“Hanging by a wire”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace
Ranked #32 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My overall experience was wonderful - great room service by attendant. Breakfast was ok, but would have loved more fruits in the morning. Maps provided of the city were confusing, which was also noted by a local, when asked for directions.

Room Tip: My room was near the freeway, which was kind of ok, but had to get use to the noise after a day or s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Christine G, Administrative Assistant at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Trudie J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay. I am delighted your stay was wonderful and the room service attendant did an outstanding job, I will definitely pass those comments along to that department. I appreciate your feedback regarding offering more fresh fruit during breakfast. It is the type of constructive feedback that we can learn and grown from. We work our best to stay "green" offering recycling bins in the room, and coincidentally we compost or recycle everything we can at breakfast. When you place your dishes in the bins, they are sorted accordingly by the breakfast staff. Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to see you again for your next trip to Portland!

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed one night at this hotel and was so impressed with everything. Staff was very friendly from the moment we checked in. Our room was on the 6th floor overlooking the riverfront area, which also includes looking at the bridge. Not the best view from your window, but I have seen worse. There was complimentary beer and a light dinner from 6-7:30pm on the day we checked in. This was very good and everyone seemed to be having a great time. On the next morning, we enjoyed the free breakfast buffet and was very satisfied with the variety and quality (there is information in your room telling you what is served each day). The location of the hotel is away from the main part of downtown Portland, but is easily accessible by streetcar which connects to MAX light rail. We also used the swimming pool and hot tub on the 2nd floor and it was very nice. Keep in mind that there is a self-parking fee of $28 per night if you have a car. Otherwise, I would highly recommend this hotel for either business professionals or leisure travelers.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Bryan T,
Thank you for rating our hotel five stars for cleanliness and service! We aim to please and we're glad to know that you had an excellent stay with us.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed for a week at the Residence Inn. It is a very nice hotel with spacious rooms along the waterfront area. Great breakfast each day which is included with room stay. Streetcar is within walking distance, so very easy to get to the downtown area. Staff was always friendly and very helpful with directions to the various sites in Portland. We have stayed previously at the Riverplace hotel, but loved the Residence Inn and would definitely stay there again.
T Henderson/Rockville Md

Room Tip: Pick a room on the lower level or facing the street....very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Twyla H,
We appreciate your feedback and are thrilled to know that you and your daughter enjoyed your week-long stay with us. Thank you for mentioning our wonderful breakfast buffet, spacious rooms and helpful staff. Customer satisfaction is the cornerstone of our business and we're glad to hear that you will choose our hotel when you come back to Portland!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here on an overnight layover when headed to Alaska. The hotel's location is both good and not so good. It is only a block from the Riverfront and a number of restaurants. However, it is located next to an interstate and construction area, and surrounded by taller buildings that are actually on the river. If you are looking for a river view, I think you should forget it. However, one block to a ton of restaurants and a great walking path along the river, in our opinion, far outweighed any missing view.....

We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded upon arrival, and ended up with a two room suite. Far too much room for the two of us, but it was a really nice gesture. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help us. Breakfast in the morning was good, and typical of almost any Residence Inn. The room was spotless.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room with a view of the mountain/city and away from the river which y...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank 354Bubba

Dear 354Bubba,
Thank you for your comments - we are listening! Our location is river front but some rooms do have better views than others. I'm glad that we were able to upgrade you - our two-bedroom suites also have two bathrooms and are very spacious indeed. The word "spotless" is music to my ears! We pride ourselves on having a very clean hotel so thank you! We hope to see you again when you visit Portland.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

The mini suite is a Simple hotel room with a wall that divides it in two Smaller rooms - uncomfortably so. They put us in a handicap room so the shower toilet area are all one with a shower curtain that is so close to the shower head that it is worthless - no room to turn around. Really they should at least ask if you mind being in a handicapped room before assigning it to you. Minimally equipped. Clean but well worn. Breakfast buffet was the worst of any Residence Inn I have stayed at. Inconvenient parking - unload before you go park or suffer stairs to haul luggage. Nice area but this hotel is not worth the inflated brand price. Right next to I-5 bridge so some noise from that - but much worse was a building vent fan in the bathroom that is very loud (can't turn it off). Select a room on a lower level if you want any water pressure. Some poorly maintained ceiling patches that looked like a 4 year old was in charge of maintenance.

Stayed: June 2014
Christine G, Administrative Assistant at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Karl S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. From your description I am guessing you were in one of our one bedroom suites, and I apologize if you felt like it was too small. I usually suggest the studio suite, as it is the same square footage, but without the wall it seems a bit bigger. We usually get such great comments about the size of our rooms. Being exceptionally full during the summer months all of our rooms must be used, including the accessible rooms and it seems it was disappointing to have received one such room.

I'd really like to learn what made your breakfast experience the "worst" of any Residence Inn. As you can see from our previous reviews our breakfast is usually the praise of the hotel, offering multiple options including gluten free items, and great service. If you would be willing to call or email me I would like to discuss it more with you. I will share your other comments with our operations manager so that they may be addressed on the maintenance side. We strive to provide every guest with an excellent experience, and it seems we fell short on this expectation. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, we would love the chance to earn your trust back with an outstanding stay.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I've stayed here on several occasions, most recently with several friends, and I am continually impressed with this hotel. The staff is friendly, helpful, and very knowledgeable. The rooms are clean and very spacious, and the breakfast selection is outstanding and free! The location could not be better, with a streetcar stop directly in front of the hotel (it's free to ride into downtown). I've stayed here when travelling for work, with my family, as well as when visiting with friends, and it has been perfect for every type of trip. I strongly recommend this hotel when travelling to Portland!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Christine G, Administrative Assistant at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Brooks M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel with the TripAdvisor community. I am delighted our hotel is in the perfect spot for your stays for business and leisure. We thrive on delivering the best service possible, and it seems we hit that mark every visit for you, so we hope you keep coming! See you next trip.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I travel weekly to Portland for work and always stay at the Marriott Residence Riverfront. The location is convenient, the hotel is clean, and the staff very friendly and helpful. Having my own kitchen is great as I much prefer to cook and not eat out. WiFi is complimentary as are the frequent evening social gatherings where food, beer, and wine are provided gratis. Breakfast is served daily, also gratis. The gym and pool are also great. Why would I stay anywhere else?

Room Tip: I have found every room they have put me in over the past year to be clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Doctor Z,
We are so thankful for you and we wouldn't want you to stay anywhere else! Thank you for your praise on the cleanliness of our hotel, the amenities we offer and the service you receive. Loyal guests like yourself make coming to work every day a joy. See you soon!