“Our Favorite in Portland”

Cascade Brewing Barrel House
Ranked #95 of 4,363 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Let me start by saying my hubby and I are beer nerds. We love it, we brew it, and we travel for it. While in Portland ( a great beer city), we visited 14 different breweries. Cascade was hands down our favorite and the only place we visited twice. They are the Home of Sour Beers, but don't let that scare you, I personally am not a huge fan of sours, but I loved the beer here. They have such unique beers - both sour and non-sour. Everyone can find something to love here. To top it off - the food is pretty great, too. Go and enjoy!

There are newer reviews for Cascade Brewing Barrel House

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

While visiting Portland on a whim I used the internets to look up "sour beer, PDX" and what a delight to have this place pop up. My wife and I tasted 10 sours overall and loved some and could pass on others. But what a delightful way to spend a warm spring evening on a patio.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I always recommend this place to clients because they have such a unique menu of beers. There's a huge patio so it's great to chill outside, but the inside was extremely modern, lacking character and very crowded. They don't have a very good system as far as ordering. If you sit outside you have to stand in a huge line to order and be in the way of everyone. There is no outside service. We had some appies, which were interesting and tasty, but the menu is small.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Two sips in, I embraced the sour beer revolution. Wow! This is place will convert even the most snobbiest of beer enthusiasts. A true gem - unique to all the beer drinking joints in the US. Even the hipsters were smiling. Sluckumms approved

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Barrel aging and sour beers are the name of the game here at Cascade Barrel Brewing and one cannot help but be impressed. Beers lovers will be more then impressed with the range of flavors and complexities that can come out of these beers. Unfortunately, if you cannot get down with the sour, you'll miss some of their best work, but they do serve up a few straight beers (IPA, pale ale, etc) and some barrel aged stouts and the like. I would not mark this only for the beers lovers, though. This is for those with a sense of adventure in taste because most of these do not meet your normal beer tastes. Be warned, though, these beers don't come cheap and they are often high in alcohol. So your body and wallet will thank you if you take it easy.
So while in Portland, I encourage trying a range of breweries, some putting out solid beers for decades and those that leave you with that "wow." Pull a seat up to the bar or on a nice day hang at their outside tables and get ready for a wow.