“A decent reason to splurge”

Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #41 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Boulder, Colorado
“A decent reason to splurge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights to celebrate our anniversary. Overall we had a good time. The room was small with little room to sit other than the bed. Parking is not free, and is a whopping $19 a night. But the bed was super duper comfortable and the shower was delightful. If you plan on spending either a lot of time in bed (as we parents of a toddler did) or out and about, this is a nice place to splurge. The location is a mix. It is convenient to light rail and the convention center (and a Burgerville), but it is up against enough of the rough edges of the Rose Garden/Lloyd District that you see some interesting characters on the street.

A hint: There is a Hertz right at the hotel, and light rail/street car will get you practically to the doorstep. So if you just take public transit here from the airport and then rent your car just for the time you need it, you can skip the parking fees and have a shorter rental period.

Room Tip: Windows are not particularly thick. We were on the 2nd floor above the entryway and could hear peopl...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your review; we value all feedback received. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall and I have taken your comments about parking under advisement. We constantly monitor full service hotels parking prices and services to insure that we are an excellent value when considering all the amenities offered. Currently our parking prices are comparable to full service hotels in our immediate area and half the price of the west side properties. We are also the only hotel that has a free airport shuttle so if one is able to not rent a car our shuttle is can save you hundreds of dollars. Portland has a fantastic transit system and it even free in our area. We also have free bikes which are a fun alternative when visiting Portland; by the way we are the number one biking city in the USA. Hope you will consider us in the future please feel free to call on me if I can be of assistance

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The staff was great . They truly value there customers and care about all their needs no matter how big or small. Thank you for a Great stay . The beds where comfortable and the pillows where great the . Great location!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you very much for your great review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. We think our location is ideal for anyone who wants to have easy access to anything Portland has to offer. We are happy you enjoyed the hotel and look forward to your return. Thanks for staying with us.
Leyland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed at the CP for 2 nights. I am an IHG Platinum member and received all the benefits associated with that i.e. room upgrade etc. From arrival until departure the staff at the hotel were superb. John the barman (tall chap) was really good and provided us with a lot of local information and tips! The location isn't in the town centre but that's a benefit in regards to how peaceful it is. It is only a 5 minute walk to the tram which takes you into the town centre and cheap to boot! So no complaints on that front. The hotel is extremely well appointed which you would expect from a CP so you will not be disappointed on that front. Thanks for the great stay.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel and friendly staff. I sincerely appreciate your comments and will enjoy sharing them with my team.
Please let me know if I can be of service in the future.
Santa Clara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We were here to visit a college for the weekend with our friends and both our high school kids and had a comfortable stay. I did not book the room so I did not have any expectations. The hotel has many amenities. We used all of them from the basketball court to the hotel breakfast to the happy hour to the in room keurig coffee machine to the Starbucks coffee to the pineapple water to the fitness center to the pool area but we missed trying the shuttle. We were all very happy with the hotel. You need a car to get around unless you know the shuttle schedule.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for your informative review. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel amenities and friendly staff
Western Australia, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Firstly, don't be misled by the name, this hotel IS NOT DOWNTOWN. In fact, it is quite a way from anywhere. That made our stay awkward to start with. The rooms are quite small and due for a freshen up. The biggest problem was with some of the staff. We had issues with the front desk supervisor and the concierge. Both handled the situation absolutely the wrong way and destroyed everything from there. Having said that, we had dealings with an accounting officer who was very good and restaurant staff also were good. Breakfast was not bad, the buffet average but some items ordered off the menu were good. Overall this one is hard to measure, but the the misleading name, booking information and staff problems outweighed the good. To top it off, on checking out the bill was incorrect and we were double charged for some items an the tax explanation was also misleading.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us and writing a review. I do want to apologize that you had difficulty with the check-in. It is my understanding that we have addressed your concerns; if not I hope that you respond to my personal message. In order not to confuse anyone about our location is just on the eastside of the Willamette in the heart of all that makes Portland so interestingly unique. Portland has a fantastic transit system and it even free in our area. We also have free bikes which are a fun alternative when visiting Portland; by the way we are the number one biking city in the USA. My apologies for our location not being what you expected and to your liking. Thanks for staying.
Bathurst, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I am so delighted to write about this amazing place. Top for service (and humour), absolutely stunning cleanliness, very versatile and it appears that everyone does that little bit extra. I read great reviews and was not disappointed in any way. In fact I cant think of a single way I could've been made to feel more at home and looked after. Im a New Zealander travelling from Australia on business. Though I never bother to write if places are awful, I'll certainly take the time to thank this brilliant crew on their top service and attention to detail. No wonder you keep winning so many awards- bravo! :) Amy

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for your great review. I see that you travel a lot so I was pleased with your comments about the staff and service. I look forward to sharing your comments with my team. Thank you.
Bozeman, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

We have stayed at other Crowne Plaza hotels and this one was by far the best. The front desk staff were courteous and efficient. The lobby has water with fruit in it that changes daily. The rooms were far more luxurious that I had expected. They even had a small refrigerator. If you don't want to pay for hotel parking there are parking meters right in front of the hotel that are free on Sundays and I think between 10pm and 8am. The location is convenient to downtown and the convention center. It is a short drive or walk to some great restaurants and bars on Williams such as Tasty n Sons and The Box Social. Overall it was a great place to stay and we look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel amenities and friendly staff. I appreciate you pointing out the cool shops, cafes and restaurants that make southeast Portland cool. Please let me know if I can be of help in the future.