“Fabulous Hotel - Great Location!!!”
Review of Paramount Hotel

Paramount Hotel
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 23 October 2011

The Paramount Hotel is an excellent hotel. From the moment you arrive till the moment you leave, I found their service to be excellent. They quickly got you to your room, luggage brought up and placed on the luggage stands.

I had a room on the 3rd floor with a small balcony looking to the wonderful outside area. I immediately noticed that this is a great place to stay for those who love movies and shopping. Nordstroms is a couple of minutes away; movies are directly across the street. I settled in and decided to take in a movie across the street. I returned around 9:00 p.m. and debated upon having room service or ? I then noticed they have a happy hour special starting at 9:00 in the bar area. I had a delightful late night dinner of 2 cold sakis (very good); miso soup; and 2 sushi rolls for $14.00.

The rooms are very nicely appointed and comfortable. Great places to sit. Their bed pillows are large and fluffy making for a good night's sleep. Location was quiet.

I had breakfast in the restaurant in the morning. They deliver newspapers in the morning to your room so took my paper and had a good breakfast there. Coffee is very good.

While I usually travel with others, this is a delightful stay for solo travelers;, a romantic stay for couples; and also a good place for business travelers. I enjoyed walking in the area around the hotel - many stores and shops within a few minutes of the hotel.

When I stay in Portland in the future, I would not hesitate to stay here again. It is a delightful and wonderful hotel.

For those staying at the hotel, they do have valet parking service. On this trip I spent $29.00 for parking the car for the night. Valet service was very good; they were also helpful with giving directions.

This is a wonderful hotel; thanks to the hotel management and staff for good service as well.

Room Tip: Check to see if they have late night happy hour while there - good food and drinks for reasonable pr...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank mini
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Thank you so much for the five star review Mini! It’s very informative and offers great insights from a guest’s point of view, not to mention, well written. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stayed in the Paramount after seeing which hotels would be a quick walk to/from the Max Redline train to/from the airport. We were visiting family in the area but would arrive and leave while family members were working. The Paramount is a quick 2-block walk from the closest arrival from the airport and 1 block to the closest pick-up going to the airport. We were very happy with our stay in this hotel. Our room was clean and quiet, with a very comfortable bed (and we are fairly particular on these factors). Clerks at reception were very courteous. We walked all over downtown and over to Powell's books. The Paramount is a great base, and we will definitely stay there again. The only reason that I graded the hotel down from 5 stars to 4 stars has to do with their restaurant in the lobby, the Dragonfish Asian Cafe. We tried to have breakfast there the first morning - we had to wait to be acknowledged, half of the tables were not cleared of dishes, and once one of only two visible employees had cleared the dishes from one table she just looked at us but didn't actually seat us. She brought menus and then seemed to forget about us, without even an offer of coffee, for several minutes. Neither the menu nor the plates that passed us impressed us as deserving the wait. My husband and I decided to cut our losses and leave. We had breakfast at Starbucks across the street. The Dragonfish is an "Asian fusion" restaurant but offers an American breakfast. Another problem with the restaurant (and perhaps they were just short-staffed for some reason that weekend) was that they left a tray of food and dirty dishes on the floor a few doors down from us. After 24 hours of passing this tray, I finally reported it to the reception desk. I was told that this was the restaurant's job and that the reception clerk would report it to the restaurant. (The tray was gone a couple of hours later.) I hope that a new restaurant has the lobby lease the next time we go to Portland. We will stay at the Paramount even if the Dragonfish is still there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Upandaway99, I’m sorry to hear and apologize for your experiences with Dragonfish. I am happy to report, however, there are some upcoming changes and improvements in the works for the restaurant. Thanks for making us your home base while visiting your family!

Reviewed 14 October 2011

Excellent location, easy connection to airport via MAX train. Front desk service was wonderful. We arrived at 10 am on the day of check in and were planning to ask if they could store our bags until a room was ready. Instead, they immediately offered to give us a room and checked us in on the spot! No fighting, no pleading. We even got an upgraded room. So easy! Rooms were quiet and comfortable. My only complaint is the grout work in the bathroom...it could really use some cleaning. Otherwise, our stay was lovely and we would definitely stay at this hotel again. (Tip: eat at Violetta's in front of the hotel...wonderful grass-fed beef burgers and salads!)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Anesthesia2011, thank you for the review and tip! You should try Violetta’s white truffle french fries next time you stay with us, they are my favorite / weakness.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

The Paramount Hotel is within a block of the TriMet Rail so it is convenient to get to the Airport as well as other downtown places. A taxi ride to the airport is about $38 but the rail is less than $5 and gets you to the airport in about 40 minutes. The hotel is clean, comfortable, and within walking distance to many of the downtown attractions. I'd rate it a 5 if it had a better restaurant; however, I would stay there again.

1  Thank Bruin74
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2011

Thanks for your review and tip Bruin74, I agree, the MAX light rail is a great way to get around Portland and it’s only a block away!

Reviewed 2 October 2011

Why this hotel isn't higher or why we are just staying here now is beyond me. We are regular visitors to Portland and were beyond thrilled to discover the Paramount and will stay here going forward. The rooms are very spacious, tastefully decorated and the beds are very comfortable. The location is wonderful and in a very clean and quiet area of downtown. The lobby is lovely, open and fresh and the sushi in the restaurant is fresh and delicious. The valet service is also very efficient. The best thing about the hotel is the extremely friendly and welcoming staff. Over the top. Don't miss it when in Portland.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank bassethounds2

We are so glad you found us too bassethounds2! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

When I visited Portland in the past, I normally stayed at a different big name hotel that is a little pricey, but we loved the location. This time we decided to look for a hotel in the same area that was cheaper, and this came up on our search. It is only a few block from where we previously stayed, and this will now be where we stay in the future! The hotel is beautiful and elegant, and the service seems much more personal. Our room was spacious, spotless, and comfortable. The gentleman who checked us in was very friendly and it went very quickly. The concierge was also very friendly and helped us find a much quicker route to our favorite night spots. The location is great for access to the trolley or the max, and there is plenty of shopping an restaurants right in the area. We didn't try the hotel bar/restaurant, but it looked busy, which is usually a good sign. I had seen some reviewers mention the cost of parking--just by chance we found a valet parking garage less than 2 blocks away that is only $15 a night. There is also a starbucks between the hotel and parking garage. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Skydivingchik
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

Thanks so much for great review and recommendation skydivingchik!

Reviewed 29 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Paramount Hotel last week for two nights. We were blown away by how nice it was for the price. We have AAA, and so with that special rate our total came to only $150 a night, taxes and everything included. It was so worth it...the hotel is beautiful inside and out, and our 14th floor room was spacious, clean, and beautifully decorated. We had a great view of downtown Portland, and the bathroom was HUGE! It had a walk in shower, jacuzzi tub, and granite countertop. The front desk staff were very nice and helpful, giving us ideas about where to eat, places to see, and places we could catch a football game. The Paramount is located right in the heart of downtown, within 10 minutes walking distance of basically anywhere you would want to go in Portland. I would definitely recommend staying here...you won't find a better deal!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fryauffe

Thank you for the highly complimentary review, I will be sure to share it with our staff, also for posting the photos of the hotel and your room view too!