“Went Back Every Day of Vacation!”
Review of Meat Cheese Bread

Meat Cheese Bread
Ranked #1,099 of 4,270 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
Calgary, Canada
“Went Back Every Day of Vacation!”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I still drool when I remember the lunches from Meat Cheese Bread. The breakfasts were great, but the lunches, ZOMG! Actually, the steak breakfast sandwich is to die for. The lunch sandwiches? I couldn't pick a favorite. I love everything about this place: the friendliness, the hole-in-the-wall feel, the philosophy of eating locally and humanely raised food, and the FLAVOR! I have read people complain about the $8 sandwiches. Order one! Two people can share these babies. They are massive and STUFFED with meat. The homemade bread is outstanding, the homemade pickles made me want to cry, the slow-cooked and shaved meat was a religious experience. We returned to this place every single day when we vacationed in Portland -- and sometimes, twice a day!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank girlfoodie

Portland OR
“Awesome Breakfast Burrito”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I've heard the sandwiches are great as well, but I can never bring myself to order anything but the breakfast burrito. It's only $5, it's delicious (especially with some Cholula hot sauce), and just the right size to fill you up without feeling like you're stuffed. And it's cozy, and the workers are friendly (Portland friendly, which is a different friendly than most places).

Visited May 2011
1 Thank obrej
Burlington, Vermont
“Yummy food on hidden side street”
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We certainly would have never found this place on our own but staff at our hotel recommended it when we asked for a sandwich shop that served healthy, local food. Home Run! I waited too long to write this review to actually remembe4 what we got but I do remember the soup was thick, chunky and awesome, the bacon on our sandwich was 'to die for' and choosing just one homemade cookie for dessert was difficult. They had a great away of interesting sodas too.

Small, unpretentious, cool shop.

• Visited October 2011
Portland
“good, but overrated and over priced”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I've been several times, and nothing impresses me. I can't even eat the potato salad, which is usually a favorite. It's fine, but pushing $10 for a sandwich, I expect better.

• Visited October 2011