“Wonderful pastries”

Ranked #6 of 80 Bakeries in Portland
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: excellent sandwiches, and pastries that make you see unicorns
Buena Vista, Virginia
“Wonderful pastries”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

On my last day in Portland, I stumbled on Pearl .... what a great find. The pastries are fabulous with coffee, and the small marble topped tables beckoned us to sit and stay awhile, read the paper, and enjoy them to the last crumb. The macaroons are to die for, as are the chocolate croissants. The real star is a pastry called a gibassier, which is a brioche-like dough with bits of candied orange peel and a faint whiff of anise. Sounds odd, but it's spectacular. Don't wait to find Pearl until the last day of your PDX trip ... go, and go often.

• Visited November 2013

“Yum!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I ordered 2 macaroons when I stopped in today. The salted caramel was out of this world good! Just the right amount of sea salt to set the flavor off perfectly. The only downside was that I didn't order more! The hazelnut one was good. What I really like is how they were a tad larger than most macaroons I've seen offered in other locations. I will come back to try some of the other things they offer.

• Visited October 2013
portland, oregon
“Delicious and very addicting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

My office is dangerously close to Pearl Bakery, but I rationalize my visits by telling myself I'm getting some exercise walking the 5 blocks to get there :)
I've lived in Portland over 20 years and this is my favorite bakery. Besides the delicious pastries and espresso drinks, I appreciate that they seem to have consistent staff - I have seen some of the same guys working there for years.

A few of the things I can not live without:
bouchon - dense, rich chocolate
Sicilian fig cookie - very thick middle filled with fig, perfect flaky outside
Parisian macarons - some of the best I've had in Portland
shortbread - I wasn't even a shortbread fan until I tried theirs, especially the cinnamon and the chocolate
gibassier - it's light like a cloud, amazing flavor
espresso walnut brownie - need I say more?
chocolate chunk cookie - slightly crisp edges, soft center. Thick chocolate chunks, walnuts, and the slightest hint of orange. One of the most interesting, addicting chocolate chip cookies I've had.

There are a few small tables inside and outside in addition to bar seating against one of the windows. It can be quite crowded around lunch time during the work week.
Several of my coworkers enjoy their sandwiches regularly for lunch. I tried the tortilla soup once and it was very good.
I often buy pastries for the office here and we have never been disappointed with anything we've ordered.

There is a bit of a wait for the espresso drinks, but it is worth it. I would never go to Starbucks for coffee or espresso when I am anywhere near Pearl Bakery.

The only downside of Pearl Bakery for me is that they close fairly early, 5:30pm Monday - Friday. My co-worker and I have been in a "Pearl Bakery panic" a few times - trying to rush out of the office in time to make to Pearl Bakery before they close.
They close at 5pm on Saturdays and 3pm on Sundays. So, keep that in mind if you are planning to visit for a late afternoon snack.

• Visited August 2013
sc
“Good place for a treat”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Mostly sweets, not too much in the way of fresh baked bread or sandwiches, good coffee drinks and such. Nice upscale neighborhood to shop around and then break for a coffee or tea.

Visited April 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Breakfast anyone?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

Great place for a casual, but yummy breakfast in the Pearl district of downtown Portland. Smallish place that is welcoming and friendly. The pastries were very good. Our friends had eaten there before, otherwise, we wouldn't have found it. Lots of goodies to choose from. Downside, was we waited forever for our hot drinks. It looked like they were unorganized and chaotic. No apology for the long wait....

Visited March 2013