“unable to bill correctly, charged my card when had agreed to charge committee's credit account” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center

and 1 more site!
Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #43 of 138 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

This hotel appears to be unable to bill correctly. As usual, a credit card is demanded on check-in. Since my bill was covered by the committee whose meeting I was attending (and who had made the reservation in my name/for me) I requested that it be billed. That took some discussion and eventually the administrator came down & --we thought--sorted out the billing. A bill showing a 0 balance was slid underneath my door so I thought the hotel staff had actually gotten the matter straight.

NO. When my credit card bill arrived, MY card had been charged for the room. I have had to contact the administrator, and extra work has been generated for myself and the administrator --in addition to the time spent at the hotel (time wasted as it turns out) all because the hotel staff or the hotel software could not cope with a very simply request and arrangement. One other hotel chains had had NO PROBLEM with.

In other respects, the hotel was ok. Not great but acceptable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 29 October 2010
Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the confusion with the billing and for the inconvenience we may have caused. I encourage anyone who is not satisfied to contact me directly so we can resolve the situation.
I hope to hear back from you regarding my private message that I sent you as well. Thank you and we hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

The hotel was clean and staff were helpful. Self-park and valet parking were convenient. The hotel has an airport shuttle. Not within walking distance to the bulk of the downtown Portland eateries but light rail about four blocks away. VERY convenient to the convention center. Doesn't gouge you for internet access.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 October 2010
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. We are very happy that you had a great stay overall and that you enjoyed the free internet.

Please let me know if I can be of service while you make your future plans.
alabaster_jar83
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

It was ok, not bad, but not really what you expect from a Crowne Plaza. The staff were all very nice and helpful, so they get top marks for service. The hotel itself was nice enough, but pretty run down. Not in a great area, but walking distance to the convention center and close to downtown. My room was ok, but nothing special; the bedspreads were really wrinkled, which just made them seem less fresh and clean, although I'm sure they were fine. The room had a bit of an odor at first, but once I turned the air on it went away. There was one morning that I had no hot water; apparently the hotel isn't equipped to handle multiple guests showering in the morning, and that was annoying. Overall, I might stay there again if I needed to be close to the convention center and could get a good deal, but I wouldn't pay more than $100 or so per night for this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. I appreciate you complimenting the staff for their service it means a lot to the team. Please accept my apologies for the lack of hot water; I do recall an incident when it malfunctioned. I assure you that our system is state of the art and has more than enough capacity for all our guests no matter how busy.

Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

We have just returned from a 2 day stay at the Crown Plaza. The staff was great. Everyone we had contact with was cheerful, very helpful, and friendly. The rooms were very good. Beds comfortable; there is a fridge, coffee maker and microwave in the rooms. Just a 5 minute walk (if that) to the LRT (they call it MAX) for a free trip to downtown to explore. The front desk staff suggested several places to see, and had good advice with clear directions, about the transportation. The Hotel is in an older part of Portland, it is true, but not a "bad" area as suggested by one reviewer. We did a lot of walking around the area, and had a great time. Found a couple of good restaurants withing walking distance, and there are more if you have a car. We didn't use the pool, but the fitness room is very well equiped. All in all a very good experience. Would return there next time we are in Portland.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 6 October 2010
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We appreciate you mentioning that the staff was friendly and helpful; I will let them know they were recognized.
Please let me know if I can be of service while you make your future plans.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

This hotel is by no means downtown. It is about a 10-15 minute walk from the convention center and the nearest light rail. Bad neighborhood, no good restaurants nearby. Did not like it at all. They do have airport pickup shuttles but it was a 45 minute wait fir the shuttle and then a 20 minute ride. The hotel itself is a little dated but the room was nice,bed and shower very comfortable. Very smal fitness facility as well which was too crowded in the mornings.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 September 2010
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your visit was not perfect and our location was not ideal. I wanted to point out a few inaccuracies as not to mislead future guests. Our hotel is located three city blocks from the nearest light rail, no more than five minutes if you walk very slowly. The convention center is across the street from the light rail stop.

Our location is in an urban environment and affords many dining options. The front desk staff is eager to make recommendations and has a list of staff favorites.
Margao, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

We were visiting Portland with friends and we stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. I have stayed at other Crowne Plaza hotels before and this hotel lived up to my expectations.

The rooms were great, we enjoyed our stay there and I would say we got good value for money (especially since we booked early, we got a good price too).

The only reason I wouldn't give 5 stars for "Service" was that the front-desk had only one person attending to guests even though we saw at least 2 other people milling around (when there is a queue I would have expected another receptionist to attend to the guests) .

Location-wise this was great in the sense that it was right in downtown and there is an excellent choice of restaurants within a 3-mile radius. If you're expecting to walk around though, it might a little tough since the options within walking distance are limited (didn't quite matter for us though since we had anyway driven in from out of town).

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. I will happily consider staying here again and have no hesitation recommending this place to anyone.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

Staying at this hotel was a complete joy! The style in the lobby, common areas, and rooms was exquisite and clean! The minute you walk in you feel important! The staff is extremely friendly, kind, accomodating, and willing to help with anything! They jumped at the chance we gave them to suggest some good places for dinner! Every staff member we came in contact with was super nice! Rooms were clean and trendy. The view we had was awesome, and we were just a very short drive away from downtown!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 15 September 2010
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel and friendly staff. I sincerely appreciate your comments and will enjoy sharing them with my team.

Please let me know if I can be of service in the future.