“Fabulous find”

Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: NE 30th Ave
Transit: TriMet Bus 72, 30th & Killingsworth
Description: Cocotte Bar & Bistro offers delicious seasonal offerings inspired by classic French cuisine, a carefully selected French/Oregon wine list, local and imported beers, and a handcrafted classic cocktail list. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, sophisticated and cozy. Cocotte is your go-to spot for a special occasion, or everyday food and drinks.
Edmonds, Washington
“Fabulous find”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Three of us were looking for a new spot to try in Portland and Open Table steered us here. Great spot! Staff was friendly and checked on us often without hovering or interrupting. We shared 5 different plates and all were excellent - some of the best escargot I have ever had. Everything was fresh and inventive and you must give the cocktails a try as well! Wine list is small but complimented our rabbit dish perfectly - which was also amazing!

• Visited May 2014

San Clemente, California
“My favorite French restaurant in Portland!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Every time I visit Portland, I always go to Cocotte! The food is outstanding, the service is terrific and the ambiance is pleasant. They are always creating new, creative dishes that just the best! Be sure to call quite a bit in advance for a reservation because they are a small restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
Vancouver, WA
“Creative, seasonal cuisine never disappoints”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

About every six weeks we dine at Cocotte. What a delight! They change their menu with the seasons but often retain favorites. Freshness is never a question and preparation is creative yet well balanced. The clams appetizer was in a delicious fennel and roasted garlic broth. Their rabbit crepinette is shredded leg meat formed into a disk something like a hamburger but not ground. Served with a cherry jus that complemented the meat perfectly. The halibut, now in season, was exceptional. It was perfectly prepared and served on a bed of fresh peas and pea puree with wild mushrooms. My mainstay dessert is the butterscotch pudding, which is truly decadent. We always have a terrific meal and this most recent visit was no exception.

• Visited April 2014
Portland, Oregon
“A very hard evening to review”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

There are aspects of Cocotte that are truly amazing and worthy of 5 stars and a return visit. There are aspects of Cocotte that are deserving of 1 star and would make me think twice before going back. Our evening was sort of a roller coaster of highs and lows.

We were really looking forward to visiting Cocotte. We had been receiving their emails for quite some time and their menu sounded like a culinary dream. So, I booked a 6:30 reservation for us to celebrate my partner's birthday. We normally celebrate special events at Blue Hour, but after 13 years of being a regular there, it was time for a change. We arrived promptly at 6:30. The restaurant was not that busy, and the staff did not seem terrible preoccupied. We stood there a while, and stood there some more, and some more. Nearly everyone who worked there passed right by us, however, they just did not feel the need to greet us. I would estimate we stood there for a good 5 - 7 minutes. Now keep in mind, Cocotte is not a big place, so when you are standing there, you are literally standing in the middle of the restaurant, and everyone is looking at you. The waiters, the bartender, the kitchen, and the other guests. You begin to feel a little silly just standing there. Once we were finally approached by waiter who had failed to even look at us, as we stood there, he just motioned to a table. Not a “hello, sorry to keep you waiting”. I asked if we could sit at the table next to the table he directed us to and he just nodded. After sitting for a few seconds we decided to go back to the original table the waiter indicated. It was not directly in front of the door, and since it was a typical cold and rainy Portland evening, we felt we would be a bit more comfortable. When he saw we had moved, he shot a little attitude our way. We were certainly not feeling the love tonight.

We were convinced the lack of any real attention was due to the fact that we had our two boys, ages 12 and 13 with us, so we were being prejudged. Little did the staff know that my kids have more refined pallets than most of them. A fact they were soon to discover when my kids placed their orders. Once our waiter finally arrived, about 10 minutes after we sat there. He offered to take our drink orders. I ordered a martini, my partner a chocolate martini. They waiter was not sure if they could make a chocolate martini since he did not think they had any chocolate liquor. Our kids had two Shirley Temples. Another 10 minutes went by, without any drinks showing up. The waiter returned saying they did in fact not have any chocolate liquor. He also had my martini in hand, but no drinks for the kids. I had to eventually ask for their drinks since it had been 15 minutes since we ordered them and the bar was not busy. Eventually all the drinks arrived and we could make a birthday toast.

We ordered some caviar to start the night off. The kitchen had to boil the egg for the presentation so offered us a complimentary Duck Breast Prosciutto, which was AMAZING. The caviar was also very good once it arrived, although Steelhead is not my favorite caviar. This is where the waiter realized he had prejudged my kids wrong as they were the ones who ordered the caviar and ate half of the Duck.
 When it came time to order, again the waiter did not interject any suggestions or help us with our choice, so we just winged it.
 So this is the reason Cocotte only deserves a one star. Their staff is slow, inattentive, and lacking any sort of personality or love for food.

Now for the food and the 5 star rating. (with a few minor exceptions)

First & Second Courses: Pickle Plate was fantastic. Highly recommend them as a first course. The Chicken Liver Mousse is to die for! I had to fight off my kids and partner as they all tried to eat my portion. We gave the Salt Cod Brandade a try. I must say it was not my favorite. It lacked much flavor and was a bad choice to follow the mousse. The Radicchio with Caesar dressing, shelling beans, pickled shiitakes, truffle croutons was really bad. I mean really bad. The bitterness was overwhelming and nobody got beyond one bit. When the waiter came to take the salads away, it was obvious we did not like it, but he seemed not to care. I highly recommend the Leek Celeriac Soup.
 For our Third Course we had the Duck Confit, Farrotto ( an very imaginative twist on a traditional Risotto, and the Poulet En Cocotte. The duck was tender and flavorful. The Poulet was moist and very well seasoned. Being a big, big fan of risotto, I can honestly say that I liked this dish better.

By the time we had finished our three courses we were stuffed. So much so that I was trying to figure out what to do if the waiter offered us a dessert for my partners birthday. We were all too full to eat anything, but I did not want to be rude. Turns out I did not have to worry about that, the waiter never even acknowledged we were there for a birthday even though I had put it in the reservation request.

Bottom line, Cocotte is worth the visit. Maybe the ENTIRE front of the house staff was just having a bad day. We will certainly give them a second chance. If the staff has the same issues, then it will most certainly be our last.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank PDX_1st
Portland, OR
“Delicious from Drinks to Appetizer to Dessert”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My girlfriend and I picked Cocotte after reading other reviews of this quaint, cozy restaurant. The staff were very knowledgeable about the drink and food menus and we started with two of the house special mixed drinks-both were spot on and delicious. We shared the smoked/cured duck breast appetizer and were impressed with the silkiness of the duck and the delicious mushroom accompaniment. We then shared the shaved beet salad with candied hazelnuts and chevre and were again impressed with the flavors and the variety of textures-I would order this salad again for sure! For the main courses, we had the cod and the chicken and both mains were piping hot, really good and served with balanced veggies and grains. The food was truly wonderful. Dessert was a pistachio cake with lemon curd and dates-out of this world. I would recommend this eatery as a cozy place to have a well designed meal.

• Visited February 2014