“Nice Place! Dog friendly.”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace
Ranked #24 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Nice Place! Dog friendly.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I am a dog lover, but don't have a dog. I got my "doggie lovin'" at this place. Lots of dogs. If you are allergic, look at one of their other properties. But the place is very very clean, even with all the dogs around. Great breakfast (dogs not in the breakfast area), very comfortable room. A short cab ride from downtown or hop on the streetcar. I stayed there on Thanksgiving, and the staff that was there were very friendly and nice. I would highly recommend this place to anyone, and plan on staying there again.

Room Tip: They have rooms with either a river view or a city view. I was on the 9th floor and my city view wa...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Seattleann,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed the dogs at the hotel but many will be pleased to know that we do have an entire section of rooms that are pet-free so even those with allergies can rest easy and have peace of mind. We hope to see you back in the future. Until then, safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Redmond, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I always look for 'Residence inn' when I am travelling with families as they have full kitchen and I have a three year old kid who refuse to eat out. I have been stayed at Marriott on the river front earlier I was looking for an alternative and found this hotel being very near to Down town Portland. It also has excellent connectivity using "Street Car" (Portland's version of light tram) if you don't want to take your car.
Room were spacious and clean but the age was showing on carpets. Got a good view of river from the room. As usual Marriott's excellent bedding and firm bed (One of the top reasons I prefer Marriott chains of Hotels) and clean linens.

The room was pretty spacious but I didn't liked the placing of the wash basin. The mirrors would reflect lot of light on the bed which is not good if you want to get ready without disturbing your partner or family. There should be a curtain atleast.

I really liked the B'fast served at this place. I would rate it much higher than then one served at other similar places. Even though the hotel was crowded due to being thanksgiving weekend the hotel staff was keeping up the pace.

Didn't like hotel charging 26$ per day for parking. Even downtown Marriott or Hilton charges the same being in middle of downtown.

Overall, good stay with no complaints. Would recommend to others but keep in mind the parking charges.

Room Tip: Take the rooms with view of river.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tarun S
Dear TarunS,
Thank you taking time to share your comments. I agree that RiverPlace has one of the best Residence Inn breakfasts! We hope that we will see you again this Thanksgiving holiday.
Eureka, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

OK, my hotel experience was wonderful at this beautiful hotel, great location, wonderful breakfast, quiet room. Traveling with my father in law, I requested handicap room or room with hand held shower, for walking person with mobility issues for him. He got off on his floor and I went to another, should have walked him to his door and would have seen it was the farthest room from the elevator in a long and large hotel. Staff took time to change his room, no offer to help him with his rolling luggage on his 2nd trip down hallways, no acknowledgement of the stress this put on him. Very disappointed with reservations and check in staff for lack of care for an obviously elder man with mobility issues. Did not return to this hotel for our next trip in Feb 2013.

Room Tip: If you require a handicap room be sure to verify before you make the trip to your room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dianne B
Aaron W, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Dianne,

I am very sorry that your father in laws experience was less than enjoyable during your recent stay with us. I really appreciate your feedback and taking the time to complete the TripAdvisor survey. I have shared your experience with our staff to ensure that we learn from our mistakes and hopefully next time you are in Portland, you will give us another try. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do for you.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

Aaron Watne
Muntinlupa, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

it's a great discovery . The place provided hearty breakfasts as great day starters; warm ambience for the evening discussions; and a very convenient place to start touring the entire city- its sites like the cable car, Japanese garden, the Rose Test garden, zoo, malls and shopping places,Monera steak dinner,etc. It's the second time we have visited the city but still we want more...wish I brought my kids

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank 717Diwata
Christine G, Administrative Assistant at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you 717Diwata for the great review! I am delighted this was the perfect place for you. We appreicate you sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community, we hope to see you in the future!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Clean and quiet place. Had business a few miles away and was easy access. Staff kind and courteous. There is a fee for parking which is a bit hefty. Breakfast it ok but included in cost of room and better than other places I have stayed. Nice size rooms with kitchen makes it feel like home.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nicki F
Hi Nicki F,

I am ecstatic you felt at home with us! We strive to bring that experience to every guest. We'll see you next trip!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We got a great price on spacious room with a kitchenette through Priceline.com. We arrived a bit early, but the staff were polite and able to check us in immediately. Our room was spacious, clean, and quiet. After a night on the town, we returned to our room to find a hand written card from the staff and a gift bag which included 2 local craft beers - nice touch! The buffet breakfast was good and included in the price of the room. The hotel is well situated within walking distance to downtown, and there is a tram stop directly beside the hotel which takes you right downtown. The hotel also offers a 12 pm check out time and express checkout. The only thing that was a little pricey was the parking at $26/night, but I guess that's pretty standard. We would definitely stay there again. Good value!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi MsAlisonKenny,

Thank you for such a great review! I am glad we were able to get you in early, and enjoyed the gift from the front desk. Microbrews are defintely a Portland thing! We hope to see you again soon!

Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

This hotel is better than most Residence Inns. You can walk downtown in ten minutes and catch the streetcar right outside the hotel. River Place area has grown alot; places to eat, drink, and grab coffee abound! Gym is very spacious and is also well-equipped, with free weights ranging from 3 lbs to more than I will ever attempt, four exercise balls, a BOSU ball, and weight and cardio machines. If you want exercise classes, you can walk over to the River Place Athletic Club and use their facility for $10. Pool is nice and large, too. Breakfast options are plentiful (again, more than most Residence Inns), and hotel offers free Wall Street Journal (a real plus!).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you auntashlee for the review. The gym is also my favorite place in our hotel! Having options is important, and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the equpment. See you next time!