“Enjoyed our visit”

River's Edge Hotel
Ranked #43 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 January 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 4 nights at this hotel - we did not have a river view room, which would have been nicer. The hotel has walking trails directly behind it on the river. Parking is valet only, but the valet guys (particularly Zach) were very helpful with suggestions and directions. The room itself is very nice, although our toilet would sometimes run after flushing. The problem seemed to disappear if you flushed again. The bathroom was very spacious. The bed was very comfortable, although on the 3rd night, we noticed they switched our king-size pillows for standard-size. I would agree with another reviewer that outlets are not convenient for charging electronics...you do have to crawl on the floor under the desk to access them, or, I also pulled my nightstand away from the wall to gain access to an outlet. The TV in the room was the old box-style, not a flat screen, which was kind of surprising as the decor of the hotel seems fairly updated and modern. The hotels offers a continental breakfast daily consisting of yogurt, fruit (apples & bananas), typically 2 types of muffins, or a muffin and some type of sweet bread, and 3 types of cereal (raisin bran, cheerios and granola), orange juice and coffee. The granola (which appears to be homemade) is outstanding. I could eat that stuff every day. Probably the best granola I've ever had. What was extra nice is that the continental breakfast is served on each floor near the elevator so you never have to leave your floor, which is great because I don't look so hot before I have my morning shower. The rate at the hotel was very reasonable, but again, we did not have a river view. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2013

Dear IwanttogotoMexico,

Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable and detailed feedback with the TripAdvisor readers.

We are thrilled that you found your accommodations and continental breakfast outstanding, and our Valet team helpful -Zach and the rest of the team are really awesome.
My colleagues and I are thrilled that we have gained you as a loyal guest. We look forward to have you as repeat guest in our Hotel. Please contact me for your next visit, I will make sure you stay in one of our riverside rooms.

503.802.5807
River's Edge Hotel and Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,408)

Reviewed 12 January 2013

I spent another three nights at this hotel. Some deficiencies still have not been addressed. Very few places to charge electronic devices. It would help if they had outlets close to the desk that could be accessed without having to crawl on the floor. The plumbing is also problematic as I had to have someone come work on the commode in order for it to flush reliably. This is the second stay where this has been a problem. But, the beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean and spacious. The continental breakfast, offered at each elevator landing, is very nice. Overall, the good certainly outweighs the bad.

Room Tip: See if they will upgrade you to a River view room. The view is spectacular.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Okay - this hotel is beautiful and is right on the river (Willamette), if you get a river view room. The parking is valet only, and sometimes the valet gives bad directions on how to get back to the hotel from downtown, but at least I got to cross the river 4 times! It can be difficult to get to this place, from any direction, and it's not exactly in the middle of things, but.......the rooms are comfy, there's a refrigerator and safe, coffee machine, and cold buffet breakfast on each floor. The prices are very reasonable, and the rooms can be noisy due to hallway noise. altogether a nice place to stay, but you'll need a car.

Room Tip: The river view is very soothing, and there are chairs on the balconies.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2013

Dear stillhall,

Thank your for your feedback, I apologize if you received erroneous directions by our staff, this is not usual practice but I am happy to know you enjoyed your accommodations and room amenities. Looking forward to your next visit.

Regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Good hotel centrally located in Portland. It sits just outside downtown on the river. The service was great.The workout facility in the hotel is one of the best I've seen in a hotel. The continental breakfast each morning in front of the elevator was a nice touch. A few issues that should be addressed: The linens could have been a little more comfortable and the water pressure was a little weak. If these are fixed my 4 star would be a 5. Overall nice experience for the family.

Room Tip: You will want to stay up on 4th or 5th floor as that is where Bfast is located
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Dear Texasfly

Thank you for your review, we are glad that you had a good time in our hotel and enjoyed the fitness center and the service from our staff. Just to clarify to others, Continental breakfast is served on all floors. We appreciate your feedback regarding linen and water pressure, I promise you we will use it to improve. Thank you for your comments.

Regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2013

This hotel deserves a 4 star. Front desk staff was awesome, thank you Daniel. The rooms were well appointed, clean and modern. The bed linens were soft and plush (high thread count). Our room faced the Columbia River with a balcony. The spa is small but fantastic. Very, very clean and offers all spa services an amenities complimentary. The restaurant, Aquariva has a nice atmosphere and friendly weight staff. The wine list is decent, lots of local choices but expensive. The menu is diverse but average and overpriced.

Parking is $19 a real turn off and the breakfast is standard continental. Complimentary wi-fi is always nice.

There is a walking,hiking, bike trail just outside along the Columbia Rivers. If you have the time, take a walk.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear sspc,

Thank you for your comments on your stay with us. We are very glad you were able to experience the great customer service our Team provides. We hope to see you back soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed 5 January 2013

very accomadating staff , great location and really comfortable to use. We stayed with a special voucher over Christmas and found it was much better than I'd expected. The staff was very helpful and personable, the breakfast is served early and on each floor making it incredibly convenient and comfortable to use, the rooms are large, clean and even pleasant on the non view side. It helped make traveling on Christmas a real pleasure. Thanks to the staff and management for a job well done and best of luck in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear drivesalot_225

Thank you so much for your kind words and for the best wishes. Mission accomplished, we are delighted to read your comments.

Hopefully your travels will bring you back to Portland and will get to enjoy more of what the city has to offer and you can join us again for another great stay.

Please feel free to contact me directly, I would like to assist you with your reservations arrangements.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 1 January 2013

We were hoping for a romantic and restful getaway full of movies, reading and relaxation. The location is beautiful and our view was lovely. Unfortunately our neighbors were having a party and had both the door to the hallway and to the deck open. We tried to snuggle in and read but they were too loud for us to relax. The wi-fi was not functional in our room so we could not read on the ipad or plug in the roku we brought to watch movies. The HBO was also not working and we had to have the TV too loud to drown out the neighbors. We gave up and left early for dinner. On our way out we let the front desk know the situation and asked that they clarify with our neighbors the "no party" policy we were asked to sign upon check in. The dinner was wonderful, the service impecable and we had a lovely time. We returned to our room and were still unable to access wifi so no movies or reading but we did grab a paper in the lobby and I also had a book. The bed was comfortable and we fell asleep easily....our neighbors returned around midnight and the party jolted us from our sleep. They only laughed harder when we and other guests banged on the door. I notified the front desk, reminding them we had asked to have this issue to be resolved earlier. They assured us it would be taken care of. The volume went down some, but we were awoken repeatedly throughout the night by loud bursts of laughter and rousing conversation as well as comings and goings from the room. Terrible nights sleep. To top it off when we woke up in the morning we discovered a condom wrapper on the floor beside the bed that was from the previous occupants.... absolutely disgusting to step on.
The gym was nice and the continental breakfast was very welcomed, the granola in particular was delicious.
Upon checkout we were not asked how our stay was, I assume this was because they knew we had been unable to sleep due to our contacting them. I felt compelled to let them know about the condom wrapper so the next guest would not share my experience. She said, oh, so sorry, of course we will let housekeeping know. Kind of an under response.
Anyway we won't be back....we went to a lot of trouble to get childcare for a romantic overnight away, this was my christmas gift to my husband and I was very disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with wi-fi since some do get it. If your neighbors are loud request to be moved as t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
HMGR, General Manager at River's Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear thehart5

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your past stay. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. A romantic getaway should be a relaxing memorable experience. I regret that we were unable to resolve the issue with the noise from your neighbors. We are currently in the process of upgrading our Wifi system and hope to have the low signal strength corrected shortly. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our workout facilities and Continental Breakfast. I invite you to contact me directly should you decide to give us another opportunity to win your business back.