“Beautiful river view within a great city”
Review of River's Edge Hotel

River's Edge Hotel
Ranked #44 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We chose this hotel as we did not want to stay in the city centre. Easily walkable into the city if you like the fresh air, or the hotel have a complimentary car service. All the staff were very friendly. The rooms were a good size - we stayed for a week and found the space really good. Great size bathroom! We had a river view which was beautiful and again, definitely nice when staying for a long time. There is a great track to walk and run.
Can recommend Deschutes Brewery in town for great beer and the best ribs we have ever had!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed 4 November 2009

My husband and I stayed here recently for a last minute booking. The nightly rate seemed good for what it was but we were very surprised by the $20 valet parking that was almost required. We should have read the Tripadvisor reviews beforehand but we didn't have time to do so. We are very well traveled and we have never been to a hotel that doesn't have self parking for its guests nearby. At first I didn't want to spend the $20 for valet so I was told to park on the neighborhood sidewalk. Well, that was easier said than done since the nearest sidewalk where parking was allowed was about 15 minutes walk away. The majority of the hotel's guests being visitors to the area and not knowing the streets well, I cannot believe the Avalon expects the guests to drive around and around in search for parking spaces. Eventually I realized that I would have to park far away and walking back to the hotel in the evening when I was exhausted from my trip did not appeal to me. So we ended up paying the $20 for valet.

The room itself was very clean and nice. They have complimentary sauna and hot tub in the spa locker rooms for the guests so that was good. We did not partake but there is a hotel shuttle that drive guests downtown so that's a plus.

Reviewed 18 October 2009

The hotel is right along the Willamette River and offers a great walkway. Excellent restaurant right next door that offers room service (plus a all night menu). Drawback is it’s a 15 minute drive to downtown Portland. The offer a town car but we choose to drive ourselves. I would suggest it for out of town folks. Staff was great and always willing to offer help. We didn’t use the spa it looks like it was priced reasonable. One of the odd draw backs was the front door was not a automatic style and they didn’t have a door man when it’s wet could present a problem for some. Overall a very nice place and great beds. Its also LEED certified which is always a nice feature

1  Thank Dave L
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The hotel has a contemporary decor, located in a quite business district, and overlooks the Willamette River. It was a great choice if you are wanting to stay away from the downtown area, but is still within a 5-8 minute drive away. The staff, morning and night, were very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was delicious, with health conscious alternatives. The rooms are very ECO-friendly! Kudos.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We landed in Portland for a memorial service and thankfully Avalon became a home away from home. Right out the door is a wonderful running trail along the river. There is breakfast on your floor and a beautiful free health club at your disposal. The staff was kind and helpful and the price on booking.com was right. Made a difficult trip a little bit easier.

Reviewed 27 September 2009

When we arrived, we found out the hotel had been overbooked, and they did not have the 4 person room available we had reservations for (i.e., 2 Kings). So instead of providing a better room they did have for the same price, like a well run hotel would have (suite), we were downgraded to a 1 King room with a springy roll away. We were suppose to feel good about this, becuase they said they would only charge us for the 1 King in the room.

When we went for our reserved spa massages, we found out the spa had overlooked our reservations, and they did not have the massage staff available for us. My understanding is that double booking is common, to ensure the massage therapists are always busy...they don't seem to care that this means others do not get their confirmed wellness massages.

The entire experience can be described as very poor management. The staff themselves did work to avoid us from complaining regarding how we were being treated...but did not actually help us get comfortable (I don't think management would have approved). My back from the roll away hurts now as I write this...and of course I did not get the massage we booked...so I feel worse now on Sunday than before I left for our "relaxing weekend at the spa".

I did give the hotel/spa 1 star, but only becuase we did not have cockroaches/bed bugs and the staff were embarrassed at how we were treated by hotel/spa management policy's.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2009

I'll start off by saying that I don't like any of my family members being lied to. My wife and I (both retired) travelled ( in two cars) with my daughter and her husband who have a 3 month old baby. We all booked a one night stay ( 2 rooms) through a Portland tourism site so the rate was reasonable at $109/night. with free parking instead of the $19/ night charge At our last stop on the Oregon coast the night before, we had discussed that perhaps we would see if we could stay an additional night at the Avalon when we arrived in Portland.
My daughter and her husband shopped with us at Woodburn, south of the city, but they decided that, with the baby getting tired, they should head out to the Avalon, while we stayed and did some more shopping in Wilsonville. Consequently my daughter and family arrived at the hotel about an hour before we did. While checking in, they asked about availability for another night stay and were told by the young lady at hotel reception that their room wasn't available another night and that the only room the hotel had free was $399 per night., otherwise they were fully booked. When we arrived an hour later my wife asked the same question and we were told that the hotel was filling up quickly for that additional night, so we should decide as soon as posible if we wanted that room for 2 nights. When we mentioned that our daughter and husband had checked in so we would both want our reservations extended the extra night, there was some major back-peddling going on behind the reservation desk and we were told that both rooms would be available at $116/night plus $19/night parking. ( the Portland website offer included free parking when we reserved, but that offer wasn't available through the hotel itself for the second night.). We said we would discuss it with the rest of the family and call down asap. It was only when we mentioned to my daughter that the rooms were available that we learned that they had been told something entirely different and we can only conclude that two young looking adults ( both 27yrs old) with a baby didn't fit the demographic requirements of this little hotel so weren't welcome in the establishment and were quoted an outrageous rate to discourage them from staying on another night.
As you can imagine this angered me greatly and I was already unimpressed by the hotels' requirement that all parking is valet parking.
When I declined the valet's request for my keys I was told it was " a liability issue " as they only had half the number of parking spaces than the number of rooms in the hotel....WHA? I was already parked and wasn't going out again so why did he need my keys? I asked...just put the tag on the mirror and I'll keep the keys...again I got a "hotel policy" mumbled answer. I didn't give him my keys as I had another trip to the car that I planned on making later and I think he sensed my anger as he didn't push the matter ...he did, however give me the parking chit and placed the tag on my inside mirror, asking that I give him the keys later when I had finished. which I reluctantly did. I noticed that the valets had patrons' cars parked on the sidewalks.....basically anywhere they could find so I am guessing that if I had driven up and unloaded in front of the hotel my car would have ended up there or being moved around as the evening drew on.
I hate valet parking. I don't trust them and I don't give anyone the keys to my car.....so in most cases at other hotels patrons are given a choice of valet or park it yourself further away...which I am quite happy to do. This hotel does not give you a choice as, by their own admission, they are under-alloted in their parking spaces. I found that annoying. This same valet insisted on helping my son-in-law with their bags despite my son-in-law's declining the offer. When they got to the room my son-in-law told the valet to leave the cart in the hall ( my daughter was breast feeding in the privacy of the room) but the valet still proceeded to enter the room at which point he had to be told firmly to leave.
Then there was the elevator that upon reaching the 5th floor ( top floor) began to shudder and vibrate before it came to a stop........disconcerting and unacceptable in any establishment, let alone one that has the delusion that it is a world class hotel.
Our room looked out onto the air conditioning units and a railway. The kids got a room overlooking the river..same price..why?
My wife thought she'd help bring down our largest suitcase when she was checking out. I intended to take it out to the car because there was a lot of shuffling of stuff in the trunk in order to get it all in. Because the valet had the keys he got the car from the lot and proceeded to take stuff out of the trunk on the street and lay the large suitcase in...scratching the rear bumper as he did ( it was very heavy). He also had no idea that I had already carefully placed my $2,000 CPAP machine in the trunk..a very delicate and breakable machine. When I arrived with our other suitcase I had to take it all out...on the street in front of everyone instead of the safety of the parking lot and re-arrange it in order to get everything in. Now that wouldn't have had to happen if there was not a valet stipulation at this hotel.
I found the hotel tries to be more upscale and "posh" than it really is and if you aren't wearing Armani or the like then you're second rate. It's trying to be trendy and "executive class" and it just doesn't cut it in my view. Very pretentious in it's appearance and in the attitude of the some of the staff. It does not have a warm, friendly atmosphere. I would not stay there again. I agree with some of the other evaluations that it is also hard to find if you're coming from the north or west. It's easier from the south

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family