“Nice Views”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Morris Plains
“Nice Views”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Only for Riverview. Hillside view is not very picturesque. Staff is friendly. Rooms are spacious.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MommyLinda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The Avalon is a wonderful hotel. Our room was clean, the staff was incredibly nice, and the spa was amazing. But, there are no vegan options on their room service menu, or at the accompanying restaurant. Being in Portland, I was very surprised and disappointed that they did not have anything for vegans on the menu. My wife and I arrived late at night and were hungry from our travels. When we arrived at the Avalon we had to order vegan pizza from an outside restaurant. (It was delicious by the way! I wish I could remember where it was from.)
However, if you are not vegan I would highly recommend the Avalon. Make sure to look for their flavored water of the day in the lobby. It it amazing!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Liked this hotel better than some of its pricier competitors in downtown Portland. Room was clean, and i enjoyed opening the curtain in the morning to a deck facing the rushing creek and a quiet jogging, biking path. Don't know why i was assigned a handicapped room, would have preferred a room with a tub, but it was well-appointed and everything worked well. One complaint: they require you to pay $19 to have the valet park your car. For this price i would have expected someone who could move my car without nearly burning out the clutch. I realize lots of Americans can't drive stick shift, but, really, this should be a requirement for a valet!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Port Hadlock, Washington
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was the best I've seen in a moderately-priced hotel. Lots of amenities and comfort items. Staff was friendly and helpful. Adjoining restaurant reasonably priced with good food and service. The riverside setting made the location special. Didn't use spa or exercise facilities, but they are very complete and should be useful to a business or leisure traveler.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We booked this hotel on Priceline after researching at betterbidding and knowing we'd get this hotel. Can't remember the rate but I think it was about $100/night all inclusive of taxes. Good value for Portland and high season. I hesitated between 3 and 4 stars as I felt it was about a 3.5, but I gave 4 since it was really good value for the room and amenities.

The spa was nice enough and there was no charge, but men and women are separate so my husband and I could not hang out together.

The room was clean and faced the river. It's a bit of an unexpected location, among residential area but on the river. Modern building and decor.

Coffee and light breakfast was available on every floor in the a.m., which is good because you can get your morning caffeine before getting all showered and dressed up.

We did have a car, which we parked with the valet when we arrived. The parking fee was $20. The second night we found street parking.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel, especially if you find a good rate.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Yellow Springs, Ohio
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I was pleasantly surprised upon checking in to find that I was given a free upgrade to a suite, perhaps because I was staying for four nights. I had requested a river view of the Willamette and this was included in my suite, along with a natural gas fireplace, living room complete with sofa, t.v., coffee table, shelving, small safe, chair and desk. The room was beautifully decorated, and so peaceful, but best of all the mattress, which must have been a pillow top, was so incredibly comfortable (king size), and the sheets were wonderfully soft. In the early morning when I opened my curtains, the reflections of the sun on the water filled the room. The continental breakfast was a little different, with shortbread cookies that were called "scones" (plus banana bread, cereals, fruit). I walked a mile south down the jogging path along the river, turned right at the boat club to go up to Cafe Duberry (corner of Nebraska Ave. and Macadam) for delicious hot breakfasts. Excellent service there. Hotel desk clerks most helpful in giving directions, etc. Dimmer lights over tub great for keeping the bathroom lit at a low level for night trips to bathroom. I left this hotel thoroughly rejuvenated after comfortable, peaceful nights, basking in the river view during the day. Streetcar stop for Portland State and downtown just a few blocks away in back of Matisse Apts. Dinner at Aquariva next door was very good; outdoor dining along river; friendly, efficient service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank swimmer067
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 23 May 2011

First off, I will state that the design of the hotel is inviting and mildly pretentious as expected. The staff were well trained and pleasant. We were particularly impressed with the valet in that they had to deal with the very cramped and poorly designed, shared parking lot. (basically a cul-de-sac with the Aquavaria restaurant) More on that later.

The Room:
We received an upgrade to a Deluxe suite from a Jr. suite. Our suite was as expected, Clean and pleasant with grandiose panoramic windows with a vista of the lush green hill side, neighboring buildings and the parkling lot. From our balcony we could see a little of the river. The decor was functional and thought out for the scale of this hotel. The bath was done in good taste altough the shower was small for two and tub was just a tub.

Sleeping:
The bed was comfortable as expected and the bedroom was able to be secluded from the rest of the room by two solid sliding doors, a nice touch however the sound proofing left much to be desired as we could still her guests in adjoining rooms. The Airconditioning was the bigest flaw. It was exceedingly noisy when it switched on disturbing what could have been a very good nights sleep. Mind you this was a mildly warm two days in May and we set the temp for a comfortable 68 and it switched on frequently. Any chance of sleeping late was also ruined by a bus trying to navigate that poorly designed cul-des-sac of a parking lot for the Aquivaria restaurant. It's back up alarm agravating all guests I'm sure.

Service/food:
The staff were well trained and courteous. The spa treatment was effective affter a days drive however a tad overpriced for our couples massage. Still very pleasant and almost worth it. We did miss the opportunity to utilize the gym. Room service from the Aquavaria was disapointing. I was put on hold and forgotten about! We went elsewere. After returning we decided to order a snack I called again and ordered some warm chocolate chip cookies. Tasty and very, VERY overpriced! The breakfast left much to be desired. Cookies, yogurt, cold ceral, common fruit, and plain coffee. Not at all appetizing. However if the breakfast would have been actually adequate we may not have left and experienced the exquisit breakfasts at the many local establishments.

Valet:
They maintained a freindly disposition and were accomodating, (Actually asked if we would be leaving again that night, a simple gesture that is becoming more uncommon) As I stated that we would be leaving I did make note that he parked our car on the side walk closest to the main enterenace as if to put it on a pedestal along with other cars sharing the sidewalk...yes again parking was that poor. From out balcony we could observe the commotion of various valets orchestrating a ballet of chaos and confusion to eventual order.

Overall, our stay was actually a pleasant one as we enjoyed ourselves and Portland's amenities and I would go back to the Avalon, requesting a room on the opposite side.

Room Tip: Maybe try the river view for better nights sleep.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple