“House of Sour”

Dining options: After-hours
Las Vegas NV
“House of Sour”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Sours have recently become my favorite and most sought style. With this in mind, although I had bookmarked a plethora of Portland breweries, I knew that Cascade was one I couldn't miss. And yet, I had no idea.

Succinctly, Cascade is sour heaven. They even have a sign that reads, "House of Sour." Indeed.

I usually opt for tasters on my first visit to a brewery. The menu says you can order up to four per person at a time. I put my faith in our server and let him pick my four. The result was Noyaux, Kriek, Blackcap Raspberry, and Sang Noir. Noyaux and Kriek were great. Blackcap Raspberry was decent. Sang Noir? Absolutely terrific!

In contrast, my girlfriend does not like the sours. She says it reminds her of natto, which is strange because it's one of her favorite foods. Anyway, she went with Apricot Ale, Honey Ginger Lime, and Oblique B&W Coffee Stout. I didn't care for the Apricot. The Honey Ginger Lime was very good with the honey and ginger being very prominent. Finally, the Oblique was quite excellent. A tasty pale stout with a very pronounced coffee flavor.

While Russian River's Consecration is still my favorite sour, Cascade has them beat by way of variety. Most of their menu seems to be sours, upholding their House of Sour mantra. The patio is very large and was definitely the right choice on a mild summer August evening. The location is easily reachable with ample street parking in the area. There is even a goat field across the road (though I read they are moving soon).

We left Cascade with a bottle of Figaro, a couple of t-shirts, and the knowledge that I will most certainly be back.

• Visited August 2014

Pennsylvania
“Nice variety”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We went to Cascade just for the sours, we heard from folks in Portland it was the place to have the best brews. I must admit to be fond of sours and like the Russian River style. Most of Cascades seemed more sweet then sour. It was a low keyed spot, we enjoyed being out side with our bears. Service was a bit slow.

Visited August 2014
Las Vegas, NV
“Too chi-chi”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Went there and the menu is more for the wine tasters than beer tasters...if sour beer is your preferance then have fun here. The servers were stand-offish and it's a very sterile enviroment. Not very welcoming.

• Visited January 2014
Seattle, Washington
“American made Belgian style fruit beers”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent quality artisanal beers with tasty small plates. Low key friendly environment. We were impressed by the new offerings and jealous of the locals.

Huntsville, Alabama
“If you think you don't like sour beer, you may change your mind”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I think this was our favorite beer scene in all of Portland. The staff was really attentive and you can tell they are passionate about their beers. We sat at the bar, but had it been nice outside, we would have sat outside because they have great seating outdoors. Inside is equally cool and spacious. We sampled just about all of the beers and at $2-$3 per sample, it's totally worth it and you can share with a date. Our favorites were: Noyaux, Vlad the Imper Ale, the Honeyed Comb and their 2 non-sour beers the Anti-Bourbonic and the Anti-Vlad Imper Ale. We came there not thinking we were sour beer fans, based on past sour beer experiences, and left as new fans with excitement. We were just disappointed that we couldn't take a growler home of the Honeyed Comb.

We later returned in January with friends. Again, we had a great experience. Let me be clear, I really don't like sour beer and yet I love their beers!

If you want a different experience in Portland, definitely stop by.

• Visited January 2014