“Could've been great; merely average at best”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #38 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Could've been great; merely average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

My wife and I have had the opportunity to travel a lot for both work and pleasure. Between the two of us, we've been in 5-star hotels in Hong Kong to sketchy roadside joints in Greenville, SC and everything in between. So it is with a heavy heart that I can not give a full glowing recommendation to the Avalon Hotel in our hometown of Portland, Oregon. We wanted to treat ourselves to a nice resort close to home-- this didn't quite cut it.

With luxury hotels, the true mark of exclusivity is the small things and little touches-- any old place can set you up with a bed, shower and TV-- it's these minor elements then which set an upscale property apart. So I couldn't help but notice on our first trip to the room that the receded light fixtures in the hallway walls were all missing their frosted glass, exposing bare bulbs. A minor thing, sure-- but that set the tone for the trip. First, the positives: The staff was efficient and courteous and the lobby was a relaxing and impressive space. Our room was an end cap suite at the end of the hall with a back porch that looked onto the Willamette River. It was a peaceful setting to be sure. We booked a couple's massage in the Avalon's fantastic spa, and it was worth every penny-- I just may go back there to get treated again for my sports injury. And the Aquariva Restaurant on the property is a criminally underrated jewel in a city known for being a foodie hotspot.

As for the negatives... again, the small errors crept in: a rather noticeable wine stain (at least I hope that was wine!) in our room's carpet, easily cleanable with the right equipment-- why leave a stained carpet in a luxury suite?! The room itself was surprisingly bland and the decor was a bit of a mishmash. My sink's faucet nozzle was cross threaded and shot water out at a 45-degree angle. The 2 TVs were older and pretty worn out, so the picture quality was dark. The gas fireplace was insanely noisy. My bedside lamps were both missing their on/off switches. There was graffiti/tagging in the wood paneled elevator. This may be nitpicking to some, but when you pay for a room at a place considered one of the more upscale hotels in the city, you expect a top-flight experience. Had we stayed in a lesser property, I'd let these sorts of things slide; as it was, I can only recommend the Avalon for some of its points: a great spa, a comfortable enough bed, and an excellent restaurant. If they only paid more attention to those little elements that separate the great hotels from the average ones, they'd have a winner on their hands-- but for now the Avalon is just an average hotel with upscale pricing that aspires to be something more than it is.

Room Tip: Riverside-facing rooms look out onto the river; other rooms overlook the parking lot and/or adjacent...
Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Saabguy-503
AvalonHotelSpa, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Saabguy-503

Thank you for the feedback and for the opportunity to respond to the issue. We are sorry your stay was not a pleasant experience and apologize that we failed to meet the basic expectations you deserved and should expect.

We have already begun to work on some of the maintenance issues especially the elevator’s panel. We value this feedback and will put it to good use.

Ana Maret

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I came here to Portland to be with my father who was in the OHSU ICU ward for an accident. It was a very stressful time for me. The Avalon is a hotel that I had heard of but did not really have a reason to stay in Portland. However under all the circumstances that I had found myself and my family in we chose to stay here. What a great decision that was!! The staff first of all were very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were very comfortable and very very clean. All of the amenity's were great. The spa was beautiful, and I had my mother who was under a lot of stress get her hair done in the salon, which did an amazing job with her. Great place to stay under any circumstances! When I come back up for other needed stays here in Portland, there is only one place for me......The Avalon Hotel and Spa!

Room Tip: river view rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

I was having facial reconstructive surgery at OHSU nearby and needed a place to recover nearby. We stayed 4 nights. The staff was most helpful in meeting my special requests at booking that we have a fridge in our room for food items that needed to stay cold for after my procedure and use of a dvd player as I was not going anywhere for a while.
Although I did call a few days ahead of our arrival to make sure our requests were met, everything was there. My stay was very comfortable as a result. We ordered some room service, and ate at the restaurant, Aqua Riva a few times. All food and service was above board. They also had a special OHSU hospital rate for our stay. The room had a nice view of the river and a balcony. We were very happy with the hotel and the location was helpful as I was nearby OHSU for my after care appointments. I highly reccomend this hotel for anyone, especially if you are going to OHSU for any reason.

Room Tip: We had a river view room on the 5th floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I got my reservation through an online service so knew nothing about the place -- I was thrilled when I arrived and saw the wonderful location. My room, which faced the river, was spacious, very clean and comfortable. While I didn't get any spa services, I very much enjoyed the large jacuzzi which is available to hotel guests. The restaurant, also with great views, had excellent food and service. Everyone was friendly and welcoming, and when my subsequent plans changed and I was able to return for another night, I was greeted like a long-lost friend. One of Portland's inexpensive and convenient streetcars stops very close to the hotel, and there's a lovely long walk you can take down by the river. I can't imagine staying anyplace else in Portland, and I look forward to my next chance to stay at the Avalon.

Room Tip: I recommend upgrading, if necessary, to get one of the river view rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
JACKSON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We booked a groupon for the Avalon in Portland, OR. The hotel is well kept, the rooms updated and romantic, the spa was expansive, the service was great! Savannah was very helpful at the desk. We had a room facing the river and it was very romantic. The location was not ideal, but we enjoyed our time at the hotel and there is a really nice restaurant next door. Breakfast was included and very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Request a river view on an upper floor
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
South Lake Tahoe, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

From the moment we pulled up outside to the moment the valet loaded our suitcases to leave, we enjoyed impeccable service and gracious accomodations. We can't wait to return. The restaurant is very nice and I would consider it FINE dining. Not a place to take the kids! But the service is excellent and the food is artistically prepared. We dined for 4 hours without feeling rushed out. The room was well appointed and very comfortable. Pay the extra and get a river view. I wish we would have! We loved NOT being in the downtown. It seemed more restful and relaxing. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Get a river view!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
AvalonHotelSpa, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to post an amazing review of your stay with us. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to The Avalon Hotel and Spa in the very near future.

Sincerely

Central Point, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We had an excellent stay here. The location by the river provides a great place for a walk and the accommodations were clean, the staff very friendly and the room was in good shape.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine but request one with a river view if possible.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Mineshaft57,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Avalon Hotel and Spa. We are glad that your stay was great and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

Regards,