“Great location, clean hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown

Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown
Ranked #51 of 137 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, Washington
“Great location, clean hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

I came here with my husband and 2 small children and had a great time. The location is great. Conveniently located off the highway but in a wonderful neighborhood. It is within walking distance to a child-friendly park and playground (15 minute), a streetcar for easy access to downtown ( 20 minute walk), and a plethora of restaurants, cafes, and shops along 23rd street.

The room and lobby were very clean, the beds were comfortable, the staff had great customer service. I had called earlier in the day to request a crib and it was in the room when I got there.

My family really enjoyed the breakfast. My one complaint about it was that the scrambled eggs tasted fake, and they had a lot of sugary starchy offerings. The pancake machine was very entertaining.

We thought the pool was a nice size for recreational swimming (although not long enough for lap swimming) and had warm water. I also liked that there was a microwave and fridge in the room. Overall, a good value and I would stay here again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank tourista01
TiffanyForni, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
First, we would like to thank you for your helpful review! We love to have guests take full advantage of our hotel's amenities and location. About the breakfast, we are sorry the eggs didn't satisfy. We do have less sugary options to chose from like hard boiled eggs, oatmeal and fruit. We try to be conscious of our guests dietary needs and provide different protein options throughout the week. Our signature cinnamon rolls have been one of the reason many people chose to stay with us so we will keep that sweet treat on the menu as we continue to improve our hotel in any way we can.

We are so happy that your family had a great time with us! We look forward to seeing you come back! Thanks again for your helpful review!

Tiffany Forni
Online Concierge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

This hotel is in a fantastic location, within a fantastic part of town. An easy stroll by historic homes, walking distance to dozens of restaurants and pubs, with Washington Park and amenities close by as well. A pleasant 30 minute walk or very convenient bus trip to downtown. Hotel amenities are on the higher end for a HI Express and the property is kept immaculately clean. Nearyby roadway (Vaughn) is a little loud in the morning but its a small sacrifice to make for the location.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the street
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review! We appreciate all of the great things you had to say about us. That tip you left is a good one! Vaughn can be a busy street at times. Some of the rooms that we have are extremely quiet. If any of our future guests would like the quietest room in that area of Portland just let us know when you reserve or when you check in and we can accommodate your request. All of our rooms have the sound dissolving windows. We do our best to give you a great night's sleep that close to downtown.

Again, we appreciate your review and thank you for your time writing it! We hope to see you again soon!

Tiffany Forni
Online Concierge
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

I've stayed at this hotel 3x now, for an annual business conference in Portland. It's convenient, near the freeway, free parking, freeinterenet, free decent continental breakfast including eggs, meats, yogurts, etc. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. I agree with another reviewer that the elevator can be slow. But unless you're dealing luggage, just take the stairs. There's only like 4 floors and the stairs are quite easy! The rooms are clean and comfortable. I appreciate having a small fridge & microwave in the room. The fitness room is available 24x7 which is great too.

The neighborhood is really cute and there is ton within walking distance. Quite a few decent to really good restaurants, a nice co-op grocery store, cafes, a few shops, etc.

I'll be back next fall for another stay and hope to book this hotel for a 4th stay!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Chandler, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

I like this location. It is just off of Nob Hill where there are plenty of restaurants to eat at. One tip is to get the list if you are planning to stay for a while in Portland.

The rooms are OK, but the elevator is slow. My toilet wasn't working and it never did get fixed during my stay. Not a deal breaker, because the room was pretty quiet. The high speed internet was OK.

Parking is a pain at this location, though not the worst I have seen.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
      Rooms
JenniferKeenen, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I apologize for the toilet and elevator issues. On a monthly basis we have our Maintenance Engineers inspect all rooms and common areas to fix any issues. In March, we completed a six thousand dollar internet upgrade to our entire hotel. I would love to invite you back to our hotel to see the upgrades that we have completed. Please feel free to contact me to discuss any future stays.

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2011

So just came to Portland with my girlfriend On my Days off. I am from Canada, work at a HI (Prefer not to say). I have never seen such bad service. So we go to check in, girl says, you requested a king size bed, so we have one for you. We head to the room, two double beds. No big deal, I am on vacation, whatever right? Go down later to ask about downtown map....girl looks at me like I am asking her a crazy and says, 'Yea I guess we Have one for tourists...' Did she not realize that we were just visiting? Has this hotel never gotten visitors? Then I ask how to get downtown, which at a quick glance at the map is just down 23rd street and left at burnside. She offers to mapquest it for me. I work at a hotel and have enough jive to just figure it out. I get there, but have no information on what to do downtown. It's like these people don't even live in their own city. No restaurant recommendations, things to do, or information on the free public transportation (which I find out is available from another hotel concierge) great, thanks. On a late night, she sends me down 23rd with no idea if anything is open, luckily we come across a nice restaurant called the Matador that is still open. But she didn't even give us a name, just sent us down a road. When I asked her where to shop, she says Pioneer place, and it takes her 5 minutes to locate it on the city map. I had already seen it before she points it out. She quickly told me Rose Garden Stadium is not on the map, but I quickly correct her and tell her where it is. I have been in the city for 12 hours. WOW. These people seriously need to get out more. Don't expect any friendly service from this place or any help with the city. As quick stopover, it's not bad at all. But someone needs to address the lack of personality in this place, as one HI employee to another.

Oh , and another thing, called down to get internet password. Night audit guy took 10 minutes to answer, then sounded pissed off when I asked. I feel really welcome here, thanks

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank YUT24
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment on our hotel. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Director of Sales
hixsales@pacificinns.com
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

I stayed here while attending a conference downtown. My mom tagged along with me. Right from the beginning my stay was great. The hotel is very easy to get to & it is super easy to go anywhere in Portland right from the hotel. It is a few blocks to the trolley, but if my 68 year old mother can do it, so can you. The employees were all eager to help & gave us directions & maps of the area. The room was clean & comfortable and the below ground parking was nice when it rained. I will be staying here next time I am in town!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

We stayed here while attending a conference in downtown Portland, which is about 5 minutes away by car. The room was very nice and modern. Lovely pool and hot tub. I actually found I preferred the Nob hill neighborhood to the downtown area, lots of cute shops and eateries and fewer chain stores. The breakfast was very nice, and had a number of hot options. Although not the healthiest option, the hot cinnamon rolls are very tasty. A great value--I'd love to stay here again when I'm not traveling on business!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for writing a review on our hotel. I am always happy to hear that our guests enjoy themselves, even when in town for a conference. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Director of Sales