed, from being seated to being served, despite there being few servers and a fair number of patrons, we were treated very well. The waitress not only understood my husband's dietary restrictions, she offered him slices of cucumber to dip in the savory herbs and olive oil I was given to use with fresh pita. (Okay, she had not thought about the fact that my bread was going to contaminate the dip, but the thought was appreciated.)
We ordered full entrees, kabobs, salad, rice, all of which which were tasty -- a nice vinegar based dressing on the salad, while my lamb was perfectly cooked, grilled but still tender. My glass of wine was also unexpectedly good (I went with the house red; next time I think I will be more adventurous and try one of the Lebanese wines). My husband said his martini was well made (stirred, not shaken, for one). The atmosphere may not be to everyone's taste (think comfortable living room, not high tech design), but we could hear one another, talk, and the tables are placed so that we did not have to listen to other people's conversations. Oh yes: it is also reasonably priced.
There clearly are more intriguing things on the menu, which on our first visit we did not order, but I am looking forward to a return visit and sampling more widely. I am not sure this is where I would take out of town visitors; while tasty food in a comfortable friendly setting is what we look for, wanting places we can go to regularly, at least what we tried was very good but not out-of-this-world. Still, we will definitely go back.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

This restaurant is small and has lots of atmosphere. It is in an old house. What really stood out was the friendliness of the owner and the waitress. They were SO warm and welcoming...and accommodating. The waitress was so helpful in suggesting wine choice. The menu is very interesting, as I had never eaten in a Lebanese restaurant. We all enjoyed our food. I especially liked the cabbage roll appetizer and the fava bean appetizer. One person in our group had a combination plate with tabullah, hummus, and a few other things; I would have enjoyed that too. I had some bread stuffed with spinach because I love cooked spinach. I liked it but would have preferred it as an appetizer. It was more bread than spinach.

I would gladly return to try other dishes. There were many that looked good to me and the flavors were pleasing.