“Great weekend celebration”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Draper, Utah
“Great weekend celebration”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Family and friends met at the hotel for a surprise 50th birthday celebration. The staff was excellent in assisting me with planning of our event. Throughout the entire weekend the staff was fantastic. Room was better than expected, food was very good, service was excellent. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kevin A
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hi Kevin!!!

I'm so glad all went to well with the surprise birthday bash!!! It's always stressful planning such a big event...so glad we were able to surpass expectations :-) I know we all had a great time helping you and your guests!

You have made friends at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, so the next time you are in Portland, please make sure to reach out to me so I may personally assist you with your reservations!

Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a nice "staycation" at the River's Edge. Very nice accommodations and fantastic service. Nice rooms with a stunning view of the Willamette River and balconies. Close enough to be convenient to the "night life" downtown and far enough away to avoid the noise and hassle. Great value for the price.

Room Tip: River view rooms are, of course, the way to go.
1 Thank Ripper4
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Hello there my fellow Portlander!

I love when our locals treat themselves to a night out to see "their own backyard!" Your comments about our location hits the nail on the head! We really are so close to downtown, and add on that the Portland Streetcar is just a few minutes walk from here, or we will take you into downtown in the Navigator as a courtesy, and you do have the best of both worlds - super quiet and serene, with the ease of getting to the hustle and bustle.

I hope we will see you at Happy Hour - now that the weather has turned, sitting out on the deck of Aquariva with a class of wine or ice cold beer is just like being on vacation!!!

New York
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed for a week at River's Edge in March. Room had a beautiful view, service was excellent, and dinner at the local restaurant was great. Bathrooms were beautiful and I really liked to the bathroom amenities.

However, breakfast at the restaurant and with room service was only ok. My major complaint is that the beds are really lumpy. I felt like I slept in a well most nights. If the hotels replaced the beds, I would happily give the hotel 5 stars. With lumpy beds, it's a 4 star rating.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank PFDnyc
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Hello My New York Friend!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your extended stay with us went! I've done a little sleuthing to try and figure our who you are so we can address that darn lumpy bed, but I'm not convinced I have the right person. I would love it if you would reach out to me personally so that we can get your room number and investigate that bed. The mattresses are only four and a half years old, but let's be honest, sometimes they don't make it to the manufacturers warranty. We want to replace it if it's bad.

Besides the bed, it does sound like you enjoyed your stay and we agree...those new bathroom amenities are awesome! I hope that the next time you are out here on this coast, you'll reach out to me and let me assist with your reservations.

All my best!

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

My wife & I went for a weekend overnight getaway. We live in the Portland metro area but enjoyed being in a different part of the city than we normally see. The rooms are nicely furnished & fairly typical for this price range hotel. Views of the "hillside" or willamette river are available . We chose the river view, which in late march, was nice. I can understand how some previous reviewers may have been disappointed with the river view in summer, when the cottonwood trees that line the riverbank would be in full leaf, obscuring much of the river beyond. The service is great, & bikes are available to tour the area. The river front path is excellent for walking, jogging & biking. Be advised that if you want to take advantage of the spa services, such as massages, a reservation is recommended. While not really within walking distance of downtown, it would be a quick cab ride away.
The adjoining restaurant & bar, aquariva, is worth a visit and deserves it's own review. Like the hotel, much of the value is in the the view and location, but the food & service are worthy.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hi Ian!

I loved reading that you are a local "getting away" to your own city - very inspiring! I know you were able to take advantage of our bikes, but I'm not sure that you were made aware of our courtesy Navigator service into downtown, Since we are a mile and a half away, we purchased this brand new rig to help ease the transportation needs. We are also only a 3 minute walk to the Portland Streetcar and we provide one way passes for our guests that want to use this means of getting around town.

I hope that we will see you again soon - whether it's in the Spa, at Aquariva, or for another overnighter! Please reach out to this "local" when you're ready and I'd be happy to make your reservation!

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I recently visited Portland and had a great visit at River's Edge. The staff was friendly and welcoming, and the location was fantastic…right by the water. We walked along the bike path and enjoyed the beautiful Portland scenery. I also had a spa treatment which was lovely and relaxing…they also offer a sauna and whirlpool for guests to enjoy. I checked out the restaurant which was very tasty…a great happy hour menu. I highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hello Ms. Rosie!

Thank you for recommending River's Edge Hotel & Spa! I'm so happy to hear that you spoiled yourself and had a treatment at the Spa - not enough of us plan for a bit of "me time." I hope you have plans to visit Portland again in the near future. Please reach out to me, and I would be happy to assist in making your reservations :-)

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here exactly two years ago and were surprised at how much we got for so little. This time around, almost nothing has changed. The staff were helpful. The suite was enormous. The area was a little outside of the action in Portland, but they made it so easy to get to downtown. First, they had on offer unlimited free vouchers for the nearby streetcar and - get this - free drives anywhere downtown in the hotel's SUV. Surprisingly, the SUV was always available when we wanted it. (I guess everyone else had a car with them.) The hotel also has bicycles to borrow for free. Located right on the Willamette River, 10 minutes out of downtown, and within walking distance to restaurants, a grocery store, and a park, this hotel has had a major impact on why my family loves Portland so much. This is one of the only hotels I've ever returned to. I hope to come back again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite to ensure our two-year-old could fall asleep. The room was enormous, and only...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank moonsammy4
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hello My Canadian Friend!

Your review really made my Monday! You are clearly a top contributor on TripAdvisor and for you to return to our hotel for a second trip...and want to come back for a third one...means everything to us! For your next stay, we will have brand new 50 inch flat screens and mini refrigerators.

I really do appreciate it when our guests are able to take advantage of the amenities that we offer to make their stay easier, and more memorable. Thank you for using our Navigator Service, bikes, and Streetcar passes- we love that!!!

Please make sure to reach out to me and let me know when you are going to be here next - I will make sure that you are in the suite that you enjoyed so much!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stay in this hotel for my wife birthday. The place is decent, but we found out that their service is terrible. My wife forget her shirt in the closet, and we were trying to call the hotel the same day that we check out. We call at 7:30PM, and we were put in on hold for 20 minutes. so we call back again they put us on hold again then we leave the number and ask the reception to call us back when he is not busy. Until 9PM, we never receive any call, so we call back and he wants to put me on hold again. Looks like this hotel doesn't have enough people to handle customers. Finally, I get to talk to this person and he just told me that I need to talk to the service department, and he transfers me to service department. I left a message there, and I don't get any call back.
Next day, my wife called the hotel to find out, and they couldn't local her shirt. That is all they can do for us.
I'm not recommend anyone to stay here. You are better off in different hotel.

1 Thank Pong H
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Hi Pong!

I'm so very sorry for the hassle we put you through when you called the hotel that first evening. We should have taken your name, number, and a description of what was left, and then called you back the next day after checking with the Housekeeping Department. We clearly did not handle the situation well.

I did speak with our Housekeeping Manager (who spoke the next morning to your wife). I believe that conversation was timely, although, we are unfortunately unable to find the shirt. We do have your contact information so if it shows up, please know we will reach out to you and return it.

I realize that one incident can ruin someone's impression. I can't apologize enough and hope that you choose to remember all the good things you experienced while you were here in Portland. If you have further concerns, please reach out to me and I will be happy to assist you.