“A gem that will not break your wallet”
Review of Bent Brick

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Northwest District
Cross street: NW 17th Avenue
Transit: Street Car stops at NW 18th, one block away. Many bus options available.
los angeles, CA
“A gem that will not break your wallet”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Stumbled upon this place as we were driving to Pearl district for dinner. The sign was bright and catchy. Even though it was not too busy on a Friday nite, decided to give it a try since we managed to find parking nearby. Liked the ambience of the place. Rustic, electric and retro. I liked the bar area and the open kitchen behind. Service was good and server takes time to explain each dish. A $49 tasting menu is a perfect choice if you have more people to share. Even though it's small plate, there's more than enough food to share. We loved everything from appetizer to dessert. Except for the chocolate cheese cake, the food is fresh and light. All in all, a good deal for the price. It would cost double in Los Angeles.

Visited May 2014

Hood River, OR
“Go for the Tasting Menu”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Came here with a party of 7 for the chef's menu paired with wine. Exceptional service beginning with reservations which many places in the pearl don't take. Food portions were generous and served "Family style". This worked well for a tasting menu since it allows you to take more or less of a certain offering depending on your preferences. Because of our group size, some of our courses came out with two choices to sample ( both the beet salad, and the black truffle salad). We also asked them to add in the duck fat jojo's and pair it with wine to start us off. They did of course and served it with some bubbly.

Part of what I liked about the menu was the balance between comfort food and fresh / in season fare. Also the combinations were creative and pushed some peoples pallets just a bit without being crazy or overt. Even when "pushed" it was with something that could be separated easily and not ruin the course for them (like the sliver of crispy pigs ear).

Would definitely come here again.

• Visited April 2014
Zijuatanejo
“Superb cuisine”
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We dined on the chef's tasting menu, and the variety and quality made it clear that this is a chance to show off, rather than clear out slow moving product. We had our server provide matching wines with the courses, and the result was excellent.
Among their cocktails are on-tap old fashioneds, very good, and various "shrub cocktails" targeted at our flavor preferences.
The bread with smoked butter and duck fat jojos were both very good, and salads and entrees remained at that high level. An enjoyable evening and dining experience.

Portland, Oregon
“EXCELLENT LOCAL UPSCALE COMFORT FOOD”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Was looking to try something along a local neighborhood tavern on a cold PDX winter evening during PDX Restaurant Month and came across The Bent Brick that focused on local everything. The Brick is located just a block off the Streetcar, so access is easy. My dining experience was during their happy hour on Saturday. Overall, the interior is a warm place that is very comfortable to handout in in comfort.

There was the cocktail menu, the regulatory menu, the happy hour menu, and at this time, the PDX Restaurant Month menu. All of the prices were reasonable, nothing over $20, with the happy hour very easy on the pocket book.

The cocktail menu was interesting so I tried their house Old Fashion (on tap even). I have a few Old Fashions around PDX and other places, and this alone is a good reason for me to come back. It was excellent to start off the evening.

I opted for the PDX Restaurant Menu and ordered the truffle salad and the beef cheeks with red cabbage and roasted beets with a side of their seared Brussels sprouts. The dessert was the butterscotch pots de crème.

The service was very attentive through out the entire meal. Between finishing the cocktail and the arrival of the salad, she asked if I would like wine with the dinner, and I asked for her recommendation. She instead brought me three samples of red wine – which I was able to sample and select what was best for me – nice approach with a very good result (discovered Canas Fiesta winery).

The salad was excellent with respect to flavors and quantity. The beef cheeks were fried, which when opened presented very tender meat that was reminiscent of pull port of all things. The red cabbage and roasted beets was an excellent counterpoint to the protein.

The butterscotch pots de crème was superb to the point that once I started eating it, it was impossible to stop so the coffee had to wait until I was done.

The Bent Brick provides what I would refer to as upscale comfort food in a very skilled comfortable environment. This is now definitely on my list of repeat visits (on a regular basis).

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank LovesTravel51
“Not really for kids”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Read about this place in local restaurant guide and it stood out for being suitable for kids.

Unfortunately the only kid thing of note was that a large sheet of paper with the kids menu written in crayon is given to the child.

The food was not great. I felt quite ill after a sausage I ate. We were very disappointed with the food especially having made a trip to get there from the other side of Portland.

We were left feeling like it was a bit "too cool for school". Despite the pretence of being somewhat kid freindly, we were clearly not the desired demographic. This was confirmed by being offered a not great table in a mostly empty room. We asked to get a table further over with banquette seats that seemed more confortable but were denied it. Some 10 minutes later a young couple were given the same large table that was denied to us 4.

• Visited August 2013