“Average food with poor service”

Frank's Noodle House
Ranked #153 of 4,363 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We went to dinner because of course I had seen the restaurant on DD&D. We went on a Thursday night and the place was packed! I wouldn't call it technically a restaurant as it is a house converted to house people to eat. We waited over a half hour and we were taken in with another couple and seated at a table in an upstairs bedroom. It took somebody 15 mins!! to come back and give us the menus. The room was so uncomfortably hot that the other couple got up and opened a window to air out the room. Then when he came back he was complaining and moaning that they were short staffed and blah blah blah which made us uncomfortable (as if we were bothering him).
We tried the hand made noodles which were good but not excellent as they were made out to be. They dropped some tiny plates before the meal without any explanation as to what they were.
The whole vibe was off and I have to say that we will def not be going back.

There are newer reviews for Frank's Noodle House

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We saw Frank's Noodle House on Diners Drive-ins and Dives, and wanted to try Frank's handmade noodles for ourselves. There were several people waiting outside on the porch when we arrived early Saturday evening, which is usually a good sign. Fortunately, we only had to wait about 15 minutes for our table. The handmade noodles in the tofu stir-fry were delicious - thick, with a lot of texture and dense - and coated in red pepper (good thing we ordered level 2 on spicy scale). The vegetarian noodle soup was delicious as well. I would say the only aspect to my visit that I didn't care for was the chop stix, which are not disposable, and I thought were difficult to use - too heavy and cumbersome for a person with small hands.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I had the pork dumplings, which are morsels of light delicious tasty clouds that come with a dipping sauce that make them disappear way too fast. They are that good. I also had the won ton soup, which was also very delicious. The broth alone was a delicious chicken broth that was tasty and had fresh vegetables and wontons (that like the dumplings) were very good. Now to the noodles. I had the stir-fried chicken noodles, and the noodles (OMG) were fresh and tasty and had a wonderful texture that only fresh noodles have. The chicken and vegetables and spices totally compliment the dish. Overall, I have to give this meal an excellent ratiing. eventhough this time I took the food to go, I have eaten here before, and did like the atmosphere of the restaurant and the service as well.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is a review that reflects TWO visits within the space of a one-week visit to Portland. The first visit was fine, and on most accounts was a very satisfying visit: lunch with several colleagues, dropping in on a busy Wednesday around 12:45, where there was still a 20-min line outside. I get that this place is well known. I get that Guy Fieri came by and left his autograph. I get how a place can get full of itself.

That lunch consisted of a deep, rich hot and sour soup, with the excellent toothsome handmade noodles. Mine were with pork and at a '4' level of spiciness. I could still spoon some chili sauce and made it even more spicy. Great meal, efficient service, cheap.

Fast forward to another busy night, Saturday. I had told my friend of this place. The soup! Best ever! Awesome noodles. We ordered a small shareable pot of hot and sour, some dumplings, and some noodles with chicken --the handmade ones.

The service was piss poor and let me tell you why: first, it was nothing like the efficient server we had before. A female server with curly hair seated us, then took about 15 min to get back to us and take our order. Then the worst thing happened: she brought out the hot and sour soup and it was cold. Maybe left on the counter too long? Then it took us 5 min to get her attention and then explain to her that the soup was cold. Did she apologize? No.

She comes back another 15 min later (I am not lying) with the VERY SAME tureen of soup we gave her. We can tell that another soup was not served to us ---by the cruddy burned edges of the soup. She gave us the same amount we gave her back! She didnt give us a new soup, filled back up again!

Wait there's more! The soup still wasn't hot. She probably still let it sit out there before she brought it. Did she say 'sorry'? No.

And all this time the owner Frank in a sportcoat is just ignoring everyone because he is too busy seating people. How does he allow his food to be served this way and for his customers to get this kind of rudeness?

We got dropped by that server because she never came back. A new one brought us the noodles, which were good, great spice level (4), but by then we really had a sour mood about this place. So did others, apparently. A party across from us asked their server over because they didnt like the spice level ---they said it was inedible. Frank came a running and I don't think he placated them,

So two visits in one week: one great and another one pretty disappointing. Please, Frank, don't let all the Guy Fieri hype make your head so big that you lose sight of maintaining food quality and service overall.

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

These noodles are so, so good-- nice chew, texture and flavor. If you are a noodle lover you have to try this place. I would recommend not going above 2stars so you can enjoy their flavor, too much heat and you lose the noodle flavor. Cute place, fast service and low prices make this place a 5 star in my book.