“Serene get away”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonds, Washington
“Serene get away”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have stayed here before and each time I love the peace and quiet of sitting on the deck overlooking the river and listening to the birds sing and the joggers run by. You are just across the river from the city center but you are away from the noise and congestion. Rooms are a nice size with a king bed, couch, chair and desk...and of course, a good sized deck with table and chairs. Spend the extra $10 for a river view room!! Bath is also good sized with separate tub and shower and toilet area. Lots of counter space in the bath and good lighting. Coffee in the room too. Restaurant next door has a very good breakfast and if you go on one of their promotions, that is included, as is valet parking. Have not tried the spa but overheard others that really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Choose a river side room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank teddipet
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Hello!

Aaahhh...Serenity Now! Thank you for being a loyal guest and loving us for all the wonderful things we have to offer. You are totally spot on about the Riverside of the hotel. With the Cottonwood Preserve and the Willamette River withing touching distance, it is just so peaceful and quiet. I hope to hear from you very soon so we can set up your next escape!

Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 30 May 2014

What a pleasant surprise to find this dreamy place right next to the heart of downtown Portland! Everything about this place was flawlessly lavish. The lobby and main desk are impressive, with tasteful stone, wood, and glass design, and a cozy fireplace to sit next to. The citrus-spiked water and fresh flowers at the main desk said 'welcome', as did the polite and cheerful staff who park your car (no fee valet parking only) and check you in. The rooms were simply perfect and lavish. The Euro-style window/door that opens onto the private deck took me back to my old apartment in Switzerland! It is worth it to get the riverside view; in the moring, we lay in bed and watched the crew and Dragon Boat teams practice on the river right outside our room. The bathroom was stone/glass open concept plush. The bed was so comfortable and the walls so solidly soundproof that we sank into luxurious sleep through to morning. In keeping with the health/outdoorsy concept, the hotel has bicycles you can check out to ride along the riverside bike/jogging path. The price (we got a web special the first time, an airline discount the next) for the experience is a total bargain. This place is 5 stars at its best.
We did not take advantage of the spa, but from those who did, I am told it is a decadently indulgent and relaxing experience. The restaurant next door serves wonderful and creative breakfasts and suppers - but that is a different review. We will be back again and recommend River's Edge to our friends!

Room Tip: Pay a few extra dollars for a river view room!
Green Features: A very 'green' hotel, with rooftop garden and small carbon footprint. Native plants used in landscaping.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Hi Barbara!

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell "your story!" Some of the things you mentioned really are what make River's Edge Hotel & Spa such a wonderful gem. I'm so happy that we have made another "forever friend" and hope that we get to see you back again...sooner rather than later!

I am looking forward to hearing from you - until then - all my best,

Redlands, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have only two "complaints" from my stay here:
1) that I only was able to stay one night (and would loved to have stayed longer!)
2) I would have liked a mini-fridge in my room

I had a lovely stay here in a river view room during a short business trip to Portland. The room was clean and well-furnished (with the exception of not having a mini-fridge), the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was spacious and well-supplied with spa style amenities, the view was calm and quiet, the location was convenient to downtown Portland (but felt a world away), and the staff was friendly and helpful.

The river front walking trail was wonderful after 5 hours of flights to get to Portland. It is paved and along an upscale/safe neighborhood, with plenty of people walking, running, dog-walking, bicycling, etc.

I will definitely stay here again when I am in the Portland area.
Notes:
mandatory $25 per night valet parking, no parking alternatives, but they will add the parking fee to your hotel bill upon request
reserve your spa treatments in advance of your stay to ensure you are able to have the ones you want during your stay

Room Tip: I stayed in a third floor river view room. It was generally quiet and peaceful on that side of the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello to Sunny Loma Linda!!!

OK - I'm impressed - you get to travel a lot and I love that you take the time to share your experiences. I myself use TripAdvisor when I'm going to a new place, and I so appreciate other peoples reviews.

I wanted to let you know that our mini fridges are here!!! We are just waiting to install our brand new credenzas - which coincidentally are also here - just confirmed today! We will start to install them very shortly, along with our brand new 50-inch HD TV's :-) So...we have taken care of your #2 issue and all we need now is for you to take care of your #1 issue and come back and see us for a few days!

I am here Monday - Friday and always reachable by email. Please let me know when you are making plans for your next Portland trip and I would love to be able to assist you.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We very much enjoyed our one night stay at the River's Edge Hotel & Spa in Portland. The experience was great from the valet parking to check-in to the room. We upgraded to a river view room with a balcony and it was well worth the extra money. The room was large and modern with a very comfortable bed and a sitting area. The balcony overlooked the river and was on the quiet side of the hotel. The bathroom was large and clean and had both a tub and a separate shower. I definitely recommend this hotel if you are planning a stay near downtown Portland.

Room Tip: I definitely recommend a river view room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mike_B52033
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hi Mike!

Wow - you certainly know your hotels! A Top Contributor with TripAdvisor with 62 reviews and we rank a 5 Circle...Thank You for loving us!!!

I hope that your travels bring you to Portland again soon...please reach out to me personally so I can assist with your reservation.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel is right on the river, with walking pathway's steps outside the hotel doors. The setting is very tranquil for being so close to the city. Staff in friendly - however, the walls are very thin. There was a bachelorette party in the hotel the same weekend a corporate meeting I was there for. The bachelorette party guests were extremely loud (think no sleep from 2 am to 3:30 am) and the front desk was very hesitant to take action. May of my colleagues at the corporate meeting were impacted by all the noise.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank TammyC16
Hi Tammy!

I'm so sorry to hear that we had some guests that forgot their basic manners. It's pretty astounding the way people behave sometimes. We do have a very strict "no party policy" and I'm concerned that you were given the impression that our Front Desk staff wouldn't immediately respond. I appreciate the feedback and will make sure that we address this with all of our staff.

We do proactively "walk" the floors every night to ensure there isn't any funny business going on in the hallways. During these walks, we also have our ears open for any disturbances coming from inside the guest rooms. Our agents will immediately address any issues, on the spot.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please reach out to me and I would be happy to listen.

Columbia, MO
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is very nice. Nice, clean room with balcony, nice lobby, nice (adjacent) restaurant. Great gym, and complementary bike loan are great. The only disappointment is that it is remote from most activities. There is now waterfront path to get into the Saturday market area. You either have to walk on a road to get a bus, or along road or rail tracts a few blocks to street car. They advertise free rides into downtown, but it is only one-way. They also will not drive you across the river, even a short way. Be sure to ask for complementary street car tickets to get yourself back after a day out, and be prepared to get a cab back if out past 10 pm or so at night. Other than location, it was a great stay.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank lac_11
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Good Morning to the Show-Me-State!

I have to tell you that I really appreciated your thoughtful review. Although we may be just outside of downtown, you were able to enjoy everything that we have to offer. The greatest thing about River's Edge is that we can offer a quiet and serene atmosphere, and provide our guests with all the creature comforts (a great restaurant in Aquariva, a first class Spa, spacious and comfortable rooms) so that you don't have to go anywhere. When the mood does strike, we do make it easy for our guests to venture into the hustle and bustle of downtown by providing our complimentary one way Navigator Service, or one way Portland Streetcar passes. Of course there are also those awesome complimentary bikes as well! The bike path goes for miles along the waterfront and although there is a short half mile stretch where you are must navigate through an urban area (which is actually very upscale), it's totally worth doing!

Thank you again, for taking the time to share your thoughts - I'm hoping that we will get to welcome you back in the future!

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have never stayed at a hotel with such great customer service. None of the employees were just "going through the motions." EVERY single employee went above and beyond. A special shout out to the shuttle drivers. They were so friendly and accommodating.
As for the property itself-it was beautiful. The room and bathroom decor were top-notch. And the restaurant next door was excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in every way.

Room Tip: Go for the river view. It was only $10 a night extra. Totally worth it.
Green Features: Very impressive. We in the NW are very environmentally conscious so this is important to us,
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RDM1968
Hello Pacific North West-er!

WOW! Your survey made my morning - seriously! We truly try our best to provide the kind of service that we would all like to receive and to know that we nailed it for you, means everything. Thank you for taking the time to tell us, and the world, that you are a fan of everything River's Edge. I appreciate that you are local-ish, so here's to hoping we get to welcome you back again very soon!

All my best :-)