“Great place for family as well as business”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace
Ranked #27 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great place for family as well as business”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I have lived here on several occasions, short & long stays, with & without family on personal as well as business ; experience has been good always.
Great location, wonderful for riverside jogs, nice pool & gym (for the rainy days), courteous staff, good breakfast, nice social hours....

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank HaT73
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Harinath T,
We very much appreciate your comments and are pleased to know that we will continue to be your hotel of choice in Portland. Thank you for being a loyal guest!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have travelled all over the world and have never received so little for so much money. I was so disappointed in my stay at this place. I paid well over $1,000 for 3 nights and this is what I got: a nasty maid who refused to make up sofa bed (after being asked nicely), in fact she just about threw a plastic bag of bedding at us; room was not made up on second night, came back late and tired only to find wet towels and the room just as we left it; the refrigerator made all sorts of loud noise as did the A/C which roared on and off all night. When I complained to the unsmiling staff their reply was to offer us an item from the Market Place. So a big of chips was going to make everything OK. Had we not made plans on a tight schedule, we would have checked out after the first night and found something else. I am a 72-yr-old traveling with grandson. Now he knows what a bad hotel is like.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Joan R
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Joan R,
Thank you for submitting your comments - you should always expect great service when you stay with Marriott and the feedback you've mentioned is definitely out of character for our hotel. I feel as if there might have been communication issues with some of our staff. Please call me directly at the hotel so that we can speak further and make this right for you.
Kindly,
Brenda Aspnes
(503) 552-9500
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife, daughter and I stayed here while visiting PSU and to spend a little time in Portland. The public transportation was right outside the door, easy access to everything. About a 10 minute walk up the river to the Portland Beer Festival and the parks. Rooms were nice and clean, with multiple choices to eat, the kitchen was not necessary. The provided breakfast was meh.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the river or the city, we didn't and end up with a view of the par...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Explore_often,
We are glad to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us in downtown Portland and hope your daughter's visit to PSU was a success! Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us. We hope to see you again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for one night so we didn't have to deal with the 3 hour drive back to Seattle, our main vacation destination. I wasn't a big fan of Portland but the room made up for it. They upgraded us to a 2 room suite which excited my 8 year old son. The suite was clean and comfortable. The only "con" to the room was that it seemed plain and outdated. We stay exclusively in Marriotts when we vacation, oftentimes Residence Inns, and most of the other ones are decorated much better. This room was sparse and had a very old oven/stove. None of that made the stay any less enjoyable though since that stuff is only for aesthetics. The hotel is out of the way of any loud hustle and bustle yet close enough if you want to get to it. Parking is $28 a night but we parked on the street to offset that cost. If you stay here definitely look for street parking. You will only have to pay the meters until 7pm and then start up again at 8am.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Monchichi80
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Monchichi80,
Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. We hope we helped change your mind about Portland! Our suite furnishings and kitchens will be upgraded this fall so please come see us again next time. Hope you are enjoying Seattle!
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here for a night on May 19. The upgrade to a balcony room based on loyalty was appreciated. I had booked one of the open studio type rooms but this one was one with the wall separating the bedroom from the living room which gave it a tight feel. Unfortunately the room had a stale smoke smell. I don't think smoking is supposed to be permitted here but I could be wrong. For a night we could handle it. There was also a large pink stain on the carpet beside the foot of the bed. I didn't like thinking about how it may have gotten there.

We had a street view from a low floor away from the very loud overpass but most of the sound was muffled by the windows. I'm a heavy sleeper but I did hear the train pass by from somewhere during the night. Our friends who were in a room on a high floor very close to the overpass said they could hear the cars through the windows.

The evening reception food was weak but they did offer free beer and sangria. Breakfast was fine with a reasonable selection.

There was a nice area to walk right along the river beside the hotel. There were plenty of dining options there. It was pretty and would be good for a morning run. Streetcar access to the Pearl district and other areas was conveniently located across the street.

If I were in the area again, I wouldn't feel drawn to stay here. I'd likely try another area and a different Marriott brand. But the price was right this time at the time of booking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mommabean
Christine G, Administrative Assistant at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hi Mommabean,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm delighted to hear we were able to upgrade you to a balcony suite, those are hard to come by! However, the gesture seemed down played by the smoke smell and stain, for that I apologize. We are a smoke free hotel, and do charge a smoking penalty if you are caught smoking in the room or on the balcony, I will have our houeskeeping department check those balcony rooms.

I apologize you thought our evening reception food was "weak", we are a test hotel for the Residence Inn brand. Focusing our efforts on the quality of food served, creating happy hour events designed to get guests to mingle along with serving small bites, and delicious local beers. I will submit your feedback to our brand team, they are looking for specific comments about the night.

It's great to see you were able to walk around the area and enjoy Portland while you were here. We hope to see you again soon!

Christine
cgottschalk@innventures.com
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel is located on the waterfront of downtown Portland. If you don't mind walking uphill you can take a nice stroll into downtown from the hotel or alternatively take the tram which is right outside the hotel. The hotel is very good to use as a base to explore the local area. We had a car but left it at the hotel for the 3 days we were there and took the trams or walked mostly. There is a nice promenade along the waterfront to go for a walk or run that goes pretty far all around to the other side of the water. There are quite a few food truck pods in the downtown area. Make sure to try them out!

The hotel offers free wifi and a simple free breakfast in the mornings. The rooms are spacious and large but are starting to get a bit dated. The hotel had a notice that mentioned that they were about to start some renos of the rooms.

Overall a good stay at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Brenda A, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Gort_mtl,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our riverfront location and also took advantage of the streetcar - we sponsor our own stop on the streetcar line right in front of the hotel! You mentioned the food carts that are prominent in Portland and I'm glad you were able to experience these gems! As part of our new evening program we now have food carts come to the hotel twice a month. Thank you again for staying with us - we hope to see you next time!
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I chose the hotel for the separate bedroom and laundry facilities since my husband, teenage daughter and I were staying there in the middle of a fairly long vacation on the West Coast. The room, location, facilities (pool, breakfast, laundry) were all great. The staff was very professional and easily offered helpful suggestions on transportation, sights to see, and restaurants. Our only complaint was the pull out sofa for my daughter. The mattress was thin and she could feel the metal joints. Unfortunately, she did not sleep well there.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sharon,
I'm glad to know your family had a pleasant stay. Our suites are very spacious and the kitchen facilities allow for our guests to have all the comforts of home. It sounds like you enjoyed all the amenities we offer as well. Thank you for your feedback - we are listening!