“Pathfinder Chorus, Fremont, NE”
Review of Paramount Hotel

Paramount Hotel
Ranked #9 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I had over 100 people at this hotel for 4 to 6 days for a convention. I did not hear a single complaint. The staff was professional, courteous. The food at Tasting East was excellent. The Hotel is located in a very central location which made it easy to get to other restaurants, and by using the Max to get to the Convention Center and Rose Arena area. I was able to leave the the windows open and 1. weather was great and 2. there was no street noise. Many in my party would stay again and use the Paramount as their base of travel for the Portland Area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you for the review Ray B! We really appreciated your group staying with us. Our staff thoroughly enjoyed all the singing you brought to the hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)

Reviewed 8 July 2012

We enjoyed a two-night stay in a large, lovely, clean room with very comfortable king bed, balcony, mini-fridge, and large bathroom with spa tub. The staff were all friendly and extremely helpful. Valet parking is a bit steep ($29/day), but you can take the car in and out for the one daily price - or better yet, try to get the "park for a buck" deal that the hotel offers on occasion. The concierge and reception desk staff were very pleasant and responsive both during our stay and even before we arrived, in that they responded to email inquiries to clarify our reservation, rates, and even suggest things to do in Portland, as it was our first visit. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably quieter. We were on the 2nd floor, so there was some road noise only when...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

We appreciate your review MWMitchell. So glad we were able to be part of your first (of hopefully many) visits to Portland!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

I asked for a quiet room for my three-night stay at the Portland Paramount. I was accommodated in a corner king room on the 14th floor which offered two windows overlooking the city. Indeed, the room was very quiet at all times of the day and night. What I liked most was the spacious room (with refrigerator) and the helpful and friendly staff. They handled my luggage on arrival and departure without my having to search for assistance. Throughout my stay, they provided clear directions and transportation advice. Staff were always available to assist. On the down side, the shower water pressure was rather low, but not a major issue. Since I was travelling across several time zones, the effective blackout blinds offered extended sleep as I adjusted to a new time zone. The hotel's downtown location is an easy walk to Powell's bookstore, shopping, and a variety of restaurants. The MAX is easy to navigate and offers transportation further afield to the Saturday Market. The International Rose Test Garden and Japanese Garden are not far. Reed College was a 15-minute taxi ride away. The concierge arranged for transportation to the airport for an early morning departure. On my next visit to Portland, the Paramount will be my downtown hotel of choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank TravellingSloans
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thanks for the review TravellingSloans. Love hearing that you were able to experience so much of the city in only three days but there is still plenty more to see on your next visit. See you soon!

Reviewed 5 July 2012

The Paramount did a good job of resolving an overcharge on the room service bill. First, they delivered an extra meal with my order. I called, and they retrieved the meal and adjusted the bill. Next I noticed that the very small glass of wine I ordered, was priced at $5.50 on the menu, but charged $9.00 on the bill. Even with the automatic 20% gratuity, it should have been no more than $6.60. He returned again, and I showed him the menu. They then credited my account the full $9.00. I was a happy customer.
Room was comfortable and quiet. For $5 more per night I opted for a jacuzzi tub. Staff was pleasant, in particularly the bell and parking staff are very very helpful. Onsite Asian restaurant was delicious for lunch. I opted for the rate which included valet parking for only $1 more. Very worth it. Overall nice stay in central location for business and shopping in walkable downtown Portland.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thanks for the review Catherine K. So glad to hear we were able to rectify the billing error and make you a happy customer!

Reviewed 22 June 2012

This hotel is right in Downtown pretty much dead center so easy to walk to anything in either Downtown or the neighboring Pearl District. Most of the light rails stop close by also if you do not feel like walking and they are free to rid through most of the downtown area.

The Staff was great as Eddy kept my dad company while I parked the car. Recommend using Garage across street as only run you around 15 dollars a day instead of the 29 to use the Valet through the hotel. Only issue had with hotel was could not print from adobe though tried back later and it was working so they fixed the problem quickly.

Room was good size though Ironing board should be changed as litlle warped so could not properly iron my shirt. Room also had small fridge though no microwave. Had dispensers shampoo etc from a good brand instead of bottle though stated would give you small bottles upon request. Hair blower dryer could use improvement as just had tiny one. Most have been changing cable providers as the tv card and the channels did not match. Bathroom was large with two lights though water pressure in shower was limited though seemed plenty strong when going though faucet only.

Gym had one of each type of cardio equipment and two benches for free weights use and some yoga mats if want to stretch. Had large enough tv so could see from all the equipment if needed. I need to learn more exercises with dumbbells as this is the third hotel in a row where they did not have one of those all in one machines but instead just had rack of dumbbells.

Breakfast was good and not that expensive as only cost 8 dollars for two large eggs, hash browns and some toast. Could not find diner in area so best bet if want something more than bagel is to eat here. Lounge has single tv if want to watch game though recommend walking over to Davis Grill on 10th if want decent food and tvs to watch game at bar.

Not sure if any of the rooms have nice views as was on ninth floor and my room looked onto a parking garage.

Hotel has frequent benefits program but only get miles on Aeroplan and Alaska which I do not use so not much help for me.

If come to Portland by myself again might stay in Ace hotel as more of the nighlife over there but if coming for Business or want a comfortable family friendy place cannot do much better than this place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

bccorb thank you for the detailed review!

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I love Portland. It truly has a unique character and flavor that's all it own. It's an awesome place to get away for the weekend or a few days. When ever my wife and I come to Portland, we almost always stay at the Paramount. The rooms are clean and spacious, the beds are comfortable, and the staff is friendly and helpful. The biggest plus for us is the hotel's central location. Food, entertainment, shopping, and most of Portland's best attractions are all nearby. We have attended a number of shows at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, which is only a block away. It is a beautiful older venue that caters to a more mature audience. It brings in top acts that cover the musical spectrum (jazz, blues, rock, folk, world, classical, and country). The Portland Art Museum and the Oregon Historical Society Museum are also only a block away and there are many great restaurants within walking distance or a short drive. Andina, a Peruvian restaurant is awesome, and Toro Bravo, a Spanish Tapas restaurant, is also great.

The hotel has a small urban park directly in front of it where you can watch people play chess on a giant chess board, see children playing in the wading/fountain pool, or just sit and enjoy a coffee. During our last stay they blocked the park off for part of a day because the producers of the show "Leverage" were filming there. There is also a much older parkway with trees, grass, and flowers (roses) behind the hotel which stretches for several blocks. The parkway leads to both the art and historical museums as well as the concert Hall and includes benches and nice statues of Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt.

The hotel does offer valet parking, but I'm cheap so I use the parking garage across the street from the hotel. Finally, if you must have your cup of joe or latte to start the day, there is a Starbucks right next door.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thanks for the review Monty 98944, hope to have you back to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 20 June 2012

We spent 2 nights here and were upgraded to a corner room on the 9th floor. The price was very reasonable especially with a sr. discount. We self parked next door and saved the parking fee. We would stay there again. The only problem we had was that the water in the shower would not get hot enough, but it was OK.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thank you for the review flosser201!