“Wonderful place to stay with a few friends while...”
other travellers have booked this property
Victorian in Winter Victorian from yard
Dining room table
Dining table
Living room, Italian Fireplace
Arch to dining room
Dining room arch to living
Living room
Rose garden
Gourmet kitchen-3 bar chairs
garden stairs
Side view
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
trvlthwrl...
Orange, California
“Looks nice at first, but make sure you read the fine lines.”
Reviewed 3 October 2013 for a stay in February 2013
people found this review helpful

The owner communicated well with me since I booked the house in June. The pictures on TripAdvisor and the price caught my eye along with the many 'good' reviews on the house. I paid my "cleaning deposit." Our stay was from Saturday to Wednesday. The owner said he won't be in town the week my friends and I were coming, he said that the "instructions" will be on the kitchen table. When we arrived at the house, the upstairs light was on and we were afraid someone was already in the house. Luckily, no one was in there and the owner just forgot to turn off the lights. The instructions he left on the kitchen table were the normal things such as where our parking spot is, hot tub use is only for 20 minutes and it closes at 10pm, and how to turn on the tv, etc. On the back of the instruction sheet is HOW TO CLEAN THE HOUSE before you checkout. MEANING my friends and I wasted a good 6 hours cleaning his house as in vacuum, wash bed sheets, wash towels, wash carpets, mop, and even clean the sinks, toilets, and the showers then re-make the beds and stack the towels. My friends and I thought, OKAY we can wake up at 5am before checkout at 11am and everything will be ready. We cleaned even Tues. night so all we would do is sleep on the bed sheets and use the towels and wash what we used Wedn. morning. We met Jen and she said "yeah, the dryer is really slow." Our flight was at 1pm, so to get my deposit back we did OUR BEST and the owner decides to give me only HALF back and his reason is that 'hair on bathroom floors, not vacuum, mopped, bathroom wasn't cleaned, spill spots on carpet, and permanent stain on bedsheets." What he DOESN'T KNOW is that my friends and I were gone from 5AM to 10PM everyday for our vacation. The house was just a place to sleep and shower. We left the house spot clean as we saw it and didn't make permanent stains anywhere. What we should've done was take pictures before and after in order to get my deposit back. I did get half of my deposit back, but if I had to choose between paying Ken extra to do the cleaning for us rather than wasting good vacation time to explore Oregon one more time before our flight, I WOULD pay him an extra amount. ALSO -- THE HOUSE SMELLS. MAKE SURE YOU BRING FEBREZE BECAUSE GLADE DOESN'T HELP THE STINK GO AWAY. WE USED ALMOST HALF OF THE FEBREZE BOTTLE. We all had a nice stay, but the smell wasn't manageable and wasting vacation hours to clean. If he's just going to take the 'cleaning deposit' from us., then why bother cleaning? What if the previous renter pretended to wash the sheets and towels? That was how disgusted we were. Anyways, the owner lives on the premises.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Close to freeways and kitchen use
Liked least: Odor inside the house, having to wash the bed sheets and cleaning the house.
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
3 Oct 2013
Please read the other reviews listed for a more accurate opinion of the Victorian. I ask my guests for a cleaning deposit so that they have the option of not cleaning on their vacation. These guests waited until the last minute to clean. First, these 6 young travelers did not do the floors, as mentioned above. There was no evidence of vacuuming with lots of long hair left on the floors and in the baths. There were food and drink spills on carpets that had to be hand spotted. Lastly, in their haste to leave, they made the beds with wet/damp sheets that had to be removed, re-dried and the beds remade. The dryer is a Maytag, but to do towels and bedding for 6 people does take more time than this group allowed. One bed sheet was left permanently stained-perhaps the reviewer did not see it. As for a smell, no one has suggested a problem before-they should have used the fan, I imagine. All suggestions are taken seriously by this owner.
Phil M
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Wonderful place to stay with a few friends while visiting Portland”
Reviewed 25 September 2013 for a stay in September 2013

My wife and I traveled to Portland with another couple and stayed here for a long weekend together. The house is about 10 minutes from downtown by car. It is in a very nice quiet neighborhood, great for walking or going for a morning run. The house is nicely furnished and well equipped. We had lots of room for casual breakfasts and evening relaxation after busy days touring the city.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Overall feel of the place was great for a weekend with friends
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
25 Sep 2013
Thanks, Phil. I look forward to your return to the Lovely Victorian.
Ken

Reviewed 2 May 2013 for a stay in April 2013

Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
Rugged travelers
2 May 2013
Thank you for the nice review. You and your family were great guests and I hope to see you all again.
Galway
Reviewed 26 April 2013 for a stay in April 2013

Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
WA
Reviewed 25 April 2013 for a stay in April 2013
person found this review helpful

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers
25 Apr 2013
Thank you Robert. I look forward to your next stay at the Victorian.
Ken Murray Owner
England
Reviewed 7 February 2013 for a stay in January 2013

Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing