“Great Place New PDX” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #73 of 138 Hotels in Portland
San Antonio, TX
“Great Place New PDX”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

I stayed two different times at this hotel on my trip to Portland. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Public transportation is only a few blocks away, but from what I gather, it's not the best area to be walking around alone at night.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMCIPDX, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Portland International Airport, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We always attempt to give our guests outstanding service as without you we would not be in business. There are several public transportation avenues near our hotel and though it can be a concern to walk in an unfamiliar area I can say that nearly all of our front desk associates take public transportation. And even walking after 11:00pm to the Parkrose/Sumner Transit Center I have not had an employee relate any safety issue. However, for any guest uncomfortable with walking, we offer 24 hour shuttle service to the Airport. The Max Red Line (light rail) has a stop at the Airport, simply call us when you have arrived at the Airport Max Station and we will send the shuttle for you. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again next time you are in Portland.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Czech first
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stay here on a Park & Fly, stayed 1 night parked car for 14 days. Got a great rate on the room, very comfortable rooms and free shuttle service to the airport. Very convenient to the freeway, easy on/off access. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of your last stay. We are pleased to here that the hotels amenities and rooms were to your liking. We are fortunate enough to have long term parking space available year round and competitive package rates as we understand it can be a huge benefit to our travelers. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again next time you are traveling out of Portland.
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed here for a couple nights while visiting friends in the area.

Having been warned by other reviewers about the train noise, I asked and got a room over the lobby. It was certainly quiet at night!

The room was clean and well maintained. There was plenty of room for me and my two kids to spread out: there were two queen beds, a big mini-fridge, a desk, a sofa, and a small hall to the bathroom.

The pool was well maintained, but the whirlpool looked iffy. I took advantage of their tiny fitness center and was happy no one else did -- had more than two people been in the closet of a room at one time, or had someone else used the fitness machine next to the one I was using, we would have literally rubbed elbows!

The breakfast bar was plentiful, and when I asked for a banana they replenished the entire bowl. I appreciated that they had both the local paper and Wall St. Journal complimentary in the breakfast room, rather than the usual USA Today.

The staff that worked there were all very nice and friendly. Lucky for me I speak a little Spanish and was able to converse with the cleaning staff when they asked me when I would be out of the room so they could clean it.

The elevator is very slow, so use the stairs when you can. The hallway on the 2nd floor was very hot until I noticed the a/c was off (it was almost freezing on the main level). The rooms did heat up fast and took a while to cool down.

If I had to stay in hotel in Portland again, this was in a good location, near the airport, freeways, etc. and I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train tracks. Or, if one is not available, ask for earplugs.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and offering an unbiased review. Your travel tips for our hotel were a wonderfully helpful addition for future guests, especially those relating to light sleepers. Our staff attempts to offer exceptional service and I am pleased to hear that they were attentive to your needs. Thank you again and safe and happy travels to you!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights while visiting our daughter and her husband. The suite we stayed in was roomy and pleasant. It gave us room to entertain our family comfortably. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was ample. It is located near 2 different freeways and it is a quick trip to the Columbia Gorge. We will be staying here again when we return for a family visit.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Olive30
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We are glad you and your family had a nice time here and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Spencer, IA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights on July 1 and July 2, 2012 while exploring the Mt. Hood and Portland areas. We are Choice Hotels rewards members and stay in many Comfort Inns. This was better than the average Comfort Inn. We stayed in one of the two room suites. The extra space was nice and the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. But there was a bit of a musty smell in the room that never seemed to go away. Maybe it's because the suites are not used very often. The only downside to the room was that there was no closet or place to hang up any clothes. There also was not a luggage rack for our luggage. So we had to use the coffee table or desk and end tables for our luggage and clothes. The front desk staff was wonderful--very friendly and cheerful and helpful. The location and condition of the hotel was good and for the price we paid I think the hotel was a very good value. We did not use the pool area, but the pool area did look very nice. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drwlaw2
Thank you so much for your review. After receiving your review I advised our housekeeping staff of your comments and they are routinely freshening up the room as I am sure you were correct and the room may not have been rented recently. Also, in case you will be renting a similar room from us in the future, there is a closet in the main room and not in the bedroom; it is next to the sink. Thank you again for staying with us!
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Stayed one night on July 5th. I stay at a lot of hotels in the Comfort Inn "level", so I pretty much know what I'm going to get, but this was one of the best in the chain. Clean, excellent location, and one of, if not the friendliest/helpful general manager working the front desk I've ever met. I'll definitely be staying here again the next time I'm in the area. Sure - if you want uber luxury and feel like dropping a ton of cash, you can find fancier places, but overall, if you need a room for a night or three right near the airport, at a reasonable price, with a friendly staff, you just aren't likely to do better than this.

Edit: My room was near the front, so the train didn't bother me.

Room Tip: Book near the front of the property if you can.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank NashvlMike
, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Portland International Airport, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Mike,
Thank you so much for your kind words. It was lovely to meet and speak with you and I wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your loyalty to both our hotel and with Choice Privileges. Respectfully, Farrah Matthis
Washington State
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed here after coming to Portland for the night. We have stayed here many times before and know that it will be a nice room with a good location. It's a good location to the airport and the rooms are clean and comfy. Breakfast is good and the staff is helpful. Overall a decent place to stay!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happyjtravels17
I wanted to personally let you know how much we appreciate your continued patronage. Thank you again for your business and response on TripAdvisor and we hope to see you again the next time you are in Portland.