“Newer Residence Inn”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace
Ranked #33 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is a newer Residence Inn and is very nice. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very helpful. They have a large breakfast area which is really needed in Residence Inns. The location is right downtown which is convenient.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear ConstantTraveller74,
We appreciate your comments and are glad that you felt our hotel was modern and up-to-date. Thank you for rating us 5 stars on cleanliness and service too! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed four nights in, Dec 28/13 to Jan 02/14 in room 821.

As soon as we opened the door, my heart sank. Before us was a bleak, tiny room with an odor reminiscent of cat urine. The room was tiny, the furniture (what there was of it) worn and shabby. One wall of the living room was completely bare, except for a large black TV, hung, like some hungry black monster eye. The armchair and divan were very worn, and there was a pale stain on the back of the divan, There was just a side table, no coffee table, or ottoman.

It was after 9:00PM. We were tired, hungry and our dogs needed to be walked and fed. We made the mistake of not asking to see another room.

We began to quickly unpack so that we could take care of the dogs and our hunger, but as I put my book on the bedside table, I discovered that it was covered with a sticky, jam like substance. I opened the drawer, to put a book there until the table was cleaned, but, the drawer had dust bunnies and hairs in it. We called the front desk and asked that the table and drawers be cleaned while we walked the dogs, and also requested a coffee table to make the place more liveable. We came back to a damp table top, and the coffee table was duly delivered, so we fed the dogs, went out to get a late night meal and then returned for a chilly night under the cold blast of air from the furnace vent on the wall facing the bed. (We closed the vent on subsequent nights.)

Daylight brought new discoveries. My barefoot husband stepped on a screw which was laying on the living room carpet. I stepped on a plastic price tag cord with sharp points, and we found other remains from former occupants on the carpet and bed skirt. As I put the bath mat on the bathroom floor, I saw that the floor at the base of the toilet was stained with urine and it didn't smell like roses. This did not make us at all confident that the rest of the bathroom was clean.

Even though Residence Inns provide a breakfast, I have allergies so we bring our own supplies and prepare something in the room. I always use the medium sauce pan which is standard issue, to boil water (it is rare to find a kettle in a Residence Inn). The pot was covered with the residue of its previous contents. There was no liquid dish washing detergent, just dishwasher powder which really doesn't work for hand washing anything.

I had, had enough so I phoned the front desk and requested a kettle or a container to boil water. A desk clerk arrived at our door with a smaller sauce pan and a huge dutch oven which he thought I could use to boil water. I showed him the dirty pot, bathroom floor, crusty spotted bed skirt, and scruffy carpet. I explained that we were going out shortly, to find some breakfast and would take the dogs with us so that the room could be properly cleaned. I also asked for some liquid dish detergent ( which is standard in the other Residence Inns we've stayed at) He apologized and took the dirty saucepan (sans the lid) with him. No kettle, or appropriate pot, ever appeared, although we were presented with a second dutch oven. It took 3 phone calls to get the dish detergent. The room was cleaned, and smelled better, but the urine stains were only slightly removed as they had been there long enough to be embedded in the caulking around the toilet. The next morning I did use one of the two dutch ovens to boil water, but discovered that the toaster didn't work. At least we were provided with a new one, still in the original, sealed box, that afternoon.

The charge for parking in the hotel's parking lot was $28 per night. We were unfamiliar with the area so we decided to pay it on the first night. The hotel parkade was full, so we had to park in the fenced area behind the parkade. The area was fenced, but not gated or in any way secured. We attempted to park in the actual parkade a total of three times and decided that it was not worth $28 to park in an unsecured, open air lot. There is private parking adjacent to a vacant lot just kitty corner from the hotel. There is no charge from 8:00PM to 8:00AM. You must pay promptly before 8:00AM as they were ticketing first thing in the morning. However, the cost is only $2.00 per hour and the area is very safe. There is 90 minute city parking directly across from the hotel, other private parking garages a few blocks away, and more city parking - all costing far less than $28.

The only apology, we ever got was "I'm very sorry about that" from the guy who confiscated the dirty saucepan. No discount was ever offered and they had the temerity to charge the highest pet cleaning fee ($25/dog per night) I have every paid at a Residence Inn. They really should worry more about cleaning the rooms than cleaning up after dogs.

We always travel with our greyhounds and seek out Marriott Residence Inn properties because of their pet friendly policies and kitchen facilities. Our expectations are a clean, efficiently designed 1 bedroom or studio suite, that is comfortable for a 2-4 night extended stay, preparing, and eating, some simple meals in the room. Only one other time, have we had a problem at a Residence Inn. We spent a frigid night at one because the air conditioning could not be turned off. That facility, when we reported the problem, immediately told us that we would be credited, in full, for that night's stay and the problem was promptly attended to.

Marriott Residence Inns are certainly not all alike, nor do we expect them to be but the Portland River Place Residence Inn is far from acceptable.

Room Tip: Inspect room thoroughly before moving in and don't use their parkade.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank chromatophore
Christine G, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear chromatophore,

My apologies your stay was less than satisfactory. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback so that we may improve our future performance. I am glad we were able to resolve things after the fact, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you travel to Portland.

Take Care,

Christine Gottschalk
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We have stayed at this property twice, while I attended conferences in Portland, in May of 2013 and in summer of 2011. Both times we have taken our family with us. Our last visit we had all 3 children along.

You have to overlook the highway that is above. It is loud when in the parking lot out back (and personally is kind of freaky when looking up!) but once inside you do not hear it, even if you have a room facing it.
The 1 and 2 bedroom suites are well suited for family travel, with kitchen and table/chairs and a nice living room.
Downside would be that the sole bathroom is all the way through the master bedroom. Oh well.
The pool in this hotel is the treat, and we used it both times. It is well maintained and large, as well the whole room is well ventilated without heavy chemical odors many pools have (and is brightly lit with natural light).

Being able to stay in a more quiet section of Portland is worth it. Walk straight out and hop on the paved path along the river, that winds along past restaurants - and even a small store to grab ice cream at. And unlike in the city center, professional panhandlers seem to not be there. That is worth it to me.

Breakfast is one reason we favor this property - it is huge and there is something for everyone, even miso soup and rice. Play it right, and you can make lunch to take with you.

The street trolley is also very easy to grab, just walk up a few yards to the stop.

Is it cheap to stay here? No. It isn't. It is though large enough for a family, feeds everyone happily in the morning, has a family friendly pool, can handle a jogger stroller in the elevators/hallways and doesn't require valet parking to a parking garage off property (as some hotels in the city center do). Pricewise I found that the large rooms/breakfast made up for any extra cost (family of 5 eating out? $60-80 each morning!) for the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah K

Dear Sarah K,
Thank you for being a loyal guest at our hotel. Our Riverfront location does mean that many bridges are also in view but the triple-pane windows are the secret that allow our guests to rest quietly! I agree that our indoor pool is one of our best amenities and I'm glad to know that you and the three kids enjoyed using it this stay. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

When we drove up to the hotel we were excited that it looked like a nice, newer facility. While the place seems to be maintained well, it felt worn out a bit, especially our room. Perhaps our expectations were too high for the property, but we felt that the hotel was nice, but nothing special. In addition, while the breakfast area seemed large, we discovered in the morning that it was far too small for the number of guests the hotel can accommodate so there was not place to sit for breakfast. We needed to wander around for about 10-15 minutes before we could find space to eat. The biggest win for this property is the location near the river. We really enjoyed being able to take a walk along the river and enjoy the Portland skyline.

While the hotel is a decent option for Portland, we would likely check out a different place the next time we are in town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank michael_in_irvine

Dear Michael in Irvine,
Thank you for your comments and your appreciation of our Riverfront location at Residence Inn RiverPlace. Our hotel will be receiving upgrades in the fall of 2014 and we hope you will give us a try again the next time you visit!

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I am a dog lover, but don't have a dog. I got my "doggie lovin'" at this place. Lots of dogs. If you are allergic, look at one of their other properties. But the place is very very clean, even with all the dogs around. Great breakfast (dogs not in the breakfast area), very comfortable room. A short cab ride from downtown or hop on the streetcar. I stayed there on Thanksgiving, and the staff that was there were very friendly and nice. I would highly recommend this place to anyone, and plan on staying there again.

Room Tip: They have rooms with either a river view or a city view. I was on the 9th floor and my city view wa...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Seattleann,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed the dogs at the hotel but many will be pleased to know that we do have an entire section of rooms that are pet-free so even those with allergies can rest easy and have peace of mind. We hope to see you back in the future. Until then, safe travels.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I always look for 'Residence inn' when I am travelling with families as they have full kitchen and I have a three year old kid who refuse to eat out. I have been stayed at Marriott on the river front earlier I was looking for an alternative and found this hotel being very near to Down town Portland. It also has excellent connectivity using "Street Car" (Portland's version of light tram) if you don't want to take your car.
Room were spacious and clean but the age was showing on carpets. Got a good view of river from the room. As usual Marriott's excellent bedding and firm bed (One of the top reasons I prefer Marriott chains of Hotels) and clean linens.

The room was pretty spacious but I didn't liked the placing of the wash basin. The mirrors would reflect lot of light on the bed which is not good if you want to get ready without disturbing your partner or family. There should be a curtain atleast.

I really liked the B'fast served at this place. I would rate it much higher than then one served at other similar places. Even though the hotel was crowded due to being thanksgiving weekend the hotel staff was keeping up the pace.

Didn't like hotel charging 26$ per day for parking. Even downtown Marriott or Hilton charges the same being in middle of downtown.

Overall, good stay with no complaints. Would recommend to others but keep in mind the parking charges.

Room Tip: Take the rooms with view of river.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Tarun S

Dear TarunS,
Thank you taking time to share your comments. I agree that RiverPlace has one of the best Residence Inn breakfasts! We hope that we will see you again this Thanksgiving holiday.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

OK, my hotel experience was wonderful at this beautiful hotel, great location, wonderful breakfast, quiet room. Traveling with my father in law, I requested handicap room or room with hand held shower, for walking person with mobility issues for him. He got off on his floor and I went to another, should have walked him to his door and would have seen it was the farthest room from the elevator in a long and large hotel. Staff took time to change his room, no offer to help him with his rolling luggage on his 2nd trip down hallways, no acknowledgement of the stress this put on him. Very disappointed with reservations and check in staff for lack of care for an obviously elder man with mobility issues. Did not return to this hotel for our next trip in Feb 2013.

Room Tip: If you require a handicap room be sure to verify before you make the trip to your room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dianne B
Aaron W, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Dianne,

I am very sorry that your father in laws experience was less than enjoyable during your recent stay with us. I really appreciate your feedback and taking the time to complete the TripAdvisor survey. I have shared your experience with our staff to ensure that we learn from our mistakes and hopefully next time you are in Portland, you will give us another try. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do for you.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

Aaron Watne