“Very nice hotel”

Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #53 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Spent New years in Portland at the Crowne Plaza. Excellent hotel at a great rate.
Loved the indoor saltwater pool, and the free wine at arrival, staff is very friendly. Rooms are very nice with flat screen TV and free movies are offered at the front desk. Great view of Downtown Portland from room. The large bed and firm mattress was great. I would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2011

Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We appreciate you acknowledging the friendly staff and pointing out some of our special features available. We look forward to seeing you in 2011. Please let me know if I can be of service while you make your future plans.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Reviewed 31 December 2010

I booked this place on Priceline for $60 a night and after staying here I will come back even without the deal I got. The food in the restaurant is excellent and really reasonable and they buy from smaller suppliers with the emphysis on quality. Locally smoked and cured meats and artisan breads make dining a pleasure as you get more than what you pay for!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the Crowne Plaza Portland downtown and the restaurant quality. My chef and the entire food team enjoy presenting high quality, often organic and always fresh offerings for our guests.
I look forward to sharing your review with the team.

Reviewed 31 December 2010

My husband and I continue to stay at the Crowne Plaza, downtown Portland, time and time again. The service there is incredible! From the moment you pull up, to the time you drive away, the staff is super friendly and accommodating. The rooms are modern and comfortable and extremely clean. Service is impeccable! It's in a perfect location and will continue to stay there each time we visit Portland!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
zlopuszynski, Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2011

Thank you for your great review. We are very proud that all three stays you have had have been perfect. Our staff will always do Whatever It Takes to ensure your stay is great. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Please let us know if you have any friends that want the same service you receive!! Thanks

Reviewed 30 December 2010

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza during the Christmas holiday. This is our second time staying there and we just love it. I liked its free WIFI and used it a bit during our stay. It's just a few minutes walk to the free light-rail systems.

There are a few things that I would like to see improvement: have in-room safe for valuables and don't have the housekeeping checking on the rooms so early (8:30am) on the check-out day. The parking fees are a little bit steep as well so we ended up parking on the street instead.

The staff, including the door man, were very polite. We will definitely go back there when we visit Portland again. Hopefully their will remove the parking charges by then.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2011

Thank you for your great review. We are very proud that we have earned your return business. I would like to apologize that we knocked on your door early and have taken your comments regarding parking under advisement.
Please give me call when planning your next stay and I will be sure to upgrade you to our executive level floors which feature in room safes.

Reviewed 12 December 2010

My husband and I chose this hotel because it was close to the hospital and had decent reviews. I was having surgery and just needed a quiet bed for two nights. The ear plugs provided by the hotel should have been my first clue that this hotel had a noise problem. Our first room was on the seventh floor and the street traffic noise was insane. The rooms had very poor insulation and cold air and noise poured in through the window. The room had numerous cracks in the ceiling and walls, and the wallpaper was being held on by tape in various places. We did not sleep a minute all night. We tried to call downstairs to see if we could change rooms, but the phone did not work. We then noticed the phone was not a crown plaza phone, but a phone from the holiday inn. My husband went downstairs and was able to change rooms to another part on the building. After moving into the new room we where both exhausted from no sleep and just wanted to make some coffee before heading off to the hospital. The coffee machine did not work. But the phone in this room did, and the front desk sent someone up quickly to fix the machine. After my surgery we both needed to get some rest before getting on the road the next day. This room didn't have as much street traffic noise, but it was still awful. After hours of tossing and turning we where finally able to fall asleep, but not for long! At 4am someone thought it was a good idea to start shoving paperwork loudly under our door waking us both us. Oh, and parking is $12 a night..

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2010

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologies for the condition of the room, it appears we could have done better. My maintenance team has already begun addressing the deficiencies not already fixed.

I encourage anyone who is not satisfied to contact me directly so we can resolve the situation.
I hope to hear back from you regarding my private message that I sent you as well. Thank you and we hope to see you again

Reviewed 22 November 2010

I stayed here for about a week for a conference at the Convention Center during a rainy week in November. I had stayed here about 5-6 years ago and saw immediate improvements on the appearance of the room. The refrigerator and the microwave were very covenient, especially for a week long stay. The one very minor bad thing was the appearance of the room upon arrival - not much, but there was quite a bit of litter on the floor that made me wonder for a split second if I had walked into a room that wasn't finished being made up yet. That was really all though - the room was much cleaner each day afterwards.

I got to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the hotel's restaurant. I hadn't had any disappointing meals. I loved the butternut squask ravioli. I had it for dinner on the second night and then went to have it again for the sixth day's lunch since it was so good. It was first served with a cream sauce, but this was changed to a spicy red tomato sauce the second time. A loud customer seated at the table next to me ordered the same thing and complained a lot about it; it tasted just as good to me. He got his meal replaced and the waitress, seeing that I had ordered the same thing asked me if I wanted mine replaced. When I declined, she insisted that I have a breakfast on her. Not necessary, but a very nice touch that made a big impression. I see that a manager reads this; I wish I could remember her name to give her credit. She had braces and was Hispanic - very pleasant.

The front desk folk were very helpful too in recommending great restaurants. The van service was extremely helpful. There were only two occasions when they could not pick us up, so we opted to take a cab ride home to avoid walking in the pouring rain to the rail station. They were packed with convention-goers, so we understood. We were actually surprised that they were able to be so accomodating at all. The free wi-fi and the room service were great too. It was maybe the fastest room service I've had in a while.

I'd also like to give a thank you to April, one of the bartenders. She was a cut above the rest and you could see the atmosphere of the bar rise when she was there.

The pool and hot tub were great - very relaxing after a day at the convention. Classical music is piped in and very few people were using them, even at night so don't forget your bathing suit. Check-out was easy. They even reduced the rate from when I booked to reflect the decreased government rate and did not tax me without me having to ask, which is a huge help to me. So many places get it wrong and it's a pain to have to fix after I'm already back trying to submit my expenses.

I got to see another equally rated hotel a few blocks away and was glad to have chosen to stay here again. If I ever get back to Portland, I would not hesitate a bit to stay here again.

For a restaurant recommendation, try Deschutes. By far the best brewery/restaurant we went to.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank lyonmane
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2010

Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We appreciate you identifying our staff members you found exceptionally pleasant and helpful. I will be sure to recognize them both as they are true professionals that take great pride in their service delivery.

Sorry about all the rain the week of your stay, it was exceptionally rainy. I hope that if you return to Portland you will choose us again.

Reviewed 6 November 2010

My stay was to accompany 4 twelve year olds for a birthday party at the hotel. I reserved two adjoining rooms so I could keep an eye on them. It worked out perfect! The rooms were quiet and inviting with their cozy plush beds and fantastic 10th floor views.

From the room’s flat screen TV, flattering decor, mini refrigerator, microwave and fancy coffee maker (it’s the small things), this room is a 10! The price was competitive and the hotel was very clean and updated.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel and friendly staff. I sincerely appreciate your comments and will enjoy sharing them with my team.