“Bizarre Threatening Experience & Rude Front Desk”

Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #48 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle
“Bizarre Threatening Experience & Rude Front Desk”
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Short vacation stay with daughter as I am recovering from cancer surgery and radiation treatments. 11pm man saying hotel security banging on door I tried to call down to front desk to check and this person proceeded to shout out "Open your door now or a $150 to $200 fine will be added to your bill. I opened the door to a very angry and abusive male stating he was security and had witnessed my daughter and I hanging out the hotel window smoking. I was shocked and stated he must have the wrong room number as I do not smoke and our windows were never opened he became even more abusive and threatening so I asked him to wait while I called hotel management he told me "Listen Lady I tell you what to do you don't tell me" and stormed off. I called down to front desk to report this person for his unprofessional and aggressive behavior and the staff were not very helpful. I then called the next morning and reported this to hotel manager who was very apologetic and handled in a more professional manner but a free breakfast was only remedy offered. This security guard was obviously on the wrong floor but his behavior was extremely abusive and threatening and I felt the hotel staff did not deal with this in an appropriate manner the evening it happened. My daughter and I did not feel safe the rest of the evening and were both shaken by this bizarre experience. I would not return to this hotel again as it ruined our entire trip and a stress during cancer treatment I did not need.

• Stayed September 2009
5 Thank Thistle6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Stayed here for just one night.... It's OK.

We're frequent Starwood customers but also enjoy Hyatts and Marriotts. This is definitely a cut below most of those properties. I'd even recommend the Portland Hilton over this place.

It's funny how you never forget certain kinds of service failures, and I won't forget one that occurred here. A couple of women checked into the hotel in front of us - they politely requested a room with two beds. The rather snarly desk clerk told them that the hotel was absolutely booked and they had to take what was available - one bed.

We, on the other hand, also had no specific bed type booked and wanted one bed. I thought "great" we're getting one bed since the doubles are all taken. Wrong. We walked into our room to find two beds. So basically, I watched the front desk staff lie right to the face of the customer right before me. When I asked this clerk for a higher floor, since I'm a light sleeper, I got the same "sorry, we're booked" response. I'm sure that was a lie, too.

Room was OK. Beds we're pretty hard. It was clean.

Location is inconvenient for any Downtown Portland activities (which are across the river).

I once booked this hotel for a business meeting (I didn't stay but my employees did). Doubt we'll ever be back.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tigerlight206
traveller2721
Reviewed 24 August 2009

My elderly parents pre-paid for two nights. Even though they could not check-in on the first day, they forfeited the refund, as it was stipulated in the fine print. Upon arriving on the second day of their reservation, they were told that their entire reservation was cancelled. The front desk staff was rude and unaccomodating. I would never go back to this hotel and would not recommend anyone else staying here - unless you wanted to treated horribley (even if you have pre-paid the reservation).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank traveller2721
British Columbia
Reviewed 14 August 2009

We have stayed at this hotel twice and enjoy staying there. The rooms are clean and a good size and the staff are friendly and very helpful. It is in a great location for watching basketball at the Rose Garden Arena, shopping at the Lloyd Centre or travelling into downtown Portland. It is also easy to get to, straight off the highway. The pool and jacuzzi are spacious and nice to relax in. We have enjoyed our previous stays in this hotel and look forward to enjoying more stays there in the future.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2009

The room was nice. We managed to catch the free shuttle from the airport. The location makes getting downtown of the free MAX LRT easy. The walk to the Convention Center is just 10 minutes or so.

Unfortunately, I was billed for parking although we had no car. My email messages to get the bill straightened out came to naught. I wonder if this is a way they get an extra $5 / night from everybody?

Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank DennisSylvesterHurd
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 July 2009
At the Crowne Plaza Portland Downtown we do charge $10.00 per night for overnight parking. At check-in we provide a permit that identifies the vehicle to our security staff via a discrete code.

The accounting staff has provided appropriate backup for the charge as requested by the guest. If we are in error I apologize in advance and will process a credit immediately.

Zygmunt Lopuszynski
Leicester, England
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Very good business focused hotel. My only gripe was that the WiFi service did not allow me to download VPN based emails. Food not too bad but there are much better restaurants downtown. Excellent staff in the bar.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Forest City, Iowa
Reviewed 17 June 2009

I checked into the Crowne Plaza after booking on Hotwire. On my train trip out here I lost my credit card. I had my wife fax a credit card letter of authorization to the hotel for my incidentals. She did and confirmed with the reservations manager that everything had been taken care of. I also called to double check. No problem Mr. Hughes I was told. I took the shuttle to the hotel from the Amtrak station. When I called they said the shuttle would be there in 5 minutes. 23 minutes later it arrived. At check in the clerk said, I need a credit card for incidentals. I advised her of the letter of authorization. She had to get the reservations manager who showed the clerk on the screen that it was taken care of. Time to check in with no one in front of me was 24 minutes. OK, so I take a client to the lounge that night for a drink. He ordered an appetizer and we had two drinks total. I signed my receipt to charge to my room. The older white haired bartender came up to me, with client sitting there and said rather sternly, " you do not have a credit card on file and you booked this room with Hotwire". I advised her that the authorization was on file. She called the front desk and gave the phone to me while telling my client no less that Hotwire does not pay for drinks. The nerve. The front desk clerk looked for about two minutes and then said, oh yeah, here it is. Needless to say I did not make that sale. Then the next morning at breakfast I was seated in the restaurant, the sole overworked waitress seated me and said I will be right back. Well 19 minutes later she had never came back. I left along with two other people. So basically this property is physically very nice, but the people factor is just not there. Nice TV's and beds, small bathrooms and the internet service is horrible but free. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Keith H
We deeply regret that this guest did not experience prompt, courteous, and superior amenities that my staff and I strive to deliver. At the Crowne Plaza Portland, our mission is exceptional service and comfort of all our guests regardless of their reservations origin. Immediately upon receiving his concerns (after reading the review on Trip Advisor after the guest’s departure), I conducted an investigation to identify why and how we could improve our communication and service delivery.

We do provide complimentary shuttle service to the airport, train station and other local attractions with airport departures taking priority. I was not able to substantiate his wait time and sincerely apologize that we did not estimate your pick up time appropriately. In traffic or with minimal delays it should have only taken us 10-13 minutes to pick him up.

I would also like to apologize for the delay in check-in due to not having a credit card for check-in. I can only imagine the difficulty in securing accommodations car rental and other purchases while traveling without a credit card. I am pleased that my staff was able to accommodate you however I apologize that it seemed to take forever and that we did not accommodate the special handling to check you in more expediently.

I would also like to apologize for the service received in the bar and restaurant and that we will use your comments constructively to better train and staff appropriately. My staff and I are committed to exceeding all our guests’ expectations and highly encourage giving us the opportunity to resolve any service issue immediately.

Zygmunt Lopuszynski