“Just what we were looking for: inspiring, interesting and beautiful!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tierra Soul Urban Farm Guesthouse
Ranked #19 of 34 Portland B&B and Inns
“Just what we were looking for: inspiring, interesting and beautiful!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We were looking to 'experience' Portland and stay somewhere that was unusual, had atmosphere and would be memorable. We did not want a chain-hotel. We wete not disappointed. The house itself is very pretty in a rustic way, with tiny attention to details which make the whole place quite magical. The rooms are lovely and the beds luxurious! The hosts were REALLY sweet and went out of their way for us when we sprung it on them that we wanted to stay for longer! The other people we met there were all interesting and we loved sitting around talking to them. We were so relaxed sitting on the porch watching the world go by. I'll remember it as a highlight of my holiday. It won't be for everyone; you're staying in someone's house and to get the most out of it you need to buy into their way of life whilst you are there. Do that and an exciting new experuence awaits you! Thank you Tierra Soul.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 16 August 2013

So cozy, so comfortable, so welcoming. It's not fancy, well its much fancier than my home, but not in a fancy hotel sense. We stayed in the loft, my daughter, my son his friend and myself. It is a great big space. The kids were disappointed I had not booked the space for the tail end of our vacation.
Kevin was there managing the home while the Arias Clan was out rocking at Pickathon, he did an excellent job showing us our space and letting us know what was what. So informative of where to go for food, groceries and other.
It loved the vibe, the goats, the smells, the decor, the soft beds, the homemade soap and complete privacy. The neighbourhood was perfect for the experience we wanted. A quick walk to Mississippi To the food carts or other great eateries!
Stay here if you want a B&B without the breakfast. We will find ourselves here if we trip to Portland again.

Room Tip: Check with them if you have a party larger than 3 to get the right room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Washington State
Reviewed 23 April 2013

My son and I stayed here in March. We loved the peaceful atmosphere and the sustainable living philosophy. The bed was soft, the room comfortable, the decor entertaining and the old wood flooring lovely. The animals were a really fun touch. I suggested that the website is unclear as to if breakfast is served or not (it's not). There are very good places to eat close by and maybe breakfast is an option the family will consider in the future. I really liked the selection of unique teas and homemade soap as well as the hot water bottle in the room. Krista seems like someone I would be friends with if I lived in Portland. The home is welcoming and feels safe, like staying with a cousin. There are no locks used here as other reviews have mentioned. That is a bit disconcerting since you are in a city with a certain crime level. I didn't like that someone could just walk in the house but accepted it as a value the family seems to hold. Maybe the hosts will reconsider this practice for the guests' peace of mind. This is a unique place to stay and we enjoyed the adventure.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Violet38
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My son and I booked two nights in the caravan, and then a third night later in the week. We were driving through on our way to California. The caravan was cold and rustic. Only one bed was made and there were no efforts to get us extra linen for the other bed. We were told there were no extra blankets, even though the nights were very cold.

When we drove through on our way back from California on the third night, our garbage from the week before was STILL on the table, wet towels in the bathroom and both beds were still unmade. Unfortunately, the owners appeared to be very busy and we felt a little unwelcome. Disappointed that there was little effort made, no internet or breakfast. Maybe, winter is not the best time to visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank travellingmomandson
tierrasoul, Owner at Tierra Soul Urban Farm Guesthouse, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
I have procrastinated on responding to this review because it was so upsetting for me given the actual circumstances.

The truth is we generously made special arrangements for these guests to book the Caravan for 2 nights and then one night later in the week to accommodate their trip down to California in the in between days. We are a family run business and request a two night minimum stay so we can maintain a minimum level of sanity in our home. If these guests had booked 3 consecutive nights their room would not have been cleaned during that time. I am really not sure why they would have expected us to clean their own mess for their return when in effect it was one booking. When they did leave they left the place in a horrible state for us to clean, not something we are used to as most of our guests are very respectful and leave the rooms in great condition.

We are happy to accommodate guests and remedy problems that arise. In this case, the guest asked for extra blankets and didn't mention the second bed needing to be made. We would have been more than happy to have made the bed and it was in fact our error. However, we cannot fix things that are not communicated to us. Imagine if she had just asked for sheets and we were able to apologize and resolve it immediately. We did offer her 100% wool blankets to go on top of the down comforter and quilt that were already there. She was unhappy with them. The comment that the Caravan was cold is confusing at best since it has a full and cozy heating system. We have slept in it ourselves. It IS an RV though which we make no attempt to hide in our description.

All these problems could have been solved if the guest had communicated with us in a clear and kind way.

p.s. We do have internet both in the Caravan and the house which is available to all our guests.
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Wonderful unique guest house! The hosts were wonderful and I greeted by their beautiful children who gave me a tour of the garden and introduced me to the ducks and goats. My room was very comfortable and cozy, and I felt welcome to use the other rooms on the main floor as needed. The guest house is in an ideal location for anyone interested in music, good food and of course coffee - Mississippi Ave is only a block away.
I look forward to returning for hopefully a longer stay, so that I may learn more about permaculture and urban farming.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I had an excellent stay here! The hosts were very friendly. I liked having all of the other guests around and activity. It felt very homey. The kitchen is amazing! My room was quaint. It was the Barn Dance room. The bed was very comfortable. A lot of room to spread out. I just felt very comfortable.

The house was SO convenient! I walked to Mississippi and ate at the food trucks next to Prost! German restaurant. I walked up and down Mississippi and visited all of the amazing little shops.

Also, the drive to downtown was very easy.

It is Portland. Go with an open mind and you'll have an amazing time!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Travel_Happy00
Central NY
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Great atmosphere in a location close to restaurants, brew pubs, stores and parks. The urban farm location and theme is most interesting. Accommodations are very nice with shared common areas including kitchen, bathroon, dining room, conservatory and grounds. Beds and bedrooms are very comfortable. The hostess, Caitlin, was very friendly and helpful. I extended my initial stay and have already booked my next stay. A hidden gem in a great location in Portland.

Room Tip: Each room has a theme. The rooms I have stayed in were very comfortable. I slept better than I do at...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family