“Disappointment”

River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #43 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Made our reservations, for 3 nights, three months in advance, Upon arrival was offered a "river view" room for an additional $10 per night, declined and was assigned a room, on the 3rd floor, with a view of an large building air conditioner, overnight parking is $25 per night (no offsite parking available), all parking is via Valet.
Staff on the day and evening shifts were very friendly, Third shift, over three nights, didn't even look up let alone greet me.
Strange, in an expensive hotel, to find a room with an old fashion TV (flat screens were supposed to be installed "next week").
All this and the Hotel was not even close to being crowded (wonder why) THEN the detached restaurant we found out that "Happy Hour" has discounted drinks if you take a table without the view of the River - if you want to view the River drinks are full price.

Room Tip: Given their price and my experience I haven't the foggiest idea.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank John R
Christine A, General Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear G9238FOjohnr: so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. The hillside rooms do not have the river view but we encourage our guests to walk the river path or take a complimentary bike out on one of the riverfront bike trails to enjoy the setting of the hotel. Upon reading your review some time ago we spoke with our night desk and lobby staff regarding their service and with the restaurant Manager stressing that while the happy hour is “bar and lounge centric” and there are floor to ceiling windows to the river, if a guest wants to sit in the restaurant or a restaurant patio we should extend the happy hour courtesies to them also. Thank you for sharing your experience and comments regarding this situation, my apologies for that oversight. Thank you for selecting us for your accommodations, we appreciate and value your patronage. Best regards, Russ Abell, GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,369)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

while the guys fished for steelhead we girls headed to river's edge spa for some pampering. they each had massages and came out dewey and relaxed but i think i won the treatment prize. i had a full body scrub. what a wonderful way to spend an hour and come out feeling refreshed. the facilities are calming, the staff was friendly and capable and the cucumber/strawberry water was just what we needed to rehydrate.

Room Tip: we did not stay in the hotel -- just visited the spa
Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank blevans
Christine A, General Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Blevens: thank you for reviewing your day at the Spa; we have many visitors and Portlanders who come in for the day to decompress. Glad to learn that our therapists and environment were regenerative for you and friends. We look forward to seeing you on your next fishing trip. Best regards, Russ Abell

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a romantic weekend at the Rivers Edge Hotel & Spa and didn't want to leave! The hotel is an inviting oasis for lovers or anyone seeking a nearby PDX retreat for relaxation. The lobby is clean, airy and aromatic...with a great aroma of citrus and aromatherapy wafting through the air thanks to the ahhhhhh-mazing adjacent spa.

Our suite had two great decks, one with a table and chairs to enjoy breakfast or meals and the other with a chaise lounge and chairs for relaxing. The room was clean, spacious and had a corner fireplace, a wetbar, desk, king-size bed, Jacuzzi tub, full shower, a water closet, powder room and two TVs. The staff welcomed us with chilled champagne and dark chocolate covered strawberries and my husband even had them leave rose petals on the bed for us. It was an amazing first impression.

We also enjoyed a couples day at the spa which I highly recommend. If you're looking to rekindle romance, this is the quintessential location for love, romance and R&R. I promise, you'll be thoroughly impressed!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a riverside suite...you'll love the view! Don't sleep on the spa...book a massag...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 1blkhny_va: thank you for the kind words regarding your recent getaway to the hotel. The suites are quite nice and regarding the spa I think you said it all. Thank you for selecting us, we are very pleased that you enjoyed the hotel. Best wishes for a great summer. Best regards, Russ Abell

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We spent 2 nights here in June and despite the cathode ray TVs and other slightly dated facilities (or else would have given 5 stars) we had a wonderful stay. We will be staying here again whenever I return to Portland.

The staff were all very professional (when we went to get our car at 5am, the person on duty actually sprinted across the parking lot to retrieve it. Very nice even thought we weren't in a hurry).

The room was comfortable and the river view with beautiful trees very nice despite being a few minutes outside the downtown area was quite nice - very relaxing.

The food at the restaurant was quite good and the view was great. A nice quiet place to enjoy a relaxing meal. Totally decompressed.

We borrowed bikes and pedaled along the river - lovely.

Being outside the central part of the city, I would suggest they do not charge for parking, since a car is really needed when staying here.

BEST: Service and view
WORST: Cathode Ray TV with a cable connection that went in and out

Room Tip: Chose a room with a river view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

MaikKubo: Thank you for taking the time from your world travels to review your stay at the hotel and we appreciate the kind words toward the service and setting. We have just completed an upgrade by replacing the outdated armoires and tube televisions with credenzas, 50” flat screen HD televisions and mini-refrigerators in all guestrooms. The response has been overwhelmingly positive. Thank you for your visit, we appreciate and value your patronage. Best regards, Russ Abell

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed two weekend nights this past June weekend, this was our first time since the hotel sold and switched from Avalon to Rivers Edge. When it was the Avalon we stayed half a dozen times and all were positive.
This visit was different in that we stayed in a room type which we had never before a Jr suite. We were celebrating and thought we would splurge. We were very disappointed as it seemed like we got the worst room in the whole hotel! It was on the second floor next to the fitness center so the sound of running on a treadmill woke us every morning. There was a bachelor party in the room above us that raged on all night with a shower of beer cans and cigarettes flying by our window. They advertise the Jr suite as some have a furnished balcony and all have separate shower and tub. Ours had no balcony and overlooked the parking lot in front of the hotel and down on the Plexiglas rain shade to the entrance. Our bathroom was a tub shower together with a nasty thin shower curtain that billows from the water pressure and sticks to you.

This is not a bad hotel, it was just a bad stay for us. We checked in late in the day so I am guessing we got the last jr suite, even though our reservation was made a few days before. I would think as a returning guest they would never give us a room like that but I'm not the one making the policy. I will say they staff were friendly and helpful.

So if you stay here don't choose a Jr suite, go with the king river view and I think you will be happy if you book at a good price. Warning they charge $25 a night for parking which is ludicrous as they park the cars in a large lot 10 steps from the front door.Go with a high floor if you want privacy as there is a walking path along the river. However I have stayed on the bottom before and it was not the worst, just get to show off your boodie a little. The Avalon use to set out a continental breakfast on each floor by the elevator, be aware Rivers Edge does not do this any longer. This I did not know and was very disappointed as I went with room service which was terrible and overpriced like most RS.

If you don't know Portland this may not be the best location to stay if you want to explore the city. Its on what we Portlandian's call the South Waterfront which is still developing so not too many places to dine or shop. You have the restaurant next to the hotel which is only open for dinner or happy hour bar food and then the Spaghetti Factory is a five minute walk. Everything else is UP hill. I heard a bellman tell a guest that they have a van which can take you anywhere but that was not offered to us when we were asking for a place to eat lunch. There is a trolley near as well but we never found it. However, if you just want a low key stay with a massage and a view of the river then just bring some snacks and stay in.

Room Tip: Only get a king river view, high floor and try to find your own parking spot nearby to avoid the $25...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Fresca12

Dear Fresca12: thank you for completing a review regarding your recent stay with us. I always hate to hear that we have not met the expectations of our guests, especially repeat guests of the hotel, and you have my apologies for the room assignment and our failure to advise you of the shuttle service to downtown. The parking here is odd, the parking lot adjacent to the hotel is owned by the commercial buildings and therefore even though it is a surface lot, it is the same as a downtown hotel with a parking garage. We have attempted to make it as painless as possible with unlimited in and out privileges but there continues to be a fee for parking. The Portland trolley does stop in the adjacent South Waterfront district and services all of Portland. We would love to have you back to stay with us; if I can be of service please do not hesitate to call me, Russ Abell, General Manager at the hotel telephone number. Thank you for selecting us for your weekend and we hope to be able to redeem ourselves with you in the future. Best regards, Russ Abell

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I've stayed at the River's Edge twice, and had great experiences both times.

There are a couple of things to know up front. First, you'll have access to all of the facility's spa amenities, but know up front that they're gender-segregated and clothing optional. Second, Portland is awful for parking (I highly recommend the 2012 article "Insufferable Portland" for more information on this topic), and though they've tried to overcome this issue, the River's Edge Hotel and Spa is unable to provide self-parking. There's no street parking within easy walking distance. Their solution is to provide valet parking, and while it will cost you $25 per day, the valet parking staff are extremely friendly and efficient. Neither of these items are overwhelming negatives, but you should know about them up front.

That said, this is a really lovely hotel. My better half and I enjoyed two different rooms on our two stays, and both were lovely, very clean, very comfortable. (The second time we stayed there, there was a little patch of carpet that the housekeeping staff had missed, and they were quick about getting it sorted out once we'd let the front desk know.) The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. On our second stay, we got one of the riverfront rooms, and enjoyed a wonderful afternoon sitting on the balcony and watching the river with the relative privacy of the tall trees along the water. That second room also had a lovely sitting area and fireplace, and my better half enjoyed a relaxing soak in the big tub in our room. If you want to get out and about, the hotel provides a free shuttle service into the city center, as well as complimentary bicycles to check out. We also enjoyed a nice Sunday brunch (not buffet style, ordered from a menu) at the adjacent restaurant. We both enjoyed our meals, which I'll describe as Portland/Reality fusion cuisine - just enough Portland influence without being ridiculous.

I also appreciated that when I had a couple of concerns about the first two items, one of the managers made the effort to reach out to me so that she could explain the reasons behind why the hotel operated that way. She and her staff are committed to great customer service and will work to ensure that their guests enjoy their stay, and that kind of attention is too rare in the hospitality industry. The next time I'm in a position to take my sweetie up to Portland for a fun weekend, I'll definitely be giving the River's Edge Hotel and Spa a call.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but if you've got the money to spend, the riverfront rooms are really t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BeExpeditionary
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hello my Expeditionary Friend!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your story - we really do appreciate it. More so, I appreciate the opportunity to win your business back! Truly great customer service is only achieved when the guest is willing to work with us. Open, and honest dialogue is what solves issues and we are happy to facilitate that.

I'm so happy to hear that all went well this trip and that we will be seeing you in the future!

All my best,

Christine

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was a little hesitant in booking this hotel, because it was away from the central downtown area. However, I was very glad we did end up here! The hotel sits right on the water, and we stayed in a Riverside King room on the 3rd floor (highly suggest getting a room on 3rd or 4th floor to get some kind of view of the river although the trees block some of it). My girlfriend had never been to Portland, so this was definitely a 'tourist' kind of trip. The hotel is about 1.5 miles from the heart of downtown but it is only a short 5 minute walk to the Portland Streetcar (costs $1/person) which takes you downtown very easily. We also used the 'Navigator' shuttle service a couple of times that the hotel offers and found it available when we needed a ride. We rented a hybrid car, so the steep $25/day valet service charge was waived!! Remember, Portland is GREEN and eco-minded. The room was spacious and the bathroom had a separate shower and tub along with a large sink area. The bed seemed a bit soft and lumpy, and the pillows were not the best in my opinion. We both slept great in spite of those bed issues. Aquariva is a better than average restaurant with an outdoor patio that sits right on the bike path & river. We did not use the spa services or fitness center but both looked very nice. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who would enjoy exploring Portland by foot and by streetcar.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MontanaAl
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hi MontanaAl!

Thank you for thinking outside the box and giving our gem of a hotel a try! We so appreciate you sharing your story with, well, the world! We really are a very Green Hotel, and that new $5 Daily credit for declining housekeeping service is our newest way of caring for our Mother Earth. I'm so happy you were able to take advantage of it.

The next time you are in our neck of the woods, please reach out to me personally so I may assist you with your reservations.

All my best,