“Fantastic experience at this hotel”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace
Ranked #32 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Just happened to drive by this hotel when looking for a place to stay in downtown Portland. The parking was easy and convenient. A young man named Logan at the front desk was inviting and personable. His friendly welcome and attention to detail when helping me with directions was fantastic. During our stay the hotel staff was extremely helpful. Room was extremely comfortable and view of the city was nice. Breakfasts were excellent. Made our visit worry free!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Julie V,
We appreciate your time writing a review of your stay. I'm glad to know that you enjoyed the downtown and river front view from your suite! It's also a pleasure to read that Logan contributed to the excellent customer service you received. We hope to see you again at Residence Inn RiverPlace!

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here for a work trip, only one night. I am a Marriott platinum, so I was able to get a pretty good room...

Best feature is that my room faced North, and had an awesome view of the river. Try to avoid the east facing rooms, up high, as you are looking right at the I-5 bridge.

As usual, included breakfast and an evening happy hour with some food. Now that I have chosen to do the gluten free thing, there was not a lot to eat. Oatmeal and fruit, but I guess that is ok, when it's included for no additional charge.

Rooms was again very small for the suite style of room. I thought that with my Marriott Platinum status I would get a nice sized room, but it was the same as the rest of them.

Parking was a bit pricey, but I assume it's the going rate for downtown Portland. $28 per night, in a secure lot.

Hotel staff was very friendly, and accommodating, as they should be.

I will most likely stay here again, if I can't get the Courtyard at 5th and Oak.

Thanks.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Km24800,
Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards member. As a Platinum guest your feedback is priceless! Glad to know you had a nice river view suite and that our staff was friendly and accommodating. We are listening and your comments are appreciated.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I needed a place for Rock N Roll Portland Half Marathon so the hunt for hotels close to the start line began. There were definitely very many options. Rock N Roll also had specials for hotels on their site but they were still very pricey. There were 4 of us (two couples) so it's either share a room with 2 queen beds or pay for 2 different rooms. I had to use the map to find this place comparing it to the distance to the start line and found they had a 2 bedroom suite! Perfect! I booked it 5 months before the marathon and was able to get a great price. Cheaper price for I would have paid a night for a one bed queen room in a fancier hotel! I asked if they had Rock N Roll specials and they didn't (was probably too early). I called back closer to race day and found out my room was almost triple the price/night so I guess I did get a Rock N Roll special after all. Lesson: Early bird gets the worm.

As for the actual hotel review. This place is great. It was comfortable and the room had everything our group needed. We each had a room with private bathroom. There was also a full kitchen. We were able to use the microwave to heat up all our leftover food from dining out for 2 days. Water pressure was awesome, towels were nice and fluffy, the beds were comfortable, pillows were down feather and each room had a TV so after the race each couple just relaxed and napped watching TV in our respective rooms. The room came with a King and Queen bed and there was also a TV in the living room area. The TV's could be bigger but we weren't in the room enough to care. There is also a small pullout couch in the living room.

Customer service was excellent. Staff was polite and helpful. Due to Rock N Roll, they had breakfast start an hour earlier than normal giving runners extra time to dine before heading to the start line. Breakfast included a full spread of cereal, oatmeal, coffee/tea, orange/apple/cranberry juice, soda, eggs, sausage, fruits, bagels, toast, english muffins. Lots of options to choose from.

The hotel also has a jacuzzi and pool so we were able to relax after the run use both. So don't forget your bathing suits.

Considering the entire hotel is also dog friendly, the place was very clean and everything smelled fresh and new. We originally were going to bring our dogs but found family to watch them. But we saw quite a few dogs with their owners at the lobby etc. The dogs get to have a vacation too!

The only thing that I would complain about (hardly even) was the cost of overnight parking ($27/night). A little pricey but it was nice to be able to go in and out and not worry about where to park. Also WIFI was a little spotty in the room (free wifi). But it was great in the lobby.
I also found dirty socks under our bed from a previous guest. House cleaning wasn't very thorough in that regard.

If you are staying here for Rock n Roll Portland, the walk to the start line is less than a mile away along the waterfront. It's a great way to warm up and you will pass by cute little stores and restaurants along the way. They also offered a free late checkout for runners so they would have a place to shower after the race before checking out (first come first serve to request late checkout).

I would stay here again. Thank you for the great weekend getaway!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sweetmap18

Dear Sweetmap 18,
Thank you for staying with us during your visit for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Portland. I hope you had a good race! Thank you for commenting on our spacious suites, comfortable beds and how you enjoyed the kitchen facilities. We aim to please! Look forward to your return next May.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Girls' weekend-we picked this hotel because of the location near the river. Nice walk to check out the area. Streetcar close by to take us downtown or out to shopping areas. Room was spacious, clean, and good value. Breakfast was included, good selection. Would stay here again. Staff was very helpful. Hot tub was great (even with the annoying girl on her cell phone in the hot tub)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marcia13

Dear Marcia13,
"Spacious, clean and a good value" - thank you for these comments. We aim to please! I'm also glad to read that you enjoyed the hot tub and our complimentary breakfast. Thank you for staying at Residence Inn RiverPlace!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed in Portland last week for vacation. Room had a view of Mt. Hood. Love the kitchen with dishes so we could bring home leftovers from the great restaurants. Good breakfast every morning included with room. Fun activities on three nights of our stay in the evening. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Streetcar stop close to hotel was very convenient. Would definitely recommend for a vacation stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie F
Christine G, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Hey Debbie F,

Thank you for the fantastic review. I'm glad our hotel was a perfect fit for your stay. We strive to provide excellent service, and I am delighted your stay was exceptional. Hope to see you next trip!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times and have been assigned rooms in all parts of the property - lower floors, looking out on the nearby overpass, etc. Last week I hit the jackpot in rooms with a view - top floor corner room. The hotel is just beginning a needed update, but the location and this room with a view can't be beat.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hi BallGrl,

Thank you for sharing such a great picture! I'm delighted you got to experience one of our corner rooms that overlook the river. I also want to thank you for your loyalty to our hotel, we hope you come back next year and experience the hotel after our renovation!

Take Care,

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

So the hotel is not super fancy in the room design. A little old ladyish to me. We loved have the kitchen to wash my daughters bottles and stuff, they had plates and silverware and a full sized fridge you can store a lot in. The location is amazing despite bring right upside the freeway bridges but it was easy access to the river trails for nice walks and they also hold the Ronald McDonald house on a floor or two to help those families with kids in hospital. Very cool. Very close to the hospitals. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Ashljones
Christine G, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Hi Ashljones,

Thank you for the review. I am delighted the kitchen facility was most helpful for you. It's nice to being able to enjoy a meal in your room and eat off a real plate! We love our little neighborhood, close to the river, and a nice area to walk around. So many little restaurants popping up too. We hope to see you for your next visit.

Front Office Manager