“Every Item was Exceptional” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aviary

Aviary
Reserve with OpenTable
Aviary is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #289 of 4,238 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 17th Street and 18th Street
Description: Located in the Alberta Arts district of Northeast Portland, Aviary combines industrial design with local art, reclaimed wood from the original site, and locally crafted lighting. With a chef's counter, communal table and a seasonal patio. Three co-chefs, Sarah Pliner, Jasper Shen, and Kat Whitehead, collaborate on an eclectic menu of small plates inspired by France and Asia. Leah Moorhead's wine list draws from boutique wineries in France and the Pacific Northwest with a cocktail list with seasonal infusions.
Portland, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Every Item was Exceptional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Each item we tried was an exceptional dish. The service was quite good, with an excellent wine and cocktail selection. For the quality of food and service, the prices were surprisingly low. This place is an absolute must-go for the Portland area.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank DuDave

“Great Menu, Cocktails and Wine List”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I eat out about 4 times a week all over the world. I was in Portland this weekend to see my daughter and she recommended the restaurant. I went online to review the menu and I was very happy to find that almost every appetizer or main dish was something that I would like to try.
The have very original cocktails as well as a full bar but I would stick to their list. My wife tried the Brix Layer and it was fantastic. They have a very good wine list that was well priced. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and recommended a very good Oregon wine.
For the main dishes everyone tried something different and no one was disappointed. I had the spiced chicken, my daughter had the trout and my wife had beef. Every dish was complemented with really interesting sides and flavors. I will definitely go there again and would highly recommend it to others.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank PSMCalifornia
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Really Unique”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Super forward thinking, fusion oriented, chef driven restaurant.

I loved the small plate concept. I equally loved the mix of Asian flavors with Northwest food stuffs. The diversity on the menu was amazing. It almost felt like we were dining on a small scale "Iron Chef" program.

The pork belly dish was amazing. I liked it so much I ordered another plate . . . .for "desert." Actually, everything was really great. Now, you need to know (before you go) - the flavors and combinations are very different. This is not the type of restaurant that any palate will fully embrace. If, however, you can take on an adventurous spirit and get past some of the unique pairings - the food is really delightful.

If I had one complaint, it would be with the general "tone" of the restaurant. Let me see if I can explain - we made reservations for a Saturday night (all adult 4-top). I made reservations a good week in advance, owning to the fact that Portland Nuevo restaurants are slammed on the weekends. When we arrived, our four top table was located immediately adjacent to the kitchen. This meant that there would more than likely be frequented by traffic back-and-forth all night. I, therefore, asked to be re-seated. The host snidely said she would check her reservations and consider moving our table. The long and short - we moved tables, but only after she made us feel like we were asking for an exceptional level of consideration. In and of itself - this was no big deal; but when the restaurant was never more than 75% full the entire evening, it felt a bit odd.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hillsboro
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go to dine, and be sure to imbibe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Aviary's small plates and larger dishes were tasty, as expected. What we didn't anticipate was how complex and interesting the cocktails would be. They took a while to reach the table (why I'm rating 4/5) but were worth the wait. Intriguing combinations and generous pours. Know that the menu is structured with sharing in mind. It's a continuous list of offerings from smaller to larger, without grouping into appetizers or entrees.

Visited October 2013
spokane
“fun place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

dinner was quite good, but there were not many veggies on the menu. Also a bit limited if gluten is an issue. I would return.

• Visited September 2013