“Nice rooms & view, great service”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #36 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Washington
“Nice rooms & view, great service”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

My wife & I went for a weekend overnight getaway. We live in the Portland metro area but enjoyed being in a different part of the city than we normally see. The rooms are nicely furnished & fairly typical for this price range hotel. Views of the "hillside" or willamette river are available . We chose the river view, which in late march, was nice. I can understand how some previous reviewers may have been disappointed with the river view in summer, when the cottonwood trees that line the riverbank would be in full leaf, obscuring much of the river beyond. The service is great, & bikes are available to tour the area. The river front path is excellent for walking, jogging & biking. Be advised that if you want to take advantage of the spa services, such as massages, a reservation is recommended. While not really within walking distance of downtown, it would be a quick cab ride away.
The adjoining restaurant & bar, aquariva, is worth a visit and deserves it's own review. Like the hotel, much of the value is in the the view and location, but the food & service are worthy.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hi Ian!

I loved reading that you are a local "getting away" to your own city - very inspiring! I know you were able to take advantage of our bikes, but I'm not sure that you were made aware of our courtesy Navigator service into downtown, Since we are a mile and a half away, we purchased this brand new rig to help ease the transportation needs. We are also only a 3 minute walk to the Portland Streetcar and we provide one way passes for our guests that want to use this means of getting around town.

I hope that we will see you again soon - whether it's in the Spa, at Aquariva, or for another overnighter! Please reach out to this "local" when you're ready and I'd be happy to make your reservation!

Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I recently visited Portland and had a great visit at River's Edge. The staff was friendly and welcoming, and the location was fantastic…right by the water. We walked along the bike path and enjoyed the beautiful Portland scenery. I also had a spa treatment which was lovely and relaxing…they also offer a sauna and whirlpool for guests to enjoy. I checked out the restaurant which was very tasty…a great happy hour menu. I highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hello Ms. Rosie!

Thank you for recommending River's Edge Hotel & Spa! I'm so happy to hear that you spoiled yourself and had a treatment at the Spa - not enough of us plan for a bit of "me time." I hope you have plans to visit Portland again in the near future. Please reach out to me, and I would be happy to assist in making your reservations :-)

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here exactly two years ago and were surprised at how much we got for so little. This time around, almost nothing has changed. The staff were helpful. The suite was enormous. The area was a little outside of the action in Portland, but they made it so easy to get to downtown. First, they had on offer unlimited free vouchers for the nearby streetcar and - get this - free drives anywhere downtown in the hotel's SUV. Surprisingly, the SUV was always available when we wanted it. (I guess everyone else had a car with them.) The hotel also has bicycles to borrow for free. Located right on the Willamette River, 10 minutes out of downtown, and within walking distance to restaurants, a grocery store, and a park, this hotel has had a major impact on why my family loves Portland so much. This is one of the only hotels I've ever returned to. I hope to come back again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite to ensure our two-year-old could fall asleep. The room was enormous, and only...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank moonsammy4
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hello My Canadian Friend!

Your review really made my Monday! You are clearly a top contributor on TripAdvisor and for you to return to our hotel for a second trip...and want to come back for a third one...means everything to us! For your next stay, we will have brand new 50 inch flat screens and mini refrigerators.

I really do appreciate it when our guests are able to take advantage of the amenities that we offer to make their stay easier, and more memorable. Thank you for using our Navigator Service, bikes, and Streetcar passes- we love that!!!

Please make sure to reach out to me and let me know when you are going to be here next - I will make sure that you are in the suite that you enjoyed so much!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stay in this hotel for my wife birthday. The place is decent, but we found out that their service is terrible. My wife forget her shirt in the closet, and we were trying to call the hotel the same day that we check out. We call at 7:30PM, and we were put in on hold for 20 minutes. so we call back again they put us on hold again then we leave the number and ask the reception to call us back when he is not busy. Until 9PM, we never receive any call, so we call back and he wants to put me on hold again. Looks like this hotel doesn't have enough people to handle customers. Finally, I get to talk to this person and he just told me that I need to talk to the service department, and he transfers me to service department. I left a message there, and I don't get any call back.
Next day, my wife called the hotel to find out, and they couldn't local her shirt. That is all they can do for us.
I'm not recommend anyone to stay here. You are better off in different hotel.

1 Thank Pong H
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Hi Pong!

I'm so very sorry for the hassle we put you through when you called the hotel that first evening. We should have taken your name, number, and a description of what was left, and then called you back the next day after checking with the Housekeeping Department. We clearly did not handle the situation well.

I did speak with our Housekeeping Manager (who spoke the next morning to your wife). I believe that conversation was timely, although, we are unfortunately unable to find the shirt. We do have your contact information so if it shows up, please know we will reach out to you and return it.

I realize that one incident can ruin someone's impression. I can't apologize enough and hope that you choose to remember all the good things you experienced while you were here in Portland. If you have further concerns, please reach out to me and I will be happy to assist you.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The hotel is aptly named as, indeed, it is at the edge of the Willamette River…and to get a view of it from your room, you are offered a $40 upgrade fee otherwise you get a very nice view of roof top fans and cooling units on the lower parts of the facility and office buildings on the street side. Our stay package included valet parking which implies that it may be an extra charge for some guests. Personally, I find valet parking to be an irritant especially when there is no self-park option available and the hotel is in a light industrial area well away from the downtown core with nothing much around it.

The lobby and hallways were neat and clean. The room was well lit and spacious. The room carpeting appears to have seen better days. I have stayed in less expensive rooms that came with a mini-fridge and even a microwave, neither were present. The bed was comfortable and the bedding felt fresh and crisp. There was a small balcony and the door to it could be opened fully for access or could be tilted inwards to act as a window for ventilation. There was a spacious work table, a large flat screen TV and very good black out window blinds. WiFi signal was good.

Our package included breakfast and dinner credits to be used at the restaurant next door. It’s a full service restaurant with a varied menu that should satisfy most diners. They offer complimentary streetcar passes but disappointedly ran out of them during our stay. The staff was courteous and efficient, starting with the valet parking attendants to the check in clerks and the hostess at the restaurant.

As a hotel they were no better and no worse than a standard big chain hotel. Their prices, however, were definitely higher even after you take away the “included” dining credits; an attempt to keep you from spending your dining dollars elsewhere. From their web site, I was expecting a little more than what they delivered. In my opinion, for the price, there are many other options available in and around Portland. Although it was not unpleasant by any means, I will most likely not return for a repeat stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello to our Northern Neighbor!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel we are worthy of another try :-( Perhaps knowing that new mini-bars are on the way, along with 50-inch flat screens will help change your mind? The carpet, yes, you are correct, it needs to be replaced and it will be. The timing of that project is key - 24 weeks to order that much carpet and then having it arrive and be installed when the hotel is at its slowest time is best. We are looking at the end of this year, or beginning of next.

I was disappointed to hear that we ran out Portland Streetcar passes - we usually have plenty on hand as it is a popular amenity that we offer our guests. Although we are only a mile and a half from downtown, the Streetcar is such a fun way to travel, and the stop is just a five minute walk from our front doors. I hope you were able to grab a ride in our Navigator - we also offer this transportation to downtown as a courtesy.

I promise, if you give us another chance, we will have those passes for you, along with a mini-bar for your room. Oh - and we have several microwaves that we loan out to our guests, no charge! We will put one in your room prior to arrival :-)

Please reach out to me personally, and I will ensure you have everything you need!

Umatilla, Florida
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Overall I was very pleased with River's Edge. It has a quiet, relaxed feel to it, and there are a lot of small things that make a difference. The rooms were very well thought out. I had a river view balcony room on the second floor with a very comfortable king bed facing the water. The TV pulls out and turns to face the bed. On each side of the bed there is a wall light as well as a bendable reading light. The well-stocked bathroom has a shower stall as well as a big tub and includes full-size shampoo, conditioner and body wash and cotton balls, Q-tips, etc. Right below my balcony was the greenway, a paved walking/jogging/biking trail that follows the river. The staff was courteous and efficient and the room service prompt. The front desk offers a selection of snacks, and there is coffee and tea in the spa lobby. I did not utilize the spa services, so I cannot comment on those.

The only downfalls were no breakfast, no pool, and valet parking which I personally do not care for. They really need to offer a continental breakfast because there is nothing in the immediate vicinity, so your only options are room service, Starbucks a mile down the road or go without. I probably would have rated it excellent if some type of free breakfast were offered. The parking lot is very small, and from what I could see you have to utilize the valet parking -- which gets annoying when you just want to run out to grab breakfast quickly. I don't carry cash, so it was inconvenient having to have tip cash available every time I needed to use the car. Oh -- and surprisingly there was no mini fridge in my room, although there was a sign indicating that you could request one from the front desk.

I did not see any mention of a hot tub on their website, but they do have one as well as a sauna in their spa lounge. There are separate ladies' and mens' lounges.

Room Tip: Choose a river facing room on the second floor or higher
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Hello!

Living in "Nature's Hometown" you definitely can speak to the beauty and uniqueness of our location! Thank you for all your kind notes about River's Edge, I'm just sorry that you weren't able to take advantage of the Spa - it truly is a treasure. We have had several people mention that we need to make mention of our Spa amenities on our webpage and I have started the update on that. You can now find mention of the Steam Room, Sauna, and Tub under our Spa and Fitness tab. We are working on creating an overall amenity tab as well to help highlight these amazing benefits!

Something to note for your next trip - we are getting our new mini refrigerators, and 50 inch Flat Screen TV's in June! Until then, we are staying stocked up at the Front Desk with some drinks and snacks. Of course our restaurant, Aquariva, is just next door and is full service. I'm so sorry if we did not point this out to you. They offer both a continental breakfast, as well as a full service menu that features an amazing Hazelnut French Toast and a Butternut Squash Frittata.

One last thing to note before I excuse myself and go have some breakfast...now I'm starving! Valet Parking is a concern for many guests. Unfortunately, we do not own the parking lot that is adjacent to the hotel. We have to rent spaces from the office complex and therefore are required to have valet. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience of it, I do understand, as I choose not to carry cash as well. I can see how that would be an issue.

Please make sure to reach out to me personally the next time you are in Portland - I would love to handle your reservation!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I love this hotel for so many reasons: close to downtown, free transportation to downtown, free bikes for the river trail, nice room (in the process of becoming more updated with refrigerators and flat screen TVs), the European spa (men and women have separate areas with jacuzzi/sauna/steamroom/showers and many grooming products. The Essential Elements bath products are AMAZING (and super expensive on Amazon). But above all, the staff there is incredible. Always smiling and doing their best to meet whatever need you have. The driver of the Navigator to downtown (a free service, please tip them well) was super friendly and knew the town well. This is the perfect place for a solo trip, romantic for couples and a nice removed hotel for business trips. I would say this is more of an adult oriented place and not specifically for families.

Room Tip: If looking on Priceline or other sites that list specific neighborhoods, this hotel is not located i...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Hi Greg!

Thank you for your review - you made my Monday! We really do have a staff here that is friendly, sincere, and genuine in their desire to make our guests happy...I'm thrilled that you feel that too :-)

Hopefully you will be joining us again soon, now that the sun has decided to make a more consistent appearance. There is nothing quite like that bike along the river on these days! When your journeys do bring you back to Portland, make sure to reach out and let me know so I can assist you with your reservation.

All my best!