“Beer and History in Portland”

Pubs of Portland Private Tours
Ranked #34 of 111 Tours in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Our tours will allow you to experience, first hand, the best of Portland's beer culture. Discover why Portland is known as "Beervana". Tours are "boutique style" (no more than 12 attendees) creating maximum interaction with your tour guide. Guides are brewing professionals with knowledge of all beer styles and beer production. All tours are “eco-friendly” being conducted using Portland's Tri-Met light rail and trolley system - one of the finest in the U.S. Tours last a minimum of 5 hours and will visit a minimum of 4 (usually 5) of the best breweries and brewpubs. We begin and end in the heart of beautiful downtown Portland. Many different beer styles will be sampled and those styles discussed. Tours include a custom beer evaluation sheet to track and score the beers sampled. Beer ingredient samples will be examined and discussed to educate you about beer styles and recipe development.
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My husband and I went on a Pubs of Portland tour today with Tom, one of the company guides. He took us and two other couples to 5 downtown Portland breweries, getting around using the street car system, which only costs $1 for the day, and some walking. Be aware that no food or beverages are included in the tour, and are additional costs. There are also no behind the scenes brewery tours, which we had expected. However, Tom was very knowledgeable about the beer making process, and brought along samples of roasted barley to taste so he could explain how the roasting process affects the beer. We also got to smell samples of different kinds of hops, and he explained how the basic ingredients work together. Tom gave us some history on the pubs and some of the old buildings we passed, and was a fun guy to hang out with. He knew a lot about all different kinds of beer, including foreign brews, and the history of beer making. We're glad we went, although we think the tour could be explained better on their website so there are no misconceptions. Some of the people who started with the group left after the first stop. Two of the ladies told me they were mad that we would be paying $30/person to be chaperoned around to pubs. Unfortunately they didn't stay around for Tom's mini lessons along the way, but I agree that it was expensive for what you get. We did appreciate Tom's passion for beer and the brewing process. I would have given the tour a 4 or 5 if it were cheaper, and better explained up front, or included some tours of the breweries. Tom did a great job.

3  Thank colt123
alphaking, Owner at Pubs of Portland Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2014

I'm very sorry that there was some minor confusion for a couple of people. Our price does not include any food or beer samples. We keep the price low at only $27 with the cash discount so that you can choose the beers that you would like to sample. We also don't follow any particular schedule (we usually spend 5.5 to 6 hours), just go at the pace of the group and go to 5 good places. Other tours which charge upward to $85 only go for 4 hours and 4 places. Additionally, they just order a couple of pitchers of their choice and pass them around. This may not be the style of beer that you prefer. Our tours are not geared toward just drinking. They are designed to be like "beer college on rails" and the goal is to teach participants overall beer appreciation. The average that most people spend fro the afternoon is $62 and are able to pick what they want.
Regarding actual entrance into the breweries; This is totally dependent upon the day of the week and if brewers are present plus are not in the middle of a brew.
Come back and visit again and the next tour is on me !!
Cheers, Marc

There are newer reviews for Pubs of Portland Private Tours

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We had an excellent time. We had a group of four and Marc took us exactly where we wanted to go. He is extremely knowledgable about not only the breweries but brewing beer - he is an expert, so you are getting a tour from the best. He was funny, informative and a great tour guide. We had a great time and I would highly recommend this tour to anyone heading to Portland.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

If you like beer and want some interesting info on beer, breweries, and Portland, give Marc a call. He is extremely knowledgable and a lot of fun. We spent 3 days in Portland (have never been there) and the 6 hours we spent with Marc was definitely the highlight. He sets up the tours differently, but on ours we visited 5 breweries/brew pubs.
Thanks Marc!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

The party of guys I brought to Portland are all avid beer aficionados, our fun guide who was also a brewer taught us a lot. We had a a ton laughs, saw a lot of little known hidden gems of portland and tasted amazing beers. Cheers to Pubs of Portand tour.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I loved taking this tour and have absolutely no regrets about it. Marc was very informative and friendly and I feel like I actually learned a lot about beer from him.
We used lots of public transit all over the city which was great because it took me to parts of the city I didnt venture to yet and got me more used to travelling around Portland. I'm hopefully planning another trip in July and will take the same tour.

Thanks so much for the great review. I hope you can come back again next year and take a different route with me. Cheers, Marc