“My Egyptian exchange student loved it - NOT GF friendly”
Review of El Masry Egyptian

El Masry Egyptian
Ranked #1,644 of 4,419 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Egyptian
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I'm hosting a young woman from Egypt and took her here. She was in HEAVEN! She loved talking with the woman working the cart, ordering our food, sharing her cuisine. And she loved the food.

Unfortunately, the owner did not understand what gluten-free meant and I ended up with a plate of inedible food and gut ache. And I totally didn't understand the payment system. We paid after we ate, but when I handed her my card she asked me to show her my cash before even telling me how much I owed. It was very frustrating, and left me with no cash for Voo Doo (for my daughter).

Reviewed 30 September 2010

No nonsense Egyptian street food- a tiny corner of Cairo in Portland. They were out of el koshary when I was there, but fantastic falafel. Really nice food stand/cart with comfy little covered corner seating!

1  Thank dallasdoctor1
Reviewed 24 September 2010

As we walked down the street looking at the various food carts, where Portland enjoys one of the best street food scenes in the country, we were told by several passers by, "they have the best falafel ever, you have to eat there."

With multiple stranger endorsements and a Jonesing for Mediterranean food El Masry was selected. The small covered sitting area to protect us from the soggy Portland weather also aided in our decision.

Kim is an incredibly gracious host at El Masry. The endorsement of the falafel was found to be the pure truth. It was, by far, the best falafel I've ever had. Cooked to perfection, with a perfect amount of seasoning. I ordered kufta kabob, a personal favorite and my dinnermate ordered chicken shawarma. We also ordered a piece of flat bread to nibble on and some baklava for dessert.

My kufta kabob came with stuffed grape leaves, Egyptian rice and a small salad. The kufta kabob was just a hair overcooked, but seasoned to perfection. The stuffed grape leaves were by far the best I have ever had. They were fabulous. The Egyptian rice was nicely seasoned and well cooked. The small salad, was ehh, a salad. My dinnermates chicken shawarma was cooked to seasoned perfection while the meat was juicy. There was agreement on the quality of the rice and stuffed grape leaves.

Our flatbread came out a bit late but was pillow soft, warm, and had a slight butter and garlic flavor. It was also simply fabulous..

We ended up taking our baklava, along with a plate of additional food with us to go. The portions are HUGE and this place has huge bang for the buck mojo. My review of the baklava needs to be taken with a grain of salt because I didn't eat it until three days later. It was OK, it lacked any honey poured over the top. The filo dough was well done and the filling was good, but a bit dry. However, again, it sat for three days so I suspect fresh at the site it would be better.

Everything is cooked to order. You really need to keep that in mind when you order here. You're going to get sit down restaurant quality at street food prices; but you need to be patient for your food. El Msary is well worth the wait - I would eat there again.

Been to El Masry Egyptian? Share your experiences!