“A great find in Portland...”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #44 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was a little hesitant in booking this hotel, because it was away from the central downtown area. However, I was very glad we did end up here! The hotel sits right on the water, and we stayed in a Riverside King room on the 3rd floor (highly suggest getting a room on 3rd or 4th floor to get some kind of view of the river although the trees block some of it). My girlfriend had never been to Portland, so this was definitely a 'tourist' kind of trip. The hotel is about 1.5 miles from the heart of downtown but it is only a short 5 minute walk to the Portland Streetcar (costs $1/person) which takes you downtown very easily. We also used the 'Navigator' shuttle service a couple of times that the hotel offers and found it available when we needed a ride. We rented a hybrid car, so the steep $25/day valet service charge was waived!! Remember, Portland is GREEN and eco-minded. The room was spacious and the bathroom had a separate shower and tub along with a large sink area. The bed seemed a bit soft and lumpy, and the pillows were not the best in my opinion. We both slept great in spite of those bed issues. Aquariva is a better than average restaurant with an outdoor patio that sits right on the bike path & river. We did not use the spa services or fitness center but both looked very nice. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who would enjoy exploring Portland by foot and by streetcar.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MontanaAl
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hi MontanaAl!

Thank you for thinking outside the box and giving our gem of a hotel a try! We so appreciate you sharing your story with, well, the world! We really are a very Green Hotel, and that new $5 Daily credit for declining housekeeping service is our newest way of caring for our Mother Earth. I'm so happy you were able to take advantage of it.

The next time you are in our neck of the woods, please reach out to me personally so I may assist you with your reservations.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel was a WONDERFUL surprise. The staff was amazing, helpful and friendly. There was always someone to greet us with a smile and any help we needed. The room was very clean and very well maintained. The TV was "old style", but before the end of June there will be the new flat screens and updated furniture to match. Who needed to watch TV anyway, when there was a beautiful balcony with a lovely riverside view. We did not feel like we were in a city, and the walking path that ran past the hotel was delightful to walk on. Take advantage of the beautifully furnished spa area. We did not exercise in the work out room, although we could have for free, but did use the whirlpool, sauna and steam room. All guests had access to robes and slippers and other amenities to use in the spa area. at no charge. Next time we will make sure to get a massage. Coffee and water were available 24 hrs/day and we took advantage of that. One down side to our stay was having no good place for a light breakfast, and another was the poor lighting in the room. We would have liked at least one bright light. We were there for 4 days and would love to return.

Room Tip: We loved the balcony rooms which face the river.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank elvystep
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Hello Serene and Beautiful!

You really said it all...thank you so much for taking the time to tell everyone else what we already know...we have a real gem here :-)

We are always open to suggestions about menu items for our restaurant, Aquariva. If you would like to reach out to me and fill me in on your thoughts about the morning menu, I would love to hear it. Nothing is ever set in stone, and we aim to please, so give us a shot!

I am looking forward to hearing from you in the future!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Not downtown, and that's a good thing. On the river, sitting on the deck, watching sunrise -- what a beautiful way to start out the day. Downtown is 5 minutes away, but it feels like the other side of the world. Rooms are large, bathrooms huge, very quiet. I wish I could park my car myself. My wife keeps wanting to try some other hotel, but I keep wanting to come back. It's worth it.

Room Tip: Get a room on the river side.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank John V

Hello John!

I have a solution to your wife wanting to stay somewhere else...treat her to a day at the SPA and I bet she'll come on over to our side :-)

Thank you for your loyalty, and for for loving us for who we are! Please reach out to me the next time you are coming to Portland - I would love to assist with your reservations.

From one Bostonian to another - Go Red Sox!!!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Upon arrival it appears elegant. The lobby is nice the staff friendly, but the room was below average old TV, heavily stained carpet, and every corner of the bathroom had body hair...... Yucky! The view of the river is blocked by trees, it's not a bad view but not the river. I would have to say the balcony is the best asset it's quiet and you can listen to the birds.

Room Tip: The riverside rooms
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank loveoregonlife
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hello over there in Coos Bay!

Thank you for your feedback. Yes! Those balconies are amazing!!!

However, the first thing that jumped out about your review was, of course, your comments about the hair in the bathroom. Ick is right. I checked with our Director of Housekeeping and there were no requests made to re-clean, or to move a guest due to issues with the bathroom during the time you were here. If we had known of any issues with your room, we would have remedied them immediately. Please always alert someone if you suspect an issue so that we can investigate and make amends.

As for those darn old TV's - you are right! This is why we are installing new credenzas in two weeks, and brand new 50-inch flat screen TV's after that! Unfortunately, we weren't able to show you examples of our new changes, the sample pieces came in after you checked out. I hope that you will call me personally the next time you are in Portland so that I can reserve you one of our newly updated rooms!!!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

At an average of $175 per night I was expecting more, but not the extra $15 for breakfast and the extra $25 per day for parking Valet or no valet.

For that sort of money, i.e. $215 per night, its going to be good, right? Wrong, its disappointingly average, nothing special to write home about. It really came across as worn down and past its sell by date. The finishing in the rooms was poor, scratched wood panels in the lobby, grubby (and slow) elevators and no real view of the river, contrary to the marketing.

Needs a bit of TLC - and a get real kick on the price structure.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Hi Gabriel,

Thank you for your feedback. I cannot tell a lie, you are correct, that big old red armoire needs to be replaced...so we are! While you were here, we had the brand new credenza in the lobby, as an example of what is being installed in two weeks...I'm sure you saw it...it had that gorgeous TV on top of it. That 50-inch beauty will be going in, in July!

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the, complimentary, upgrade we gave you to the Riverside of the hotel. Since you originally booked a Hillside King, and you were here for six nights, we thought we were doing something nice for you. I'm sorry it turned into a disappointment.

We would love for you to come back to try us out again after the new additions are made. We have a few packages that include parking and breakfast that might make more sense for your needs. Please reach out to me personally and we can come up with something that works for you.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have stayed here before and each time I love the peace and quiet of sitting on the deck overlooking the river and listening to the birds sing and the joggers run by. You are just across the river from the city center but you are away from the noise and congestion. Rooms are a nice size with a king bed, couch, chair and desk...and of course, a good sized deck with table and chairs. Spend the extra $10 for a river view room!! Bath is also good sized with separate tub and shower and toilet area. Lots of counter space in the bath and good lighting. Coffee in the room too. Restaurant next door has a very good breakfast and if you go on one of their promotions, that is included, as is valet parking. Have not tried the spa but overheard others that really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Choose a river side room!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank teddipet
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Hello!

Aaahhh...Serenity Now! Thank you for being a loyal guest and loving us for all the wonderful things we have to offer. You are totally spot on about the Riverside of the hotel. With the Cottonwood Preserve and the Willamette River withing touching distance, it is just so peaceful and quiet. I hope to hear from you very soon so we can set up your next escape!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

What a pleasant surprise to find this dreamy place right next to the heart of downtown Portland! Everything about this place was flawlessly lavish. The lobby and main desk are impressive, with tasteful stone, wood, and glass design, and a cozy fireplace to sit next to. The citrus-spiked water and fresh flowers at the main desk said 'welcome', as did the polite and cheerful staff who park your car (no fee valet parking only) and check you in. The rooms were simply perfect and lavish. The Euro-style window/door that opens onto the private deck took me back to my old apartment in Switzerland! It is worth it to get the riverside view; in the moring, we lay in bed and watched the crew and Dragon Boat teams practice on the river right outside our room. The bathroom was stone/glass open concept plush. The bed was so comfortable and the walls so solidly soundproof that we sank into luxurious sleep through to morning. In keeping with the health/outdoorsy concept, the hotel has bicycles you can check out to ride along the riverside bike/jogging path. The price (we got a web special the first time, an airline discount the next) for the experience is a total bargain. This place is 5 stars at its best.
We did not take advantage of the spa, but from those who did, I am told it is a decadently indulgent and relaxing experience. The restaurant next door serves wonderful and creative breakfasts and suppers - but that is a different review. We will be back again and recommend River's Edge to our friends!

Room Tip: Pay a few extra dollars for a river view room!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hi Barbara!

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell "your story!" Some of the things you mentioned really are what make River's Edge Hotel & Spa such a wonderful gem. I'm so happy that we have made another "forever friend" and hope that we get to see you back again...sooner rather than later!

I am looking forward to hearing from you - until then - all my best,