“Comfortable and Friendly Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #42 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Comfortable and Friendly Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Crown Plaza. From the free shuttle, friendliness and helpfulness of the front desk staff, cleanness of the room, down to the daily water in the lobby - I wished all of my travels were this inviting and helpful. If I had to complain about only one thing it might would be the bar but heck everyone has a bad day. If you are traveling to downtown, its an easy walk to the rail. Great stay and would definitely recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you had a great stay and enjoyed the hotels many amenities and great location. We look forward to your return visit and appreciate your recommendation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

The best thing about the CP Convention Center has to be the staff. Nice job team - every request - forgotten toiletries, restaurant deliveries to hotel, local free shuttle or public transport directions, even suggestions on wines in the lounge - was answered enthusiastically. Very helpful group.

The room was comfortable and I liked the mini-fridge, microwave and coffee maker that were provided. This made my week there feel a bit more like home. The bed was comfortable but the sheets and blankets were a bit scratchy (I find this to be the difference b/w a 3.5 and 4 or 5 star hotel - it always comes down to the sheets!).

Overall I had no issue with the hotel itself, but I did NOT enjoy the location. There just wasn't much to do within a walking distance like some of the other Portland hotels I've stayed at recently. Granted the shuttle and tri-max are close by, but I just enjoy the ability to stroll from my hotel a couple of blocks and enjoy the local eateries - just wasn't a possibility here...unless you count Wendy's, Subway or McDonald's local restaurants!

Again, the hotel was great, and I suppose if you are working at the convention center it would be a fine location - but I was there for a different reason, so wasn't all that great for my needs.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank winegirlSanFrancisco
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We appreciate you acknowledging the friendly staff and pointing out the level of our room features and amenities that set us apart. Please let me know if I can in the future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

The staff was friendly, the hotel was clean and the room was just as nice as pictured on their website. You have to pay to park in the hotel's lot but there are a few metered spots directly in front of the main door if you get lucky. The hotel is very close to the tram/rail that takes you downtown (which also is close, but wouldn't recommend walking because it is a bit of a trek and over a bridge though I did see someone do it) and is also extremely close to the Rose Garden (walking distance). As far as getting to/from the airport, it is very easy and convenient. The hotel even has a shuttle to/from the airport. There are a couple computers you can use in the business center which is pretty much just an alcove with enough room to fit a couple computers and chairs. Also, WiFi is available and included in the room charge. I could see a fairly main street from my room's window but I didn't hear any noise. There is complimentary coffee in the lobby in the mornings and fruity water in the afternoons (cute touch, I thought). There is a single cup coffee maker in the room but ours didn't work. When I finally got around to telling the front desk, it was the day before we were checking out. I think they sent someone to look at it the next morning but because we checked out that day, I am not sure of the outcome. There is a small restaurant just off the lobby as well as a bar. The restaurant breakfast was tasty and a tad pricier than I expected but not outrageously so. The quality of the food made it justifiable. Overall, the hotel was very nice and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ragnlunatic
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us and writing a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall and that you mentioned the free airport shuttle, unique to downtown hotels. As an alternative to walking we also have free bikes which are a fun alternative when visiting Portland; by the way we are the number one biking city in the USA. I look forward to passing along your comments about the restaurant as I am proud of what their food and service quality. Hope to see you again soon.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I took my familly just to get out of the house for our last getaway before school. There is a lot of places to choose from but I chose Crowne Plaza downtown Portland. 3 kids ages 2-7 so cleanlinesss is a must. WOW this place blew me away. I have traveled 260 days a year staying in hotels across the country so I have been in some dumps. Even under the lamps was clean. The beds were top notch and sheets were so comfortable. The pool was a 10 again plenty of towels and super clean. Staff was very friendly, all you have to do is ask and they brought it to your room. This place has a little store so you can buy snacks and milk ect. and talk to a person not just a vending machine. I never write reviews but this place blew me away. Thank you Crowne Plaza see you again soon!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for Joining rooms if bring your family they are wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your great review. We are happy to hear that you and the family enjoyed your stay so much. My team and I look forward to your return.
Have a great school year.
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

We just recently returned from a 6 night stay at the Crowne Plaza. Everything was just lovely. The staff was always eager and willing to help and extremely pleasant. Our room was very nice and spotlessly clean. The location was perfect for us. I would suggest staying on the side of the hotel not facing the highway because of the road noise. The pool area is nice as well . Kind of a cross between an indoor/ outdoor.
I would give this hotel high marks... Very well run.

• Stayed August 2012
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I am happy that your extended stay was great and that you found our location ideal. We love when our guests have amazing stays! Please feel free to contact me directly at anytime in the future when you plan on being back in Portland. We want to be your hotel of choice all the time.
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

The hotel room was very updated, looked new.
iPod docking station is not something you see that often in hotels.
The hotel location, despite outside of the main downtown area, is not that far away (30min walking distance).
BUT even better - the hotel provides a free shuttle to your destination downtown. It saved a lot of taxi fair!

One thing though I would change is that breakfast is not included in the room fare.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gadi W
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the Crowne Plaza Portland Downtown and we look forward to your next visit. Please let me know if I can be of service in the future.

Take care.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

This hotel wasn't my first choice on the list but I'm surprised how clean and well maintained this 3 star hotel is. I like the fact that it's close to LLoyd centre mall. Restaurants, cafes and small shops are within walking distance. Public transportation is easy access. The room is very spacious (two queen size beds) and it's vert quiet. I read from previous reviewers about housekeeper knocking on the door at 8 a.m., so I quickly put the "do not disturb" sign on the front door but forgot about it the second day and sure enough, the housekeeper knock on the door at around 9a.m. It's a soft knock but it's just annoying. The hotel also has bikes for visitors. We would love to ride the bikes around the neighbourhood but we have two toddlers. The hotel ony have bikes for adults. Over all, good stay. OK neighbourhood.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AsiatripWQB
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. I would like to apologize for the knock on the door, we should have honored the do not disturb sign. I will definitely follow up with housekeeping. We are very happy that you had a great stay overall and that you enjoyed the hotels many amenities and great location.

We look forward to seeing you in the future. Please let me know if I can assist in your future booking plans.

Thanks.