Crystal Hotel
Dossier(Portland)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Lucia(Portland)
  • Restaurant
All reviewscrystal ballroomzeus cafeshared bathroomsoaking poolwhole foodsmcmenamins hotelsthe pearlbasement barquirky hotelprivate bathsalt water poolstreet noisefun hotelburnside streetpowell's booksfunky funfourth floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I was wisked away to the Crystal for a romantic Portland weekend trip. This was my first visit to Portland and was extremely excited to experience the city. My visit began with check-in at this McMennamin's hotel. Instant love! I can't imagine another hotel right up my alley. Charming, full of character, with top-notch service. Check-in was a breeze and the front desk staff was lovely. She graciosuly advised us of a special promotion that was running- a photo scavenger hunt good for a free night. Yes, please. We participated in the scavenger hunt which allowed us to tour all the floors and take advantage of the great photos and art work located on each floor. I got side-tracked and had to take pictures of all the great sayings hand painted on each hotel room door like "Who do you love".
Our room was the "lazy eye", which I instantly fell in love with! The mural headboard was something I wished I could replicate in my own home. The music lyrics scrawled along the mouldings spoke to me.
The hotel was centrally located allowing us to easily walk anywhere in the downtown area. Located directly across from a Whole Foods allowed us to stock up on snacks and wine for the evenings.
The Zeus Cafe was gorgeous and had the best creme brulee for a late evening dessert. The wait staff was courteous and overall happy to be there.
The salt water soaking pool was a real treat for lovers. My love an I enjoyed each other's company in the romantically lit pool while relaxing in the heated waters.
I would definitely stay here again, and because we won a free night during the scavenger hunt we will be returning and soon!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LuluVee
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We spent a Friday and Saturday night in the Silversun Pickups 'Lazy Eye' room on the second floor. Everything was brilliant. The shared bathroom was no problem - never had to wait. The mattress was a little soft for me but then I like a rock-hard futon.
There were plenty of towels and toiletries. There were coat hangers on a rail for our clothes. A sink for cleaning teeth &c. The towels were changed.
The hot pool was lovely - not very busy either.
There was no smoking of any type anywhere.
It was great there were no TVs as I don't want to watch it, neither do I want to listen to the neighbour's tv.
We did get a bit of 'noise' from the M.Ward 'Paul's Song' room directly above us but it was 1 am after all. It did go on for a while as the poor guy had obviously drunk too much and just couldn't quite finish the job... Luckily, we had a clock radio to listen to.
I sleep with earplugs so didn't notice any trucks in the morning, Mr S doesn't use earplugs and he didn't notice anything either.

We had a beer tasting of 6 beers and it was just $8. The India Pale Ale was deliciously hoppy. The truffle fries, a salad, and clams were all wonderful.
Breakfast was mushrooms and creamy polenta - aaaahhhhh...

The staff at the front desk and in the restaurant/bar were all exceptional. I would recommend the Crystal Hotel and we will certainly stay here again when in Portland.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dr S
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We stayed here for Trey Anastasio show @ the crystal ballroom. Got the "Turn on your lovelight " room and as expected it was cute and quirky like all McMenamins . The location was literally across the street from the crystal ballroom which was very convenient . The check in was a quick process parking however was down the street and was about $16 per night. They did have a spot you park to unload out front which was nice. The 4th floor was quiet - the place was full, but it was quiet we slept well. Although it was a shared bathroom experience, they were clean and there were 4 per floor so we never had to wait. the king rooms have their own bathrooms but for one quick night we got a queen with shared bathroom and that was fine for us. Late night after the show, the restaurant was closed but the cellar bar was open, a bit of a wait, but we got a jar of beer and truffle fries which were tasty for about $15. We had a good time, good stay and the staff was pleasant and helpful. This was not a resort but was a clean comfortable stay after the show and was close ,

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2013

At $85 a night and the promise of the eccentricities that come with a McMeanmins property, I knew it was a educated crapshoot. The hotel is centrally located in a great area of Portland, and if you love live music, the Crystal Ballroom is just next door. That's the problem. You can hear the music way into the wee hours. In fact, you can hear EVERYTHING, from people in the halls to trucks backing up at 3 PM in the morning to the last set of a Grateful Dead tribute band. I guess the invitation to take the earplugs at the front desk should have been my first hint.

I had called ahead to ask a few questions about parking etc, and was a little surprised at the lack of "enthusiasm" I received from the person on the phone. However, upon my arrival and throughout the stay, the front desk folks perked up. Upon finding out I was in the werewolf room, I didn't know what to expect. I entered with mixed feelings as the decor was fashionable, comfortable and cool....I'd call it "safe funky." The lack of light, floor space, TV and closet was a bummer. Not to mention the bathroom, although I knew that going in. I figured I could handle the shared bath but that became a little tiresome.

In the end, I may just not be the right demographic for this hotel. I like what they've done with it, and honestly, if I was visiting Portland from another country, I'd be enchanted. I kind of just left the experience really tired from lack of sleep.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Like many McMenamins properties, the place is great for travelers. Prices are reasonable, and if you don't plan on staying in the room all day but want a nice place to crash, swim, have a wine or a beer and investigate the city you are in luck.

No TV's or bathroom in the room (at least not ours) and I think that is standard but who needs to watch TV at the hotel anyway. And the bath's in the hall are fine. More Euro style. Its more about being out and doing things and getting away from TV for a while.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple