“Great stay Beautiful property”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #43 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I came here to Portland to be with my father who was in the OHSU ICU ward for an accident. It was a very stressful time for me. The Avalon is a hotel that I had heard of but did not really have a reason to stay in Portland. However under all the circumstances that I had found myself and my family in we chose to stay here. What a great decision that was!! The staff first of all were very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were very comfortable and very very clean. All of the amenity's were great. The spa was beautiful, and I had my mother who was under a lot of stress get her hair done in the salon, which did an amazing job with her. Great place to stay under any circumstances! When I come back up for other needed stays here in Portland, there is only one place for me......The Avalon Hotel and Spa!

Room Tip: river view rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 April 2012

I was having facial reconstructive surgery at OHSU nearby and needed a place to recover nearby. We stayed 4 nights. The staff was most helpful in meeting my special requests at booking that we have a fridge in our room for food items that needed to stay cold for after my procedure and use of a dvd player as I was not going anywhere for a while.
Although I did call a few days ahead of our arrival to make sure our requests were met, everything was there. My stay was very comfortable as a result. We ordered some room service, and ate at the restaurant, Aqua Riva a few times. All food and service was above board. They also had a special OHSU hospital rate for our stay. The room had a nice view of the river and a balcony. We were very happy with the hotel and the location was helpful as I was nearby OHSU for my after care appointments. I highly reccomend this hotel for anyone, especially if you are going to OHSU for any reason.

Room Tip: We had a river view room on the 5th floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I got my reservation through an online service so knew nothing about the place -- I was thrilled when I arrived and saw the wonderful location. My room, which faced the river, was spacious, very clean and comfortable. While I didn't get any spa services, I very much enjoyed the large jacuzzi which is available to hotel guests. The restaurant, also with great views, had excellent food and service. Everyone was friendly and welcoming, and when my subsequent plans changed and I was able to return for another night, I was greeted like a long-lost friend. One of Portland's inexpensive and convenient streetcars stops very close to the hotel, and there's a lovely long walk you can take down by the river. I can't imagine staying anyplace else in Portland, and I look forward to my next chance to stay at the Avalon.

Room Tip: I recommend upgrading, if necessary, to get one of the river view rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We booked a groupon for the Avalon in Portland, OR. The hotel is well kept, the rooms updated and romantic, the spa was expansive, the service was great! Savannah was very helpful at the desk. We had a room facing the river and it was very romantic. The location was not ideal, but we enjoyed our time at the hotel and there is a really nice restaurant next door. Breakfast was included and very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Request a river view on an upper floor
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2012

From the moment we pulled up outside to the moment the valet loaded our suitcases to leave, we enjoyed impeccable service and gracious accomodations. We can't wait to return. The restaurant is very nice and I would consider it FINE dining. Not a place to take the kids! But the service is excellent and the food is artistically prepared. We dined for 4 hours without feeling rushed out. The room was well appointed and very comfortable. Pay the extra and get a river view. I wish we would have! We loved NOT being in the downtown. It seemed more restful and relaxing. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Get a river view!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
AvalonHotelSpa, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to post an amazing review of your stay with us. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to The Avalon Hotel and Spa in the very near future.

Sincerely

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We had an excellent stay here. The location by the river provides a great place for a walk and the accommodations were clean, the staff very friendly and the room was in good shape.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine but request one with a river view if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Mineshaft57,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Avalon Hotel and Spa. We are glad that your stay was great and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We travel to Portland on a regular basis, but had a hard time finding a place that we liked to stay in until we stayed at the Avalon. It is convenient for us, but also friendly and very nice. The rooms are large and comfortable. The continental breakfast doesn't offer anything hot, but is good. It is very clean, and we love the riverside rooms!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathy B

Dear Kathy B.

It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Avalon Hotel and Spa, how comfortable our accommodations were for your stay, and the friendliness of our staff.

I will be very pleased to assist you with your future reservations; you may contact me directly at amaret@avalonhotelandspa.com.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor.