“Strong drink, great rice, quiet in back”
Review of Soi 9 Thai Eatery - CLOSED

Soi 9 Thai Eatery
Cuisines: Thai
Description: next to PGE park
Description: next to PGE park
Newton, Massachusetts
“Strong drink, great rice, quiet in back”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

This is a rather NEW RESTAURANT AT NW 19TH AND BURNSIDE. I went alone for lunch on a weekday. I was met by Paulina, a pleasant hostess with a mixed Thai-US background. The decor here is modern/semi-industrial. Although the restaurant is located on busy Burnside Street, in the back it is quiet with secluded tables.
I ordered a 'Phuket Island Iced Tea' drink and a lunch special.
Lunch specials are $7.50 for a chicken, pork veggy mix and you can order specials cooked in a variety ( any of 6) Thai styles. I paid $1 extra to add shrimp and $1 more to add calamari to the mix ( the menu is not too clear on the pricing of the additions) and I asked for it to be cooked 'Pad Mai Muong Himma Pan' which includes chilli jam,onion,bell pepper,cashew, carrot and basil leaves. You can order 'not spicy', 'medium', or 'very spicy'. The food arrived VERY fast, even before the barman Paulina had managed to blend the drink.
The drink was a full pint glass of alcoholic tea ($7) which includes liquor and liqueurs. Not for the faint of heart. I was told that the Tom Yum drink ($7) is also very poular - not actually a soup, but a 'soup' of diferent alcoholic beverages. They also make 'Guava Margaritas' for $6 which I will try next time.
The tasty main dish was accompanied by rice and salad. The rice was excellent: good quality long-grain rice cooked to a pleasant "nuttiness", not sticky at all. Just the way I like it.
The toilets are very clean. There was a Plumeria flower on each table.

• Visited August 2011

Portland, OR
“The BEST Thai Restaurant in Portland!”
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Khawp khun kha, Soi 9! Thank you for creating food that explodes with flavor, is beautifully presented and served in an elegant yet understated atmosphere by friendly wait staff!

We went there for dinner last night and alerted the staff we would be using our groupon. The staff happily acknowledged this unlike some restaurant in other places who immediately cop an attitude when a groupon is mentioned. We started with the chicken wontons. They were crisp and the chicken inside was perfectly seasoned with lemon grass and perhaps galangal.

I rarely order duck unless it is served confit (crispy) but the but the description of this special made my mouth water so I asked Mon, the owner/chef about it when she happened to stop by our table. She described the dish. I mentioned I generally don't order duck unless it is crispy and didn't like sweet food too much and she offered to crisp up the duck a bit and use fewer lychees so it wouldn't be too sweet. I love a chef who isn't too proud to alter one of their creations in order to please a customer.

When this dish came out the aroma of the red curry with basil over the duck wafted toward me and I knew I was in for a treat! The duck was cooked to perfection and the spicy curry sauce with lychees and pineapple knocked my socks off! This was an excellent dish (see photo)! I think I just drooled on my laptop thinking about the sauce.

My boyfriend ordered Phad Kee Mao and before he was half way done with it he was talking about returning for lunch this week. the portions for both dishes were generous, which is a plus. I was hoping for leftovers but my boyfriend is like a Hoover vacuum cleaner and ate every last bite of food, his AND mine!

They have a parking lot and as long as you spend $20 they will validate for up to 1 1/2 hours. They are located in a residential condo tower and also will deliver to residents in this building. The owner and staff go out of their way to accommodate their patrons and make sure they walk out happy customers.

I highly recommend this place! Thai food is my absolute favorite food in the world and this has now become my favorite Thai restaurant outside of Thailand!

• Visited March 2011