“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Astoria, Oregon
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

I had several items missing from my luggage after checking them in with bag check at the front desk. We arrived early and weren't able to check in. We left our luggage at noon with the front desk and returned at 3:30 to check-in. I discovered missing items from my luggage when I went to get ready for that evening. I thought I must have left them at home (really didn't think I did, but really thought that must be the case) and the following morning when I was getting ready, I really thought I must be losing it to leave that many items at home (we travel frequently so these are items I always use and take with me). Again, I didn't suspect they were stolen, just that I left them at home. When I arrived at home, I promptly checked our bedroom and bathroom where I was packing before we left. My spouse and I looked everywhere, even went back out in the car and checked. I called the hotel and spoke with a staff member at the front desk. He took my message and said he would have the manager call me the next day, he also looked to see if any items were left in the hotel room, I told him this wasn't possible, as I never saw the items after they were at bag check at their front desk. I recieved a return phone call two days later from the manager. I repeated what had occured and also told him my friend who got us the room for a friends and family discount rate had called her contact person at the hotel to give her an itemized list of my items (these totaled over 200 dollars). He said he would get the itemized list and would call me back by Friday of that week. To date, he has not called me back and I have left additional messges for him to call me. My friend has even emailed her contact person at the hotel regarding the matter with no return email or call. The manager was very pleasant and concerned and I really thought he would have handled it, but he didn't. This was an unfortunate experience. We will not return to the hotel and will let friends and family know to do the same.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nade70
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
My staff and I are committed to guest satisfaction and we are and have been in correspondence with the guests. I sincerely regret that this matter has not been addressed to their satisfaction and I encourage them to contact me directly to resolve any concerns.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2010

I prepaid my room, but they gave it to someone else anyway! This was disastrous for my business trip, because I ended up getting very little sleep before an important presentation the next morning. They finally gave me my room the next day, but then gave me a hassle on the checkout! They said that I was checking out "early" because I had stayed only two nights instead of the three I had prepaid for. Unbelievable. Such behavior should be illegal, if it isn't already. They sold the room twice, sent me off miles away from my conference in the middle of the night, and then accused me of not fulfilling my obligation. AVOID!

• Stayed February 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jjddss
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 29 March 2010
Please accept my sincere apology for not having your room upon arrival. On rare occasions we are not able to accommodate all our guests due to unforeseen circumstance such as overstayed reservations or operational errors.

In such cases we arrange transportation to and from the hotel and pay for the alternative accommodations arranged. If the reservation was prepaid we would have refunded your credit card for the night we could not honor in accordance with our guaranteed reservation promise. Other considerations offered for the inconvenience were breakfast at the alternative accommodations and upgrade to our executive level with breakfast upon return.

I sincerely regret that we were not able to accommodate this guest and I encourage him to contact me to make sure we delivered at best what I described.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

We chose this hotel because it was reasonably close to our son's home. We have stayed at other Crowne Plaza's and found this one to be just fine. Upon arrival, we were a little concerned to see several large groups with noisy teenagers. Without our asking, we were given a free upgrade to the executive level which was very quiet. The rooms on that floor (10th) appeared to have been recently upgraded and all furnishings were top of the line. Internet connection was good. Bed very comfortable. Drinks in the bar were good and reasonably priced. We did think the $10 parking fee was nickel and dime but that has become standard at city hotels everywhere.

Conwy County, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

Located about 10 min walk from the convention centre. Only negative about the room is that the wireless connection was very weak. Rooms were very clean and well equipped, with microwave, fridge and coffee maker. Gym was a little small but had all the usual equipment. Check your bill before you leave as they charged us for parking which we didn't use.

1 Thank ClareAndMilo
Salem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

I got this room through Priceline and got a fantastic deal. They did charge an additional $10 for parking, but it was within walking distance of the Convention Center, so I broke even by walking the three blocks to my event.
Shea at the front desk was so helpful, she even upgraded my room when I became a member of their points club (no charge for that.)
My room was so clean and I was on a floor that doesn't allow children or groups, so it was very quiet.
I hope I end up here again, when I bid on Priceline!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

Overall, this was a pretty good hotel aside from a few things. The hotel offered free shuttle service to/from the Portland airport. I waited about 40 minutes for them to pick me up when they claimed to be there in 15. The rooms had a TV with plenty of channels to choose from. I used the internet from the room with no problem. I stayed in my room with a snorer and the complimentary ear plugs helped a ton! I slept through the night like a baby. The business center came in handy when I needed to print out directions.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2010

I have stayed in this hotel 3 times in the last 5 weeks, and have had an excellent experience each time. Some of the reviews ding the place for "trying too hard" to be upscale. Absurd! The owners and the chain brand are not trying to be anything other than Crowne Plaza. They have no delusions that the place is a JW Marriott, or a Renaissance Hotel.

I will say that the restaurant was a little slow for few people that were in attendance.

The elevators are currently being upgraded, so only two are running, but it as not caused any delays, and there has been no noise either.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business