“Stay Here!”

Ranked #54 of 143 Hotels in Portland
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Stay Here!”
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I stayed here while attending a conference downtown. My mom tagged along with me. Right from the beginning my stay was great. The hotel is very easy to get to & it is super easy to go anywhere in Portland right from the hotel. It is a few blocks to the trolley, but if my 68 year old mother can do it, so can you. The employees were all eager to help & gave us directions & maps of the area. The room was clean & comfortable and the below ground parking was nice when it rained. I will be staying here next time I am in town!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We stayed here while attending a conference in downtown Portland, which is about 5 minutes away by car. The room was very nice and modern. Lovely pool and hot tub. I actually found I preferred the Nob hill neighborhood to the downtown area, lots of cute shops and eateries and fewer chain stores. The breakfast was very nice, and had a number of hot options. Although not the healthiest option, the hot cinnamon rolls are very tasty. A great value--I'd love to stay here again when I'm not traveling on business!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
JenniferKeenen, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Thank you so much for writing a review on our hotel. I am always happy to hear that our guests enjoy themselves, even when in town for a conference. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

hixsales@pacificinns.com
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Great hotel and decent location. Great staff.
All around great hotel IF you are NOT a business traveller needing VPN to do work from the room.
I have stayed at dozens of Holiday Inn Express across the country and this is the first one that I could not get a VPN connection to work over. Really? In this day and age of free wifi, a hotel chooses to have internet that does not support VPN?
So I called the "tech support" line. Indian (or what seemed like Indian) reps. All I asked was whether or not the internet here supported VPN or not. Three reps later, still not one had answered my question.
So I book it down to the front desk. Several agents later, they don't even know what VPN is.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND this particular hotel to business travellers needing VPN. I am now stuck here with no way to get to my work email. Wasted an entire monday trying.

Seriously, Holiday Inn Express, you have to be kidding me.

I will not be staying here ever again and will let all my coworkers and friends know.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank jimstem
JenniferKeenen, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, 1 December 2010
Dear JimStem,
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I certainly understand you frustration with our internet service. Our hotel caters to business travelers, and we understand that it is imparative for our guests to be able to connect to their VPN networks. Our General Manager, Dave Forni, is currently working on upgrading our internet, or if necessary, changing providers to accomodate the needs of our guests. This is a top priority of Mr. Forni's, and he understands that we do not want our business to suffer due to inadequate internet service. We are planning on having our internet upgraded by January 31st, 2011.

hixsales@pacificinns.com
Bedford, Indiana
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Nice hotel, good location. My daughters and I were visiting my sister, who was able to drive us around, so location wasn't an issue. It isn't in the middle of downtown, where you can walk around, but it is an easy walk in the Nob Hill district. We enjoyed many of the restaurants and coffee shops along 23rd. The hotel has nice lobby area, with a separate seating area with a computer, comfy leather sofas and fireplace. They also have a small convenience store, good, hot, free breakfast, and nice pool area/exercise room. The room and bedding were very comfortable as well. Nice stay and perfect choice for the price.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Baker City, Oregon
Reviewed 25 October 2010

My daughter and I stayed 2 nights at the hotel the first of October. We were very pleased with the room, the service (the ladies at the front desk were very helpful), breakfast and the parking was free. It was a easy drive to downtown and Bridgeport Village. The shops and resturants along NW 23rd were wonderful.

We will definitely stay here again and I have been telling our friends what a great find it is.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
imacsal
Reviewed 12 October 2010

A newer hotel, with great service, very clean and a good free breakfast. It just took me a couple minutes to get to downtown Portland (going South), but (WARNING) it took me 60 min to find my way back from the hotel from downtown (so, write down directions exactly). The ladies who worked there were very helpful. There was a guy who was substandard.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Essex
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stayed one night here on a huge road trip (Phoenix to Seattle). Check in was easy, and there was plenty of free parking. Our room had two queen beds and was very comfortable. There were no little 'extra' perks for being a Priority Club member though. The room was clean and very quiet and we slept well. Free WiFi worked very well.

Breakfast was the standard HI Express fare, though at least at this hotel they made an effort to recycle the packaging, etc. That was a plus. We had a view of the bridge from our room and found it very easy to get back on the road and head north.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
JenniferKeenen, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, 8 September 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It is always nice to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and the neighborhood. We have implemented a complimentary goody bag including bottled water and snacks for all of our Priority Club Members. We value your loyalty, we hope you will stay with us on your next trip to Portland, Oregon.