“Easily accessible, a little pricey”

Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #54 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Overall, this was a pretty good hotel aside from a few things. The hotel offered free shuttle service to/from the Portland airport. I waited about 40 minutes for them to pick me up when they claimed to be there in 15. The rooms had a TV with plenty of channels to choose from. I used the internet from the room with no problem. I stayed in my room with a snorer and the complimentary ear plugs helped a ton! I slept through the night like a baby. The business center came in handy when I needed to print out directions.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 January 2010

I have stayed in this hotel 3 times in the last 5 weeks, and have had an excellent experience each time. Some of the reviews ding the place for "trying too hard" to be upscale. Absurd! The owners and the chain brand are not trying to be anything other than Crowne Plaza. They have no delusions that the place is a JW Marriott, or a Renaissance Hotel.

I will say that the restaurant was a little slow for few people that were in attendance.

The elevators are currently being upgraded, so only two are running, but it as not caused any delays, and there has been no noise either.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2009

This was a very satisfactory hotel. I checked in with no problems, the concierge was able to find me a GREAT massage place down the road a little bit, and they mostly stayed out of my way and let me be. I appreciated that. The rooms were clean and decently appointed. There were a few downsides, though.

First of all, the hotel was trying too hard to seem ritzy - but all it really ended up seeming to be was dated. The restaurant/lounge area was decked out to seem all high-class, but the lighting was way too yellow and the the decor was not tasteful at all - it seemed garish to me. I felt the same way about the room decor - it was not *bad*, but the bathrooms seemed like, again, they were trying too hard. I think this hotel is sorely in need of a renovation.

Second of all was the parking - there simply is not enough. One night I actually had to circle around and wait for someone to pull out. For charging $10 a night (which I thought was nickel-and-diming me) for parking, you'd think they would have sufficient space.

Third of all, the elevators SUCK. They piped in some tinny music that I thought was either my cell phone or some lame MIDI stuff, the bells worked some of the time, and I just wasn't too comfortable with them.

On the plus side, I actually liked the location. It's very close to quite a few amenities, including a 7-11, McDonalds, Starbucks, Burger King, and Chipotles all within walking distance, and slightly better restaurants just a short drive away. I also liked the view outside of my window, being able to see the about five different bridges, downtown Portland, and the northwest industrial area - only parts of it were blocked by the huge Rose Gardens coliseum. Not too happy about that, but what are you gonna do? I don't hold that against them. the Lloyd Center and Irvington districts are all very vibrant and very close.

If you can find a bundle deal somewhere, this is a great hotel, though it most certainly is not the best.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Loved the bicycles. Very clean, quiet. Great staff

Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Hotel is OK - we didn't exploit the facilities much but the rooms were nice and plush (overly so, in fact), and the service seemed fine. The real downside was the location. The name claims "Downtown" but this is only barely true. Downtown is really across the river, and you can't walk there easily - it requires taking the tram. Admittedly, this is free and pretty efficient, but the name of the hotel is still misleading. I can see it's convienient for the convention center, but don't book this expecting to walk out of the door and be downtown - you won't be.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank andrewf11
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Short vacation stay with daughter as I am recovering from cancer surgery and radiation treatments. 11pm man saying hotel security banging on door I tried to call down to front desk to check and this person proceeded to shout out "Open your door now or a $150 to $200 fine will be added to your bill. I opened the door to a very angry and abusive male stating he was security and had witnessed my daughter and I hanging out the hotel window smoking. I was shocked and stated he must have the wrong room number as I do not smoke and our windows were never opened he became even more abusive and threatening so I asked him to wait while I called hotel management he told me "Listen Lady I tell you what to do you don't tell me" and stormed off. I called down to front desk to report this person for his unprofessional and aggressive behavior and the staff were not very helpful. I then called the next morning and reported this to hotel manager who was very apologetic and handled in a more professional manner but a free breakfast was only remedy offered. This security guard was obviously on the wrong floor but his behavior was extremely abusive and threatening and I felt the hotel staff did not deal with this in an appropriate manner the evening it happened. My daughter and I did not feel safe the rest of the evening and were both shaken by this bizarre experience. I would not return to this hotel again as it ruined our entire trip and a stress during cancer treatment I did not need.

• Stayed: September 2009
5  Thank Thistle6
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Stayed here for just one night.... It's OK.

We're frequent Starwood customers but also enjoy Hyatts and Marriotts. This is definitely a cut below most of those properties. I'd even recommend the Portland Hilton over this place.

It's funny how you never forget certain kinds of service failures, and I won't forget one that occurred here. A couple of women checked into the hotel in front of us - they politely requested a room with two beds. The rather snarly desk clerk told them that the hotel was absolutely booked and they had to take what was available - one bed.

We, on the other hand, also had no specific bed type booked and wanted one bed. I thought "great" we're getting one bed since the doubles are all taken. Wrong. We walked into our room to find two beds. So basically, I watched the front desk staff lie right to the face of the customer right before me. When I asked this clerk for a higher floor, since I'm a light sleeper, I got the same "sorry, we're booked" response. I'm sure that was a lie, too.

Room was OK. Beds we're pretty hard. It was clean.

Location is inconvenient for any Downtown Portland activities (which are across the river).

I once booked this hotel for a business meeting (I didn't stay but my employees did). Doubt we'll ever be back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple