“Frustrated” 1 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown
Ranked #51 of 138 Hotels in Portland
“Frustrated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I'm sure this hotel is just fine, but my recent interaction with the manager and front desk has left a bad taste for all Holiday Inns moving forward. My husband and I had planned to spend our anniversary in Portland next week, but he recently was injured and had surgery which requires him to be fairly immobile for the next 6-8 weeks, so we plan on coming to portland when he is back on his feet. Long story short I called to cancel/reschedule our hotel room and was informed that since I booked online and got "such a great rate" I cannot cancel or change my reservation. There goes $400, might as well have thrown it out the window. When I spoke with the manager he even told me he would never book online bc of the policy! Ugh! We had planned to stay here when we are able to make the trip, but now? No way! I have never in all my traveling ever not gotten a refund or credit, especially for a medical reason!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Courtney O
Tiffany P, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Hi Courney O

I remember your situation very well, and I am so sorry to hear about your husbands accident. When booking the type of reservation that you did, unfortunately it does not allow for refunds. As I recall my manager Leo was able to work something out for you folks for the next time you were in Portland. I do apologize that you still were not happy with the out come of that conversation. I hope your husband has a speedy recovery and your guys are able to enjoy the remainder of your summer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Excellent location, just off the highway, and at one end of Nob Hill. The service is consistent and meets expectations that I expect at a Holiday inn express location.
The only concern I have is the cleanliness of the pool. You can tell that it needs a good scrubbing and that it is probably because the disinfectant level dropped below safe levels In order to form algae. I just recently stayed at the jantzen location and their pool looked fantastic . Very inviting due to the cleanliness. I would like to feel comfortable and safe having my kids go swimming in your pool the next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello island-rider

Thank you for your review. Although we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, we are sorry to hear that you didn't find our pool to be up to your expectations. I will be sure to pass on your concerns to our maintenance department to be sure that all of our levels are safe. We hope you will stay with us again in the future to enjoy our pool!
Arvada, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Great location - easy access to downtown and Nob Hill area. Immediate surrounding area is a little noisy and rough around the edges, but the rooms are very quiet. Nothing exceptional about the desk staff, but the housekeeping and breakfast staff were great.

Room Tip: We had an upper floor room (4th floor) that provided a great view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tiffany P, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hi JHawn

Thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our housekeeping and breakfast staff. Hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The HIE was well near the airport, in a good and bad way my room i did not have any noise other than my sister next door. But the location was well worth the cost and the great room. Like i said HIE has not let me down in the last 3 years and is still at the top next to Days Inn for me.

Hi there CommandrJ

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Unfortunately though I think you may have written it for the wrong hotel as we are not near the airport, we are downtown. We do hope that the next time you are in Portland you visit us here downtown!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Holiday Inn Express is centrally located to the trendy little shopping area but just off the main artery so the price isn't boutique hotel price. It is a great value; clean, good staff, and most of the amenities you expected in a Holiday Inn Express. Great beds and pillows and quiet.

1 Thank BranchOffice
Tiffany P, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Hello there BranchOffice

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we truly appreciate it. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our location. I do hope that you will choose us again during your next visit to Portland, OR!
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here three nights while on business near downtown Portland. This is a good hotel choice if you want to be in NW Portland but it can be somewhat noisy since it's on NW Vaughn Street on the edge of the NW industrial area and it's close to the off ramp of the I-405 freeway. It's within walking distance of NW 23rd Street where there are a lot of shops and restaurants. The hotel has a large pool and jacuzzi on the lower level along with a small fitness center. There is a free continental breakfast with a decent selection of breakfast items. There is only one elevator in the lobby that is really slow. The stairwells at the end of each floor are narrow. Parking is free. Ask for a room on the side of the hotel that doesn't face the freeway.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank T J
Hi T J

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we do hope to see you again soon!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great location, amazing staff, clean and comfortable rooms and welcoming breakfast.

Hats off to the person who does the hiring at your hotel, you have some of the nicest staff I have ever experienced especially the staff on duty late afternoon/evening on the 21st June.

Love your recycling program especially in the restaurant however I would suggest that your sign at the top matches the signs at the bottom in the restaurant,. There was lots of confusion as to where some things went and many things made it to the garbage that should have been recycled.

Will be back to stay again.

1 Thank Carrie A
Tiffany P, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Hi Carrie A

Thank you so much for your review. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, including our staff and recycling program! We do hope that you will choose our hotel during your next visit to Portland, OR!