“Very unique”

Cascade Brewing Barrel House
Ranked #81 of 4,249 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Drinks, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Union City, New Jersey, United States
“Very unique”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Cascade is an incredibly unique brew pub, even for Portland. Most of the beers are barrel aged sours, many of which are wild fermented, imparting a unique and complex flavor profile. Don't let the sour description put you off, they are all delicious. The Belgian style ones were my favorite with a nice citrus hop note with the sourness. I didn't love the cherry lamnics or kriek, as they were a bit earthy. Even the summer ale was nice and light and crisp and great for a sunny day. The beer garden outside is also quite nice though it only overlooks a parking lot and the street, apparently common for Portland breweries. The staff wasn't super helpful about the selections, but the menu had good descriptions so we were set by ourselves.

Middletown, New Jersey
“My Favorite Brewery in Portland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I'll admit it. Before going to Cascade - I only liked sours. Well, let me tell you, after leaving Cascade - I LOVE sours! (And that's not just the post sours buzz talking!) We stopped here for a tasting on our May trip to Portland. The atmosphere is so fun! Tables made out of barrells add to the charm of the room. We went on a beautiful day, and there was outdoor seating as well. One of my favorite features of doing the tasting at Cascade is that you pick what you want to taste. They have a menu that has about 15 or so different beers and they are in the order that is recommended for tasting. You can pick and choose what you want to taste, which I love because even though I love beer, occasionally I will get a dud in a tasting tray. Hey, it happens, right? There were no duds at Cascade. The sours and fruit tarts were all so delicious! They have a magician in the back who can balance the fresh fruit flavors with just the right amount of pucker. So refreshing! Cascade is definitely on my list of must see breweries in Portland.

• Visited May 2014
North Carolina
“Our Favorite in Portland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Let me start by saying my hubby and I are beer nerds. We love it, we brew it, and we travel for it. While in Portland ( a great beer city), we visited 14 different breweries. Cascade was hands down our favorite and the only place we visited twice. They are the Home of Sour Beers, but don't let that scare you, I personally am not a huge fan of sours, but I loved the beer here. They have such unique beers - both sour and non-sour. Everyone can find something to love here. To top it off - the food is pretty great, too. Go and enjoy!

• Visited May 2014
Karlskrona, Sweden
“Pucker up”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

While visiting Portland on a whim I used the internets to look up "sour beer, PDX" and what a delight to have this place pop up. My wife and I tasted 10 sours overall and loved some and could pass on others. But what a delightful way to spend a warm spring evening on a patio.

Portland, Oregon
“Excellent beer tasting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I always recommend this place to clients because they have such a unique menu of beers. There's a huge patio so it's great to chill outside, but the inside was extremely modern, lacking character and very crowded. They don't have a very good system as far as ordering. If you sit outside you have to stand in a huge line to order and be in the way of everyone. There is no outside service. We had some appies, which were interesting and tasty, but the menu is small.

• Visited April 2014