“Worst Service I have ever Encountered”

Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown
Ranked #52 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 11 February 2011

So just came to Portland with my girlfriend On my Days off. I am from Canada, work at a HI (Prefer not to say). I have never seen such bad service. So we go to check in, girl says, you requested a king size bed, so we have one for you. We head to the room, two double beds. No big deal, I am on vacation, whatever right? Go down later to ask about downtown map....girl looks at me like I am asking her a crazy and says, 'Yea I guess we Have one for tourists...' Did she not realize that we were just visiting? Has this hotel never gotten visitors? Then I ask how to get downtown, which at a quick glance at the map is just down 23rd street and left at burnside. She offers to mapquest it for me. I work at a hotel and have enough jive to just figure it out. I get there, but have no information on what to do downtown. It's like these people don't even live in their own city. No restaurant recommendations, things to do, or information on the free public transportation (which I find out is available from another hotel concierge) great, thanks. On a late night, she sends me down 23rd with no idea if anything is open, luckily we come across a nice restaurant called the Matador that is still open. But she didn't even give us a name, just sent us down a road. When I asked her where to shop, she says Pioneer place, and it takes her 5 minutes to locate it on the city map. I had already seen it before she points it out. She quickly told me Rose Garden Stadium is not on the map, but I quickly correct her and tell her where it is. I have been in the city for 12 hours. WOW. These people seriously need to get out more. Don't expect any friendly service from this place or any help with the city. As quick stopover, it's not bad at all. But someone needs to address the lack of personality in this place, as one HI employee to another.

Oh , and another thing, called down to get internet password. Night audit guy took 10 minutes to answer, then sounded pissed off when I asked. I feel really welcome here, thanks

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YUT24
JenniferKeenen, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment on our hotel. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 29 November 2010

I stayed here while attending a conference downtown. My mom tagged along with me. Right from the beginning my stay was great. The hotel is very easy to get to & it is super easy to go anywhere in Portland right from the hotel. It is a few blocks to the trolley, but if my 68 year old mother can do it, so can you. The employees were all eager to help & gave us directions & maps of the area. The room was clean & comfortable and the below ground parking was nice when it rained. I will be staying here next time I am in town!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We stayed here while attending a conference in downtown Portland, which is about 5 minutes away by car. The room was very nice and modern. Lovely pool and hot tub. I actually found I preferred the Nob hill neighborhood to the downtown area, lots of cute shops and eateries and fewer chain stores. The breakfast was very nice, and had a number of hot options. Although not the healthiest option, the hot cinnamon rolls are very tasty. A great value--I'd love to stay here again when I'm not traveling on business!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Thank you so much for writing a review on our hotel. I am always happy to hear that our guests enjoy themselves, even when in town for a conference. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Reviewed 16 November 2010

Great hotel and decent location. Great staff.
All around great hotel IF you are NOT a business traveller needing VPN to do work from the room.
I have stayed at dozens of Holiday Inn Express across the country and this is the first one that I could not get a VPN connection to work over. Really? In this day and age of free wifi, a hotel chooses to have internet that does not support VPN?
So I called the "tech support" line. Indian (or what seemed like Indian) reps. All I asked was whether or not the internet here supported VPN or not. Three reps later, still not one had answered my question.
So I book it down to the front desk. Several agents later, they don't even know what VPN is.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND this particular hotel to business travellers needing VPN. I am now stuck here with no way to get to my work email. Wasted an entire monday trying.

Seriously, Holiday Inn Express, you have to be kidding me.

I will not be staying here ever again and will let all my coworkers and friends know.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank jimstem
JenniferKeenen, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2010

Dear JimStem,
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I certainly understand you frustration with our internet service. Our hotel caters to business travelers, and we understand that it is imparative for our guests to be able to connect to their VPN networks. Our General Manager, Dave Forni, is currently working on upgrading our internet, or if necessary, changing providers to accomodate the needs of our guests. This is a top priority of Mr. Forni's, and he understands that we do not want our business to suffer due to inadequate internet service. We are planning on having our internet upgraded by January 31st, 2011.

Reviewed 5 November 2010

Nice hotel, good location. My daughters and I were visiting my sister, who was able to drive us around, so location wasn't an issue. It isn't in the middle of downtown, where you can walk around, but it is an easy walk in the Nob Hill district. We enjoyed many of the restaurants and coffee shops along 23rd. The hotel has nice lobby area, with a separate seating area with a computer, comfy leather sofas and fireplace. They also have a small convenience store, good, hot, free breakfast, and nice pool area/exercise room. The room and bedding were very comfortable as well. Nice stay and perfect choice for the price.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2010

My daughter and I stayed 2 nights at the hotel the first of October. We were very pleased with the room, the service (the ladies at the front desk were very helpful), breakfast and the parking was free. It was a easy drive to downtown and Bridgeport Village. The shops and resturants along NW 23rd were wonderful.

We will definitely stay here again and I have been telling our friends what a great find it is.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2010

A newer hotel, with great service, very clean and a good free breakfast. It just took me a couple minutes to get to downtown Portland (going South), but (WARNING) it took me 60 min to find my way back from the hotel from downtown (so, write down directions exactly). The ladies who worked there were very helpful. There was a guy who was substandard.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo